Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #3,857 of 4,319
Thanks... but I thought that the Z1 was discontinued ?!
Japan’s site wrote that it is officially discontinued. That threw me for a loop. Wow

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3,858 of 4,319
I'm thinking of selling mine, a few months old, bought from Sony Germany, under warranty ofc. I did not list it yet. DM me for details

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #3,859 of 4,319
Japan’s site wrote that it is officially discontinued. That threw me for a loop. Wow
Yeah, been OOS in UK since October I think. Mine was the last unit sold I believe.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #3,860 of 4,319
Can we expect a new version of the Z1 ?

Otherwise the next big guy for TOL "transportable" could be the Lotoo Mjolnir with Titanium body ? (Lotoo does OEM for Nagra)

Lotoo.png

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #3,861 of 4,319
Hahah! No… :wink:

I have Dmp-z1 and Mdr-z1r. I would like to improve my audio experience to a higher level by upgrading my headphone. I know every headphone has its own peculiarities which may correspond to the tastes of some people and knowing that we are all different.

Do you think it’s wise to go for a susvara or lcd5 to replace my mdr-z1r?

Mar 8, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #3,862 of 4,319
Do you think it’s wise to go for a susvara or lcd5 to replace my mdr-z1r?
check the meze elite forum. many owning the susvara prefer the elites. you might put that into your consideration as well.

Mar 14, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #3,863 of 4,319
I love my Z1, but would love to stream music to it losslessly like I can do on portable DAPs. I've loaded my SD card with all my local content, but miss apps like Qobuz that allow me to discover new artists easily.

Has anyone connected an android-based streamer to their Z1? I'd love to be able to stream over the USB-C port. Bonus points if the streamer can be powered by the USB-C port at the same or has a dedicated port so I don't have to worry about charging it.

I've used LDAC for streaming from my phone in the past, but that is not lossless and I feel I'm not getting the most out of the Z1. Curious what others have done.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3,864 of 4,319
I love my Z1, but would love to stream music to it losslessly like I can do on portable DAPs. I've loaded my SD card with all my local content, but miss apps like Qobuz that allow me to discover new artists easily.

Has anyone connected an android-based streamer to their Z1? I'd love to be able to stream over the USB-C port. Bonus points if the streamer can be powered by the USB-C port at the same or has a dedicated port so I don't have to worry about charging it.

I've used LDAC for streaming from my phone in the past, but that is not lossless and I feel I'm not getting the most out of the Z1. Curious what others have done.
Personally, I use a laptop under windows wired with the usb cable supplied with the dmp-z1. I never try to use an android-based streamer.

On the laptop I have installed Audirvana studio with which I can stream Qobuz.

I find the result very convincing. The sound quality is very good.

Maybe it is possible to do better sound quality with a usb isolator, a better usb cable than the one provided or with Roon?

I'm open to any good advice.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #3,865 of 4,319
Personally, I use a laptop under windows wired with the usb cable supplied with the dmp-z1. I never try to use an android-based streamer.

On the laptop I have installed Audirvana studio with which I can stream Qobuz.

I find the result very convincing. The sound quality is very good.

Maybe it is possible to do better sound quality with a usb isolator, a better usb cable than the one provided or with Roon?

I'm open to any good advice.
Use roon! You will get the benefit of great streamer. I have a Taiko Extreme streamer and it works magic - just use the iPad as a remote (connect usb) and you are good to go. I asked the engineers at Taiko about connecting the DMP-z1 directly and they said no need.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #3,866 of 4,319
The DMP-Z1 is next to my bed with no laptop in sight. I used to have it connected to my Roon Nucleus, but that's in another location now.

Last night, I connected the iBasso DX320 via USB-C port and it worked nicely. Of course, the DX320 is overkill for this job as it is a very fine DAP on its own. But maybe one of the smaller models could be a fit. It sure is nice to be able to select something directly from Qobuz and hear it in its native quality on the DMP-Z1.

I still need to figure out a way to keep the device charged though. The DMP-Z1 doesn't seem to supply power. A mini USB-C hub could do the trick, but many of them are much larger than what I need.

The quest continues...

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #3,867 of 4,319
In the end, I went with the rather obvious solution. I got an Anker USB-C hub with a power port. That way, I can connect my phone (also Android based) and feed the DMP-Z1 with Qobuz et. al. while charging it at the same time. Pretty straightforward!

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #3,868 of 4,319
4,000 hours in almost 4 years, still enjoy it very much even though get lesser than with it as life is back to normal and more travelling. Roughly one-third of time have been running in battery mode, the battery is still in best performance, 7+ hours (from full -> 20%) with a mixture of red book flac, hi-res flac and DSD.

Attachments

• 7A67AF33-1D5A-4362-9688-E417AE2EF715.jpeg
    7A67AF33-1D5A-4362-9688-E417AE2EF715.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #3,869 of 4,319
4,000 hours in almost 4 years, still enjoy it very much even though get lesser than with it as life is back to normal and more travelling. Roughly one-third of time have been running in battery mode, the battery is still in best performance, 7+ hours (from full -> 20%) with a mixture of red book flac, hi-res flac and DSD.
one-third of time have been running in battery mode it means you use a lpsu ? Which lpsu you use ?

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #3,870 of 4,319
I just using the stock psu, have think about sourcing a lpsu, but give up as prefer to make it more transportable, don’t want to make the DMP-Z1 become a desktop gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back