Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #4,276 of 4,314
When I’ve reached 1.000 hours on my Focal Clear MG ( Under 300 hours to go. ) i will try out my HD800S again. From memory, they’re not as good as my Focal’s, but I’ve only got the stock cable.
The stock cable is very limiting and restricted the overall performance. I actually hardwired my set and it sounds amazing now. I used to own the original Utopia but never the Clear.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #4,277 of 4,314
When I’ve reached 1.000 hours on my Focal Clear MG ( Under 300 hours to go. ) i will try out my HD800S again. From memory, they’re not as good as my Focal’s, but I’ve only got the stock cable.
The exact same impression the HD 800 is to my ears are not so good as my focal utopia 2020 with the upgrade cable, even though with a stock cable

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #4,278 of 4,314
I'm wondering if @withigir still has his DMP?

I felt that the HD800S lacked in bass, that was very notable with organ music as well orchestral. The utopia origin has the right amount of bass and actually reaches deep nofes well. I am suspecting that maybe the original utopia are as good as the Sony. Q010's

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #4,279 of 4,314
I'm wondering if @withigir still has his DMP?

I felt that the HD800S lacked in bass, that was very notable with organ music as well orchestral. The utopia origin has the right amount of bass and actually reaches deep nofes well. I am suspecting that maybe the original utopia are as good as the Sony. Q010's
He doesn’t have that anymore. I sold the Utopia because of its smallish staging despite being precise. The HD800S done right (mine is) has plenty of bass.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #4,280 of 4,314
He doesn’t have that anymore. I sold the Utopia because of its smallish staging despite being precise. The HD800S done right (mine is) has plenty of bass.
I have some curious cases where did utopia staging is bigger than the MDR-Z1R

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #4,281 of 4,314
The exact same impression the HD 800 is to my ears are not so good as my focal utopia 2020 with the upgrade cable, even though with a stock cable

From memory, i don’t dislike the sound of the HD800S but I’ve never heard detail & timbre, like the Focal’s. As I said, will be trying them again, when I’ve hit the 1.000 hours mark, with the Focal’s.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #4,282 of 4,314
They are all excellent headphones honestly. I just like my mods HD800 more due to how 3-D it is especially with hardwiring. I wonder from time to time what the new Utopia 2022 sounds like but I am not going to pay $5500 to find out. If I am going to spend that kind of money again, I will buy the Stax SR-X9000 to go along with my Stax DIY T2 amplifier.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #4,283 of 4,314
That being said, I will also treasure my DMP-Z1... I think it's a unique sunny product that will never be made again and I really like it. The only two occasions that it has seen the light of the outside world. Was a trip to hamburg on regional trains with 7 changes (connections). The second time when I wanted to demo the Utopia 2020 on the local hi-fi shop.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #4,284 of 4,314
IMG_9873.jpeg

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #4,285 of 4,314
Last night, i had the losing playback time again, going back to a previous start point. I paused the player at 1.515 hours, for it to automatically shutdown & more than the 19 minute period it takes had passed by & i looked & the clear volume was displaying, instead of shutting down & it was showing a previous start point of album & time of 1.511 hours ( Which i remember seeing, previously. ) It’s odd & a bit annoying, only in the sense that I’ve played more hours, that are suddenly lost. It hadn’t happened for awhile.

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #4,286 of 4,314
Hi, I apologise if my question can already be asked in the past on this thread :
Is it possible to connect a Dap (I have the Cayin N30LE and the A&K SP3000) to the DMP-Z1, to use it as a source for streaming with Qobuz, Apple Music etc. ?
If yes, what kind of cable or adaptor should I use? Obviously I don't care about using it via bluetooth.
If it is possible to do this, then volume control and more, is everything done through the DMP-Z1?

Mar 27, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #4,287 of 4,314
Hi, I apologise if my question can already be asked in the past on this thread :
Is it possible to connect a Dap (I have the Cayin N30LE and the A&K SP3000) to the DMP-Z1, to use it as a source for streaming with Qobuz, Apple Music etc. ?
If yes, what kind of cable or adaptor should I use? Obviously I don't care about using it via bluetooth.
If it is possible to do this, then volume control and more, is everything done through the DMP-Z1?
Yes. This is the only way I use my DMP-Z1. I essentially use it as a DAC/Amp, with either my DAP (Cayin N30LE) or my iPhone as a source. You can connect via the USB-C port at the back of the player. You don't need any special cables. I just use an Anker USB-C to USB-C charging cable.

I recently got the Lotoo Mjolnir and have been comparing it with DMP-Z1. Its remarkable how well DMP-Z1 has stood the test of time. It's still just as good as the latest and greatest.

IMG_8217.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 2:43 AM Post #4,288 of 4,314
Yes. This is the only way I use my DMP-Z1. I essentially use it as a DAC/Amp, with either my DAP (Cayin N30LE) or my iPhone as a source. You can connect via the USB-C port at the back of the player. You don't need any special cables. I just use an Anker USB-C to USB-C charging cable.

I recently got the Lotoo Mjolnir and have been comparing it with DMP-Z1. Its remarkable how well DMP-Z1 has stood the test of time. It's still just as good as the latest and greatest.

IMG_8217.jpeg
Thanks for your reply 👍
So connecting the DAP via usb-c , then everything is managed via the DMP-Z1 ?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #4,289 of 4,314
Thanks for your reply 👍
So connecting the DAP via usb-c , then everything is managed via the DMP-Z1 ?
Only the volume and any DSP you want to use will be controlled on the DMP-Z1. All the playback controls will still be on your source. Think of it like attaching a DAC/Amp to your DAP.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #4,290 of 4,314
Only the volume and any DSP you want to use will be controlled on the DMP-Z1. All the playback controls will still be on your source. Think of it like attaching a DAC/Amp to your DAP.
Thank you for your answers, very useful. I can imagine that the N30LE together with the DMP-Z1 is an incredible synergy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back