Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jan 20, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,531 of 4,313
The ability to take and run directly Power-supply from an external source is amazing! It improves the airiness, but mostly the “slam, weight, inner density even further” and that Bass rippling. These 2 were made for one another!

Discrete and Regulated Linear Power Supply for DMP-Z1, and with each and every components being “Audiophile graded”, such as the usage of hand matched FET, Wima Film Caps, Vishay resistors, Nippon Chemicon, Nichicon, Litz OCC, Silver Solder grade SS-47. Well, except “an audiophile Fuse”

033C5039-354D-4A26-80EE-D08626CA6C77.jpeg

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,532 of 4,313
The ability to take and run directly Power-supply from an external source is amazing! It improves the airiness, but mostly the “slam, weight, inner density even further” and that Bass rippling. These 2 were made for one another!

Discrete and Regulated Linear Power Supply for DMP-Z1, and with each and every components being “Audiophile graded”, such as the usage of hand matched FET, Wima Film Caps, Vishay resistors, Nippon Chemicon, Nichicon, Litz OCC, Silver Solder grade SS-47. Well, except “an audiophile Fuse”

is it a LUMIN power supply ?

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,534 of 4,313
I am confused . . . .

I understand how an upgraded power supply can improve the performance of an electrical component . . . .however

if the component is running on battery power, what is the benefit, if any of an upgraded power supply?

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,537 of 4,313
I am confused . . . .

I understand how an upgraded power supply can improve the performance of an electrical component . . . .however

if the component is running on battery power, what is the benefit, if any of an upgraded power supply?
DMP Z1 has the ability and option to run directly on external power supply without the battery being related. This was one of the main purpose of having to design the DMP-Z1 from Sony engineers, and it is also one of the hardest engineering feast to achieve. The ability to switch flawlessly between modes without interrupting anything else. The team almost gave up on it BTW....I am glad they did make it happened

The DMP-Z1 can run off directly from External power supply with a touch of a finger. It takes the DMP-Z1 a few seconds to switch but that is it.

You will have to go to setting and choose “AC mode preferred” (this can be done by unchecking the battery preferred mode) to make sure that the DMP-Z1 will run off from the External supply instead. Because there is “battery preferred mode” which means for any inferior supply, the DMP-Z1 is better running from it battery packs

The performances is upto another level once you run off from a quality powersupply
B0C9E301-4312-44C3-ACEC-B4B53134FE28.jpeg0152F5D3-AE74-455A-8CBE-BBB1042694C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,538 of 4,313
Jan 20, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,539 of 4,313
@Whitigir

This is the vibration absorption feets I use for my Yggdrasil DAC, master 9 preamp and Furman power conditioner. The hemisphere ones. In my experience, lowest end bass is improved with good antivibration(that is after you have clean power).

https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/sorbothanereg-mounts/11849/
Sorbothane!! Excellent!! That is what DMP-Z1 has on it feets.
Thank you! Will look to get it. Found it! On Amazon! @purk you should get it too
I am using silicone at the moment :). Before the feets though, everything that made the PSU is more important, and I made sure to have composed the best toward dynamic and slams with soundstage as much as possible from all of my experiences just to build this PSU....I also mounted it on a vibration dampening mechanism too :D, Main board, capacitors, transformer
FAAF720F-CBE4-4EF0-82C2-99992FA988F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,540 of 4,313
My review is with additional details about the choices of LRPSU that I opted for. The performances is elevated into another level with it and AC mode. You can check it out here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...r-signature-series.23308/reviews#review-23083

Remember, under this mode, the PSU will play a role at influencing your DMP Z1 performances. So, choose carefully.

Another thing that can also influence your DMP-Z1 sound performances is the internal Interconnects and the internal headphones cables

1/ Interconnects from DAC, Digital to Analog boards, which connects the analog out signals into your RK501 Potentiometer. This is 2 short cables

2/ similar to the #1 but is to connect from Potentiometer RK501 output into the Analog amplification boards. This is another 2 short cables

both the #1 and #2 are “analog interconnect cables”

3/ The female headphones sockets 4.4mm and 3.5mm into the Output of your Amplification board output toward your headphones.

If you are experienced with Desktop pieces, You probably already known that each of these interconnect will have the level of influences depending on the materials and construction.

Every bit of each influences can bring your DMP-Z1 into another beast like level. Please keep in mind that I am a tinkerer and I love to squeeze every bit of possible “the best of the designs” to my preferences. The DMP-Z1 is Marvelous at it core engineering and components implementation, and there are so much more to be had.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,542 of 4,313
Any photos?

I think there's only a few more mods and tweaks to consider but do note that it's going to cost more for little improvements.

Deoxit gold
Audiophile fuses
Audiophile power cords
Audiophile power conditioner
EMI/RFI shielding sheet (you can stick them inside the top and side of the internal chassis and paste them on top of semiconductor chips(those that don't run burning hot)

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/pcb-prototyping/emi-rfi-shielding-materials/shielding-sheets/

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,543 of 4,313
I already have solid silver powercord, even the AC socket is Furutech rhodium plated :D. The DC output socket is Furutech rhodium Plated too!

I have tried fuses, and conditioners, not a fan of either one

I know these sheets well. They help some, and could be negative in some other ways

Deoxit....don’t want to get there.

I will use the sorbothane for my transformer pads though. Thank you for your ideas :)

EDD35854-018A-4343-BE89-5A8DFF1B3F41.jpeg 8D5F9A36-C3CC-464D-B04E-5DDBF1A77296.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #1,544 of 4,313
I am too lazy to take detailed pictures. But just to report back, this sorbothane stuff is amazing !!!

what I am doing here is that I slot this sorbothane sheet under the round rubber of the Transformer inside. This is to dampen the vibration of Transformer !!!!!

The major thing that needs attention is the Rubber sheets which have to stay between the transformer and the Sorbothane sheet. The reason being is that Rubber can stand the Heat generated by transformer better than sorbothane.

The effects is so very real !!! Bass is more fluid and the inner resolution of it density is observable!!! The fluidity improved across the whole spectrums from low to high. The trebles gains more resolution on the inner resolutions Too!!

the ability to play accurate pitch and tonal body from DMP Z1 was excellent with battery mode, but in a Discrete PSU, it gets even better!!! Especially when done right.

The DMP-Z1 with the marvelous engineering deserves the best LPSU out there. I totally recommend the Sigma 11. There is only 1 catch as the Sigma 11 has no current limiter. So the DMP Z1 has to follow a ritual

Turning on:
1/ turn on the DMP Z1
2/ make sure the PSU is plugged in and hooked to the DMP Z1
3/ then turn on the PSU

Idling:

***the DMP Z1 has to be in operational mode. That means it has to play music otherwise it will switch to idling***. This will trigger both the PSU and the DMP Z1 to simultaneously switching on and off which can damage both!!!

turning off:

1/ I always make sure to Pause the DMP Z1 first
2/ then proceed to turn off the PSU
3/ wait until the DMP Z1 is done switching back to Battery mode
4/ wait until the Light on the PSU is completely off
5/ now you can unplug everything and bring it everywhere you want to

how to obtain a Sigma 11 PSU ? DIY is one way, the second way is to Contact Tikan or people at DIY forum for inquiries. Sometimes it is popped up for sale here and there. But it is best to post a “wanted” thread

the best way to get what you want is to DIY as you can tune and use different components to your liking

69D597EB-A386-4331-820A-267273B0BABD.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,545 of 4,313
The LPSU is real guys. The DMP does sound quite a bit more dynamics with the Sigma 11 power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back