Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #1,591 of 4,312
How do u like your DMP Paul?

Still too soon to give a verdict. But it's definitely not going back!
I have pretty much stopped using the Hugo since the DMP-Z1.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #1,592 of 4,312
Still too soon to give a verdict. But it's definitely not going back!
I have pretty much stopped using the Hugo since the DMP-Z1.
DMP Z1 is better than DAVE IMO....leaving Hugo behind is expected :wink:. But I still would like to defense the DAVE. I think it is very possible and hard to bring the performances out of DAVE unless you spend more on XLR cables and the digital sources

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #1,593 of 4,312
I think Dave may have an edge on the DAC department. Never heard it though.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,594 of 4,312
I think Dave may have an edge on the DAC department. Never heard it though.

This is not a verdict on the DAVE, as I have yet to add enhancements to the DAVE (like XLR Vince mentioned above or the Chord Scaler) but in my first 300 hours with the Sony DMP-Z1, I prefer just how inviting/comfortable songs feel through my headphones. The DAVE can get brutal sometimes with too much sharpening of tones. (here, maybe due seasonal left ear tinnitus due to congestion) The smoothness of the female voice and the fullness of a Jazz ensemble party through a pair of Sony IER-Z1R is superior to what DAVE gives me. Still, I have only done A & B switching for a few albums, so nothing final. A comparison that is complete is that the Nagra HD DAC sounds better than the Sony DMP-Z1. Although not by much on the listenability, just the Swiss piece shows me more details and envelopes me more with clean sound.
IMG_6419.jpg

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,596 of 4,312
Mar 3, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,600 of 4,312
if you scroll up a few posts there’s a link telling you how to do that.

I read the post but don't understand it. It would be better if it had screenshots and actual set by step for DMP. I'm also a mac user and Windows is foreign to me. DMP is not cheap and I worry about "bricking" it by screwing up the FW.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,602 of 4,312
At no point did i think about a volume cap on the DMP-Z1. Any owner with the volume cap ?? What's your thought, if so ?
See

15:12 minutes into this video - NO Volume cap claimed by Hi Fi Insider

Mar 9, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,605 of 4,312
See

15:12 minutes into this video - NO Volume cap claimed by Hi Fi Insider

Correct because DMP-Z1 is not considered to be a portable music player.

Is anyone else able to confirm that the 1.02 firmware indeed removes the audio delay when used as a USB DAC with a computer?

No, it does not fix the latency issue but that's not a problem playing music, only noticeable on video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back