Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #4,291 of 4,314
Thank you for your answers, very useful. I can imagine that the N30LE together with the DMP-Z1 is an incredible synergy
No problem :)

Your source won’t have any effect on the sound. You could be using a N30LE or a phone and it will sound identical. All the sound processing and amplification is being done by the DMP-Z1. All your DAP is doing is providing the digital music data through the USB-C port.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #4,292 of 4,314
Yes. This is the only way I use my DMP-Z1. I essentially use it as a DAC/Amp, with either my DAP (Cayin N30LE) or my iPhone as a source. You can connect via the USB-C port at the back of the player. You don't need any special cables. I just use an Anker USB-C to USB-C charging cable.

I recently got the Lotoo Mjolnir and have been comparing it with DMP-Z1. Its remarkable how well DMP-Z1 has stood the test of time. It's still just as good as the latest and greatest.

Hello Damz87
Please give me your opinion on the sound quality between sony DMP-Z1 and Lotoo Mjolnir.
I'm trying to decide between the two products above.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #4,293 of 4,314
Hello Damz87
Please give me your opinion on the sound quality between sony DMP-Z1 and Lotoo Mjolnir.
I'm trying to decide between the two products above.
Thank you very much.
They are like chalk and cheese. Totally different sound and hardly even comparable. DMP is warmer, bassier, more musical and has heavier, more textured notes. Mjolnir is brighter, revealing, analytical sounding with faster transients and airy treble. Both have excellent technical performances but DMP has a much larger stage, whereas Mjolnir has better imaging precision and detail retrieval.

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #4,294 of 4,314
They are like chalk and cheese. Totally different sound and hardly even comparable. DMP is warmer, bassier, more musical and has heavier, more textured notes. Mjolnir is brighter, revealing, analytical sounding with faster transients and airy treble. Both have excellent technical performances but DMP has a much larger stage, whereas Mjolnir has better imaging precision and detail retrieval.
I would say that my preferences would definitely go on the DMP-Z1

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #4,295 of 4,314
I would say that my preferences would definitely go on the DMP-Z1
Yep I am sure there are many that would prefer DMP to Mjolnir, and vice versa. For me, it depends on my mood and what music I’m listening to. But honestly, I do find myself reaching for DMP more often than Mjolnir.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #4,296 of 4,314
It sounds like you'll need both.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #4,297 of 4,314
Hi, I apologise if my question can already be asked in the past on this thread :
Is it possible to connect a Dap (I have the Cayin N30LE and the A&K SP3000) to the DMP-Z1, to use it as a source for streaming with Qobuz, Apple Music etc. ?
If yes, what kind of cable or adaptor should I use? Obviously I don't care about using it via bluetooth.
If it is possible to do this, then volume control and more, is everything done through the DMP-Z1?
Bia USB C on the back. Just go to the library screen and there togle DAC mode

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #4,298 of 4,314
Apr 2, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #4,299 of 4,314
I wish Sony would resurrect this product.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #4,301 of 4,314
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #4,302 of 4,314
I’m planning to buy a dmp z1 for drive my R10,someone have heard the hiby rs8?how it sound against the z1?

Apr 7, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #4,305 of 4,314
My only request for a DMP-Z2 would be crossfeed. Without it many great 60s and 70s tracks are unlistenable on headphones.
Tou mean because of the hard-panning of L/R channels ?

I had something like this on a modern 2011 24-bit/96kHz album on yhe very last travk... vhorus hard-oanned to the R and kettle drums to the left, orchestra was pk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back