Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
May 30, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #931 of 4,470
Ok, so here are a few technical reasons why I decided to go DMP and it coincided with many of your concerns too

1/ LDAC ? It is Bluetooth connection and is lately opened and available with many android devices (8.1 and higher). You can use android smartphones and go to developer option, and opt for LDAC. It does 24/96 quality, and don’t be fooled in thinking that Bluetooth is a compressed format, and CD or FLAC isn’t...all digital in multibit and PCM are compressed , except SACD which is DSD64

**DSD remastering will be available for your LDAC streaming too!**
I can explain more if you need it

2/ small screen ? Well, big screen gives off a lot of noises and interferences. Especially touch screen, even if you have it lay against a metal chassis, it still inject noises into the control IC and poison the rest of the board. Ideally, no touch screen is the best, or the smaller the better

3/ input and output connections....well...this here, I can use 3.5mm our or 4.4mm out as line-out. I am not too worried about it. Yes, in trade off for no Spdif/Coax ....etc...we get something that is carriable in sizes while performances if of desktop tier. Why not even Spdif/Coax ? Because it would cause more parts for more complications which can also poison the sound, which is against the design language of DMP, to be powered as clean as possible.

Why Bluetooth instead of WiFi for streaming with those android apps ? Well, Firmware OS heavily influence the sound performances. Walkman OS is the best as it was made and developed for decades for music and by music alone. There can be no android, Linux or IOS to compete here. Beside, WiFi is horrible with interferences, and the apps itself (tidal or QoBuz) With it own algorithms are pretty bad....I tried QoBuz, and it makes me want to cry. However, the game changes up when you stream it into Bluetooth as Sony OS and the device itself with it own Bluetooth codec will do the DSP and nothing with the apps...in a senses...it can improve sound quality this way...not to mention the DSD remastering engine into DSD128 from Bluetooth

Those are my reasons for buying DMP. Beside that, I witness it at CNYC and it outperformed DAVE for me. So, it is a win and win situations :)

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #932 of 4,470
Ok, so here are a few technical reasons why I decided to go DMP and it coincided with many of your concerns too

1/ LDAC ? It is Bluetooth connection and is lately opened and available with many android devices (8.1 and higher). You can use android smartphones and go to developer option, and opt for LDAC. It does 24/96 quality, and don’t be fooled in thinking that Bluetooth is a compressed format, and CD or FLAC isn’t...all digital in multibit and PCM are compressed , except SACD which is DSD64

**DSD remastering will be available for your LDAC streaming too!**
I can explain more if you need it

2/ small screen ? Well, big screen gives off a lot of noises and interferences. Especially touch screen, even if you have it lay against a metal chassis, it still inject noises into the control IC and poison the rest of the board. Ideally, no touch screen is the best, or the smaller the better

3/ input and output connections....well...this here, I can use 3.5mm our or 4.4mm out as line-out. I am not too worried about it. Yes, in trade off for no Spdif/Coax ....etc...we get something that is carriable in sizes while performances if of desktop tier. Why not even Spdif/Coax ? Because it would cause more parts for more complications which can also poison the sound, which is against the design language of DMP, to be powered as clean as possible.

Why Bluetooth instead of WiFi for streaming with those android apps ? Well, Firmware OS heavily influence the sound performances. Walkman OS is the best as it was made and developed for decades for music and by music alone. There can be no android, Linux or IOS to compete here. Beside, WiFi is horrible with interferences, and the apps itself (tidal or QoBuz) With it own algorithms are pretty bad....I tried QoBuz, and it makes me want to cry. However, the game changes up when you stream it into Bluetooth as Sony OS and the device itself with it own Bluetooth codec will do the DSP and nothing with the apps...in a senses...it can improve sound quality this way...not to mention the DSD remastering engine into DSD128 from Bluetooth

Those are my reasons for buying DMP. Beside that, I witness it at CNYC and it outperformed DAVE for me. So, it is a win and win situations :)

Thanks for this clarification, and I am happy you enjoy so much your new toy.

- Based on your experience, what can you recommend as the best set-up to stream Tidal/Qobuz with the DMP (using an external streaming device like a phone, connected via LDAC ? )

- Also, if SONY kept this 3" screen due to noise pollution, then.... they really should have developed an Android App (like Aurender's conductor) that will use LDAC to connect to the DMP ?

