Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,561 of 4,314
Cool that you tested that. i use also the sigma 11 for my aries femto streamer and another network streamer, a nice psu. think i try this also, have a spare sigma 11 pcb in the attic. may i ask you which transformer you used, when i look at the sony powerbrick with 45va i should be a 20v/2.5a or higher transformer. do you used r8 10k and r10 16k? thanks for the info, well done :).

I built this for a while, but did not post about it, and as a result it had been burned-in for months.

Please be sure that you know how to DIY. Just a kind reminder that PSU can kill.

this is R3 part number 71-RN55E1001B

this is R10 part number 71-RN60D-F-16K.

transformer Antek
AN-0212 - 25VA 12V

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,562 of 4,314
thanks for the info, i done a quick measurement, the sony dont take more then 9 watt from the brick, so 25-30va is fine. project list is allready finished @ mouser, like also the vishey resistors.

don't worry, build a lof of amps over the last 30 years, from 1-350 watt :) i have some here:
https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/authors/rumina.406591/

hope i can start the t2 mini soon, takes a while over @ head-case :wink:

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,563 of 4,314
thanks for the info, i done a quick measurement, the sony dont take more then 9 watt from the brick, so 25-30va is fine. project list is allready finished @ mouser, like also the vishey resistors.

don't worry, build a lof of amps over the last 30 years, from 1-350 watt :) i have some here:
https://www.head-fi.org/gallery/authors/rumina.406591/

hope i can start the t2 mini soon, takes a while over @ head-case :wink:

oh :wink: I didn’t know you were over there too! My apologies :wink:. It is always safety first LOL. About that mini T2, I am also waiting! I see that you built AMB previously! Stocking spare boards is also my habit which slowly draining my money away lol....

yes, I love Vishay. I wonder what chassis you will be putting her in.

BTW, to make the DC plug, Sony uses Vaio Laptop Plug. I bought mine off Amazon and spliced into it

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,564 of 4,314
yes sony with their special plugs:rolling_eyes: but i have a lot of power bricks in the attic, i throw away old gear/recyle but never their power bricks, hope i find the right one, had some sony laptops over the years. otherwhise thanks for the tip.

i have some case left, for the power brick i use a simple one. for the t2 mini i would like a one case design like the dynahi - i have to many silver boxes around :).

Jan 29, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,565 of 4,314
I just discovered how to use DMP Z1 to streaming online contents at it best.

1/ An adequate LDAC source that has good streaming MQA ...etc , and battery life with good display. I choose Dx160 from Ibasso. Bluetooth 5.0 capable

2/ External Linear Power Supply. I paid attentions that Bluetooth LDAC on battery is depleted quickly and doesn’t sound as good as direct out of the Dx228ex that I has. Until I have the LPSU in play

3/ Direct source and LDAC as quality

4/ a good router and 5G WiFi

Voila, a portable screen for Tidal streaming toward the DMP Z1 with everything at it best

Picture for illustration

*i has done some many comparisons* both DX220 and Dx160 are all better at streaming toward DMP Z1 as the LDAC is obviously superior to SBC or AAC, and that I believe anyone can observe also on such system. However, I do opt for Dx160 better as it has more snappy interface, lighter weight and great battery life.

0D68306C-2775-46B1-900A-8985D4652E15.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,566 of 4,314
thanks for this elegant solution. But... I wonder if a "wired" solution will not be even better than a BT solution ?

--> is it possible to connect the Streaming DAP (or another streaming device) to the Z1 by USB instead of BT ?

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #1,568 of 4,314
Not sure if the lossy LDAC codec is able to provide true high resolution playback but I guess that's the most practical method to get great sound quality.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,569 of 4,314
Not sure if the lossy LDAC codec is able to provide true high resolution playback but I guess that's the most practical method to get great sound quality.

LDAC is only able to do upto 24/96Khz. I guess a part of why the sound is much better is due to the other features of the DMP-Z1 and not the Bluetooth alone. Therefore, I do believe @bmichels in saying that a USB connection will be better.

However, due to the DMP-Z1 being Type C and the DAP, Smartphones I have are all Type C, I can not find a good type C OTG yet....I probably need to DIY. But streaming isn’t my priority, so I don’t really care enough just yet to warrant putting in Labor for that

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,570 of 4,314
arent there a lot of Type C to Type C cable these days?

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,571 of 4,314
arent there a lot of Type C to Type C cable these days?

unfortunately, Type C to Type C audiophile grade isn’t easy to find. A properly done Type C will have 12 wires to connect throughout. To make it this way, it isn’t easy.....unless doing an OTG to Normal Type C. I don’t even think there are Properly done Type C to Type C on the market yet.

This will likely be an expensive investigation which I am not going to get into as I don’t need to do so just yet

I do think MoonAudio can make this wire Directional OTG type C to digital Type C

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #1,572 of 4,314
unfortunately, Type C to Type C audiophile grade isn’t easy to find. A properly done Type C will have 12 wires to connect throughout. To make it this way, it isn’t easy.....unless doing an OTG to Normal Type C. I don’t even think there are Properly done Type C to Type C on the market yet.

This will likely be an expensive investigation which I am not going to get into as I don’t need to do so just yet

I do think MoonAudio can make this wire Directional OTG type C to digital Type C

To be honest, i do not really understand this OTG thing ?

why a good quality Type C - Type C will not work (At least to try if it better than BT connection ) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back