Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
May 31, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #961 of 4,470
DSD remastering engine is simply put....an algorithms that utilize a processor IC and a programmed algorithm to process sigma-delta modulations instead of using DAC-IC. When you turned on DSD remastering engine, you are using Sony own algorithms and DSP processing chip. The AKM is there to conduct a pathway (multi channel 1 bit) into the low-high pass filtering to have analog out

Another way to put it is that you are using Sony Software and DSP professor chip to Convert digital to analog signals...instead of the AKM

The reason why TA uses FPGA is because S-Master can not by pass 1 bit DSD informations. Unless it is processed directly by itself and into 2 separated channels, hence Balanced out only. So Sony had to use FPGA for this purposes.

DMP also uses AKM for this purposes

thanks a lot for this explanation. Now I understand.

and so.... How does this affect Tidal/Qobuz streaming (streaming done by a phone connected via cable or LDAC to the DMP-Z1) ? is then Streaming as good as local redbook playback ?

BTW; could you tell us which headphone you use with the DMP-Z1 or which headphone you believe offer the best synergy with the DMP-Z1 ?

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #962 of 4,470
thanks a lot for this explanation. Now I understand.

and so.... How does this affect Tidal/Qobuz streaming (streaming done by a phone connected via cable or LDAC to the DMP-Z1) ? is then Streaming as good as local redbook playback ?
It depends on the files and the recording quality , but by using LDAC, you can have a much more stable and capable of higher quality than CD

May 31, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #963 of 4,470
TA uses FPGA for DSD purposes :) DMP uses AK4497Eq and you are right

Hmmm....I seem to remember that when the Z was released you went on and on about how disappointed you were that Sony cheaped out and was using an off the shelf chip.
Now it seems that this off the shelf chip appears to be outperforming Sony's proprietary FPGA???

It appears that you are now having a change of heart ? :)

May 31, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #964 of 4,470
Hmmm....I seem to remember that when the Z was released you went on and on about how disappointed you were that Sony cheaped out and was using an off the shelf chip.
Now it seems that this off the shelf chip appears to be outperforming Sony's proprietary FPGA???

Why did I made the purchase to DMP ? These are my own reasons. If you have some free times, I have shared it :)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-sony-dmp-z1-thread.886122/page-62#post-14977453
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-sony-dmp-z1-thread.886122/page-61#post-14972883

Also, FPGA in a sense is still too noisy for dedicated high-end music. Non of the FPGA manufacturers even care about noises suppressing or retaining the original information....Yet....it goes against the languages of designing the DMP

AKM answered both problems, to avoid using S-Master, while achieving high-quality performances. It isn’t easy for Sony to make this decision

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #965 of 4,470
Testing line out capability at 3.5mm. Yes, both 4.4mm and 3.5mm can be used like this with maxed out volume on DMP-Z1 (low gain and battery operated)
927A22B7-275D-415B-84D5-18684AEF3387.jpeg

May 31, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #966 of 4,470
Mm...the guy from Woo Audio said the Diana is gangbusters with the DMP Z1. I’m not sure if he was referring to the Diana or the new Diana Phi (memory gap). My headfi dealer here has a demo Diana but , unfortunately, it is on loan elsewhere. Trying to arrange an audition...

Dear raypin, I hope you still enjoy your DMP-Z1. Have you been able since to test the Diana with your DMP-Z1 ? And a Focal Stellia ?

I am indeed considering purchasing a Z1 and need to know which headphone to buy with .

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #969 of 4,470

Informations about the DMP is always scarce, just recently did they translate Designer's interview to English, it's easy to mistook one's design decision superficially and make own conjecture without hearing it.
Digging deep and trying then out themselves helps I bet

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #972 of 4,470
Whitigir, what does the DMP-Z1 do with all those files upconverted toDSD512?
File is not supported ...automatically goes to next track and after 3 attempts it jumps to next folder

How to walk around with DMP and Stock case ?

I gotta love the ability to switch between Battery and AC as power source on the fly without shutting down the player. It only took a second for the relay to click! Amazing

ED7FDA5B-3463-4C32-98C9-FDCF0D4A2F0B.jpeg 78BB459F-2D9B-4648-9C98-A123C98A6DEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #973 of 4,470
Whitigir, what headphone are you using with the DMP-Z1 ?

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #974 of 4,470
Whitigir, what headphone are you using with the DMP-Z1 ?
Stax SR009/009S and KG-T2 at home. On the go I use with HD800S, SR1, Aiva. I take SR1/Aiva out more than HD800S as they are cheaper and can be a daily beater while having pretty good performances

Here is a shot with it next to my Sendy Audio Aiva at work.

D9EFE7AC-D321-418F-9E89-764FFB9E6AFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #975 of 4,470
Stax SR009/009S and KG-T2 at home. On the go I use with HD800S, SR1, Aiva. I take SR1/Aiva out more than HD800S as they are cheaper and can be a daily beater while having pretty good performances

Here is a shot with it next to my Sendy Audio Aiva at work.

Thanks a lot for the détaillée answer.

So, you use the DMP also as your home source ! May be I could sell my Aurender w20 to fund the pourchasse of the DMP :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back