PS : mentioning that, to your ear, the DMP sounded better than the DAVE is a BIG statement ! Very promissing....

May 30, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #933 of 4,470
Thanks for this clarification, and I am happy you enjoy so much your new toy.

- Based on your experience, what can you recommend as the best set-up to stream Tidal/Qobuz with the DMP (using an external streaming device like a phone, connected via LDAC ? )

- Also, if SONY kept this 3" screen due to noise pollution, then.... they really should have developed an Android App (like Aurender's conductor) that will use LDAC to connect to the DMP ?

PS : mentioning that, to your ear, the DMP sounded better than the DAVE is a BIG statement ! Very promissing....

Yes, LDAC is the best for smartphone to DMP for streaming for all apps, Netflix and YouTube ....Tidal...etc...

Sony has a Bluetooth remote, but I am not too crazy about it, at least not now.

You can see the DSD displayed on the DMP. That means it is live processing Bluetooth signals into DSD Remastering :), quiet addictive
A95011DF-93AD-4009-96D1-ACD72749C1F0.jpeg EA7F0A25-A3AF-416F-8F86-E3FEF4D52415.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #936 of 4,470
4.4mm into balanced amplifier for my large stereos

Simply stunning with volume maxed out in low gain , on battery

Repeat after me, don't get jealous of your pal shiny new toy!!

May 30, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #937 of 4,470
May 31, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #939 of 4,470
Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #940 of 4,470
4.4mm into balanced amplifier for my large stereos

Simply stunning with volume maxed out in low gain , on battery

congratulations @Whitigir . QQ on your Yamaha (out of topic, sorry about that guys) - Is it possible to use the pre outs to power a dedicated powered sub while using the speaker terminals for the L+R speaker pair?

May 31, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #941 of 4,470
LDAC is lossy compression. FLAC 24/96 is lossless compression. This is an important distinction.

According to Android authority
“Sony claims that LDAC can pass 16 bit, 44.1 kHz files without losing any quality (although note it says “same as” CD quality) over a 990 kbps Bluetooth connection, but there is definitely some loss with Hi-Res sized files.”

Qobuz is true non processed streaming of Lossless compressed files and with my Aries G2 to Dave, I hear no difference between a local FLAC file and Qobuz streamed version.

If you have an iPhone then there is no LDAC of course and a tethered usb connection is needed to get streaming to the Z1.

LDAC maybe the best Bluetooth connection but it is not true hi-res.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #942 of 4,470
LDAC is lossy compression. FLAC 24/96 is lossless compression. This is an important distinction.

According to Android authority
“Sony claims that LDAC can pass 16 bit, 44.1 kHz files without losing any quality (although note it says “same as” CD quality) over a 990 kbps Bluetooth connection, but there is definitely some loss with Hi-Res sized files.”

Qobuz is true non processed streaming of Lossless compressed files and with my Aries G2 to Dave, I hear no difference between a local FLAC file and Qobuz streamed version.

If you have an iPhone then there is no LDAC of course and a tethered usb connection is needed to get streaming to the Z1.

LDAC maybe the best Bluetooth connection but it is not true hi-res.

It doesn’t matter if people call it lossy or lossless. PCM are all compressed format, unless DSD. What matter is how it is being unfolded and processed....aka...algorithms and sampling, bit depth. LDAC with 24/96 is qualified to be high-res, or higher than CD compressed rate
congratulations @Whitigir . QQ on your Yamaha (out of topic, sorry about that guys) - Is it possible to use the pre outs to power a dedicated powered sub while using the speaker terminals for the L+R speaker pair?
Yes, it was designed for that.
Dude, you need some Accuphase in this pic, not Yamaha...
Trust me, when you see this Yamaha build internally, and listen to it. You will understand why I love this very and very much.

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #943 of 4,470
Is LDAC available to stream source material to the Z (and WM1Z)?
And what sources are available with LDAC - only Sony telephones?
No, most (tho not all) android that has Android Oreo (8 and up) has LDAC. You just need to enable it in the Bluetooth settings menu.
Sony opening the tech as such makes LDAC has way wider penetration than AptxHD.
It's just, most people doesn't know that their phone has it already! Hahah.

May 31, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #944 of 4,470
Quite a few people use iPhones (me included)
Unfortunately then game over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back