Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #4,186 of 4,319
It's perfectly ok to leave it plugged as the power is shunted to the AC power brick and not being operated by the battery. This is why Tomo and his team spent a considerable effort to design this power shunt mode, specifically just for users who like to leave it plugged in. I have left my DMP plugged in since I have purchased it in 2020 and have run it on battery for less than 20 times. A couple of times I have run it to near empty.

Oct 23, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #4,187 of 4,319
It's perfectly ok to leave it plugged as the power is shunted to the AC power brick and not being operated by the battery. This is why Tomo and his team spent a considerable effort to design this power shunt mode, specifically just for users who like to leave it plugged in. I have left my DMP plugged in since I have purchased it in 2020 and have run it on battery for less than 20 times. A couple of times I have run it to near empty.
Agree. In fact, the DMP help pages are still on and they do provide advice on the above. :)

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #4,188 of 4,319
Thanks guys, I didn't think of the help pages, sorry. I've only had it for 4 days, haven't really had as much time to listen or investigate as I'd like. That's great news though. I've read through most of the thread, I'll try not to ask too many newbie questions. I've had a NW-WM1Z for a while so have a pretty good understanding of the operating system. Thanks

Oct 24, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #4,189 of 4,319
Thanks, I do have one other question and I did read through the thread. I plan on using mine via AC for the most part. Understood regarding the DMP charges while plugged in even when in AC mode and understood it's best for battery life to use it in battery mode and let it drain down maybe once every couple of months. So question being what are most owners doing, is it ok to leave it plugged in all the time turning it on and off when I actually use it like most any other electronic audio device or is that bad for the battery or bad for the device in general. Considering I plan on using it AC most of the time it seems kind of a nuisance to have to unplug it all the time when not in use. Thanks for any advice!!
I use mine most of the time with AC and use battery once a month. I unplug mine when not using it, this includes every night when going to bed

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #4,190 of 4,319
I use mine most of the time with AC and use battery once a month. I unplug mine when not using it, this includes every night when going to bed
Not sure if that is necessary, ie. Unplug if it is on AC.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #4,191 of 4,319
I do have one Bluetooth related question after messsing around last night for way too long. Although that's half the fun. I paired my NW-WM1ZM2 to the DMP very quickly as I'd normally expect and it works great as the source. But for the life of me I can't get my NW-WM1Z to pair to the DMP. At one point I tried pairing the 1Z to the 1ZM2 no go and to my android phone for the heck of it no go. It's as if even though the 1Z goes into pairing mode and searches it's really not. It just keeps timing out. Any thoughts? I did search for 1Z Bluetooth issues and didn't find much, mostly related to some zones not allowing it. But I'm assuming that if I can see Bluetooth as an option to turn on and off and pair it should be available to use correct? Thanks!

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #4,192 of 4,319
I do have one Bluetooth related question after messsing around last night for way too long. Although that's half the fun. I paired my NW-WM1ZM2 to the DMP very quickly as I'd normally expect and it works great as the source. But for the life of me I can't get my NW-WM1Z to pair to the DMP. At one point I tried pairing the 1Z to the 1ZM2 no go and to my android phone for the heck of it no go. It's as if even though the 1Z goes into pairing mode and searches it's really not. It just keeps timing out. Any thoughts? I did search for 1Z Bluetooth issues and didn't find much, mostly related to some zones not allowing it. But I'm assuming that if I can see Bluetooth as an option to turn on and off and pair it should be available to use correct? Thanks!

Which one of them is the receiver?

For example if DMP-Z1 is the receiver, then first go into the BT Receiver mode on your DMP, and then start the pairing process from there.

There is a BT pairing process for when you want to transmit audio, and another when you want to receive audio.

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #4,193 of 4,319
Thanks, I did not know that as I never tried pairing the 1z before. When I was able to pair the M2 to the DMP it must have been dumb luck. I will try again tonight when I get home from work. I'm trying to use the DMP as the receiver from the 1Z same as with the M2. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #4,194 of 4,319
The DMP has 2 mosea of bluetooth. One is to transmit audio ftom DM to other devices (Tx) for example when uainf my WF-1000XM5 earbuds. The other mode is for receiving audio from other BT devices into DMP (Rx) for examle when i want to stream from my iPhon and i want the DMP to act as a wireless DAC.

On noth Tx and Rx you need to pair as each is a separate mode

Nov 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #4,197 of 4,319
Of course I have to try it with Youtube right away.

There is now NO LAG when using USB DAC.

With BT, I can notice a SUPER TINY bit of lag still.

Sorry for resurrecting this old post from 2019. Here raymogi says that the delay in playing video is gone with firmware 1.02.

But then a 2020 post from HiFiGuy528 (post #1605) says that : "No, it does not fix the latency issue but that's not a problem playing music, only noticeable on video."

Is there a consensus on this? Is the delay for video still there or gone?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #4,198 of 4,319
Sorry for resurrecting this old post from 2019. Here raymogi says that the delay in playing video is gone with firmware 1.02.

But then a 2020 post from HiFiGuy528 (post #1605) says that : "No, it does not fix the latency issue but that's not a problem playing music, only noticeable on video."

Is there a consensus on this? Is the delay for video still there or gone?

Thanks.
It’s still there for me. I find I get better latency using BT than USB DAC mode.

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #4,199 of 4,319
I’m awaiting delivery of some new headphones next week. The Focal Clear MG’s, the balanced cable is XLR balanced connection. Is there an adapter that you can buy, in order to use with the DMP-Z1 balanced connection, rather than buy another custom cable ?

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #4,200 of 4,319
I’m awaiting delivery of some new headphones next week. The Focal Clear MG’s, the balanced cable is XLR balanced connection. Is there an adapter that you can buy, in order to use with the DMP-Z1 balanced connection, rather than buy another custom cable ?
I have a custom-made adapter that came with my MDT-Z1R, but I find the cable of the utopia to be clunky and cumbersome... so I ordered a pair of double helix cables triple threat headphone adapter in order to use my Sony Z1R terminated lavri grand cable. For those adapters, I have been waiting like 14 weeks and still not yet chipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back