Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
May 10, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,392 of 4,318
Maybe! But there is the reason why Sony puts Kimber Kable in their Audio Equipment :)
Actually they are just marketed as Kimber Cable. They are made by Sony.

But to this point, no scientific method was able to show any difference in cables nor was any person ever able to detect the difference in an blind A/B Test.

If you ask an Sony Employee (in an Sony Store in Japan) or an e-earphone employee what's better with the Kimber Cable, they will tell you the design, durability, reduced cross talk, whatever.

But they will never ever tell you it sounds different.

And the stock cable is an silver plated OFC cable already. That's as good as it gets.

So the reason Sony sells cables Co-Designed by Kimber is because the name Kimber is an well established and trusted brand in the audiophile world plus they are extremely durable + their cool design.

And maybe some 1db reduced cross talk at around -130db.

But to this date, there is no source that is good enough anyway. So even if there would be an difference, neither the DMP-Z1 nor the TA-ZH1ES would be good enough to utilize it

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,393 of 4,318
Actually they are just marketed as Kimber Cable. They are made by Sony.
That is true. This has been confirmed with Kimber Kable during my today’s conversation with them.
But to this point, no scientific method was able to show any difference in cables nor was any person ever able to detect the difference in an blind A/B Test.
Not true. I owned Sony Kimber (8-wires) and Kimber Axios Cu (24awg 16-wires). I was able to detect distinguishable difference in sound properties between those two cables. Hearing is your science.
If you ask an Sony Employee (in an Sony Store in Japan) or an e-earphone employee what's better with the Kimber Cable, they will tell you the design, durability, reduced cross talk, whatever.

But they will never ever tell you it sounds different.

And the stock cable is an silver plated OFC cable already. That's as good as it gets.
Not true. You should try copper-silver (50/50)
So the reason Sony sells cables Co-Designed by Kimber is because the name Kimber is an well established and trusted brand in the audiophile world plus they are extremely durable + their cool design.
Not true. Sony Walkman engineer personally flew from Japan to meet with Ray Kimber, the founder of Kimber Kable back when WM1Z was being developed. The engineer loved the sonic properties of Kimber and used it for the first time in the Walkman line. The real Kimber Kable is now used in DMP and the new 1ZM2. If in doubt, you can ring Kimber Kable company +1-801-621-5530.

As to Sony headphone cables, the only Kimber in them is the type of braiding that eliminates microphonics (licensed by Kimber), the wires are Sony’s.
And maybe some 1db reduced cross talk at around -130db.
Pure speculation
But to this date, there is no source that is good enough anyway. So even if there would be an difference, neither the DMP-Z1 nor the TA-ZH1ES would be good enough to utilize it
This does not make sense!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #3,394 of 4,318
I see kimber kable like McDonald restaurant... the important is that people eat ane more revenue as opposed that the people say McD tastes good.
So kimber let Audiophiles buy cables despite they may not sound thaat good

May 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,395 of 4,318
May 30, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #3,397 of 4,318
Some early morning listening with the Meze Empy and Eletech Inferno cables. AM streaming via LDAC. Direct source, DSD remastering. Sonic bliss. :)

FE622F5A-C2A3-4BC0-A800-17E2EEE762EA.jpeg

May 31, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #3,398 of 4,318
Some early morning listening with the Meze Empy and Eletech Inferno cables. AM streaming via LDAC. Direct source, DSD remastering. Sonic bliss. :)

I trust that you are at the top of the sonic bliss :)

Question: Of all your headphones, is this your favourite pairing with the DMP?

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #3,399 of 4,318
I trust that you are at the top of the sonic bliss :)

Question: Of all your headphones, is this your favourite pairing with the DMP?
I am actually slowly working my way through my headphones and the DMP. Currently, of the ones I have tried, I do like this combo very much. Longer listening may provide a different outcome. :)

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #3,400 of 4,318

MDR-Z1R with Lavricables Grand. Direct wit DSD remastering
image.jpg

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #3,401 of 4,318
I am actually slowly working my way through my headphones and the DMP. Currently, of the ones I have tried, I do like this combo very much. Longer listening may provide a different outcome. :)
Always a good time rediscovering old headphones on upgraded sources.

What's your take on the WM1ZM2 vs DMP-Z1 so far? Are the sound signatures similar?

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #3,402 of 4,318
Always a good time rediscovering old headphones on upgraded sources.

What's your take on the WM1ZM2 vs DMP-Z1 so far? Are the sound signatures similar?
Absolutely! The Utopia sounded really good on the DMP. Will rotate it back again soon.

The sound signatures are similar. Though not surprisingly, the DMP still takes it. Better width and headroom and greater note weight. :)

Jun 3, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #3,403 of 4,318
Absolutely! The Utopia sounded really good on the DMP. Will rotate it back again soon.

The sound signatures are similar. Though not surprisingly, the DMP still takes it. Better width and headroom and greater note weight. :)
so one can hear what the sony signature teams claims: wm1zm2 was influenced by the dmp-z1 signature.

i still have the wm1z but wanted to buy a japanese wm1zm2 version, soon.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #3,404 of 4,318
Jun 3, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #3,405 of 4,318
Some Saturday morning easy listening with the Utopia. :)

BC58DA9A-34EC-43C2-BAD0-37F50344973A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back