Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Oct 2, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,626 of 4,317
Did you buy the DMP from them? 🤣

Oh boy, I really need to visit BBR sometime soon!

I’m gonna go have a try with the Stellia as well.

Nice to see another person from Toronto here tho 😂
I bought the DMP from stephensonselectronics.com anything Sony you will get a deal no one else can match ask for James DM me if you want more info on how much I paid for the DMP and MDR-Z1R.

BBR has completely redesigned the entire store looks fabulous but I never buy my home hifi audio or pretty much anything from them they rarely discount, I only went there cause of their huge headphone selection and bought the Rai Penta as I spent 2 hours demoing lol.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,627 of 4,317
I bought the DMP from stephensonselectronics.com anything Sony you will get a deal no one else can match ask for James DM me if you want more info on how much I paid for the DMP and MDR-Z1R.

BBR has completely redesigned the entire store looks fabulous but I never buy my home hifi audio or pretty much anything from them they rarely discount, I only went there cause of their huge headphone selection and bought the Rai Penta as I spent 2 hours demoing lol.
I’ll definitely DM you later after work!

BBR was my go to for demoing stuff 😂
But I have yet to buy stuff from my them. My dad however has bought way more there than I have 🤣

The only thing I’ve bought from them was my DP-X1 I believe lol other than that, I don’t think I really bought anything outside of demoing their huge catalog.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,628 of 4,317
As I said, I don’t necessarily see a need for actual Hi Res files, FLAC, e.t.c. because the DSD Remastering is so good. Obviously, I don’t know what other owners do, but personally it’s a surprise to me, an unexpected one. I could fit nearly another 13.000 songs on with the space……unfortunately, I won’t live another 40 years to do that !
So ar you saying MP3 or AAC files work well with the DSD Remaster Engine ? May i ask which bitrates? Assume >= 256kbps

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,629 of 4,317
As I said, I don’t necessarily see a need for actual Hi Res files, FLAC, e.t.c. because the DSD Remastering is so good. Obviously, I don’t know what other owners do, but personally it’s a surprise to me, an unexpected one. I could fit nearly another 13.000 songs on with the space……unfortunately, I won’t live another 40 years to do that !
I've always had it in my head that it is better to feed it with a high quality file (at least flac) than to have a process upscale it? I figure that it is artificially creating something that was trimmed when it was down scaled from the original source. Maybe it is not a comparable example but I consider a 4K file to be better than an upscaled HD file, albeit that to the human eye or ear the difference in general may be minimal?
My mind can be uptight about small details but it is open to change if anyone can explain the remastering.

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #2,630 of 4,317
I've always had it in my head that it is better to feed it with a high quality file (at least flac) than to have a process upscale it? I figure that it is artificially creating something that was trimmed when it was down scaled from the original source. Maybe it is not a comparable example but I consider a 4K file to be better than an upscaled HD file, albeit that to the human eye or ear the difference in general may be minimal?
My mind can be uptight about small details but it is open to change if anyone can explain the remastering.
I don't have the DMP-Z1 (yet!), but I can comment on this (and the question from @gerelmx1986 too).

I have the WM1Z, with MrWalkman's custom FW. I use the AI digital remastering function on it (I forget the exact name of it!).
I was reluctant to try it at first, being something of a non-EQ'ing purist by nature.
But although most of my music library is in hi-res or at least lossless format, I happen to have some tracks on MP3 that I just can't find anywhere to buy and download; mainly 10-15 year old Chinese pop/singer-songwriter songs, from 128kbps to 256.
I do notice a significant difference in sound quality with the digital remastering function; so much so that I now have it switched on all the time, and I believe it also affects the 16-bit FLAC files too, although of course not to the extent to which it does with MP3 files.

I mean songs with downright poor sound quality and burbling audio are transformed into good sounding audio.
I rarely listen to such songs on any of my DAPs except for my Sony WM1Z (and upgraded ZX300 on the go).

So yes, I'd encourage you to give it a try. YMMV and all the usual disclaimers; let your own ears be the judge of whether it works for you :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,631 of 4,317
So ar you saying MP3 or AAC files work well with the DSD Remaster Engine ? May i ask which bitrates? Assume >= 256kbps

I use JRiver or Sony media go to rip, I believe JRiver is ACC & I think Sony states MP4 ?? Well it shows that on JRiver, that’s my default media player. I actually upsample to DSD 128 for my Walkman’s, using JRiver, which I’ve always liked, obviously could upsample to FLAC, but I do hear a difference to my ears, anyway.

I did initially put my upsampled SD cards into the DMP-Z1 & it didn’t sound right to me. It was only when I ripped a CD, as above & switched on DSD Remastering, that I heard something unique & something I continue to be impressed by, each day.

All I can say as above & my previous posts, is that the DSD Remastering is like nothing I’ve ever heard before & I don’t feel as it is artificial in any way whatsoever. In fact it’s the complete opposite. It brings all the music & vocals to life.

Oct 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,632 of 4,317
I don't have the DMP-Z1 (yet!), but I can comment on this (and the question from @gerelmx1986 too).

I have the WM1Z, with MrWalkman's custom FW. I use the AI digital remastering function on it (I forget the exact name of it!).
I was reluctant to try it at first, being something of a non-EQ'ing purist by nature.
But although most of my music library is in hi-res or at least lossless format, I happen to have some tracks on MP3 that I just can't find anywhere to buy and download; mainly 10-15 year old Chinese pop/singer-songwriter songs, from 128kbps to 256.
I do notice a significant difference in sound quality with the digital remastering function; so much so that I now have it switched on all the time, and I believe it also affects the 16-bit FLAC files too, although of course not to the extent to which it does with MP3 files.

I mean songs with downright poor sound quality and burbling audio are transformed into good sounding audio.
I rarely listen to such songs on any of my DAPs except for my Sony WM1Z (and upgraded ZX300 on the go).

So yes, I'd encourage you to give it a try. YMMV and all the usual disclaimers; let your own ears be the judge of whether it works for you :)
Thanks for your input. Part of my uptightness is battery preservation (per charge) so I use direct source.
I have mostly flac with quite a few hi-res but have some old obscure stuff that I only have in mp3 - I'll remember to switch it on my 1A. I have the TA-ZH1ES but from following the thread had just set it up with the general recommended settings with the remastering on and got on enjoying the music instead of comparing the settings.
I understand the benefits to lower quality files but I still feel I would opt to go for the at least flac rather than mp3 using upscaling, even for the sake of gaining storage.
All I can say as above & my previous posts, is that the DSD Remastering is like nothing I’ve ever heard before & I don’t feel as it is artificial in any way whatsoever. In fact it’s the complete opposite. It brings all the music & vocals to life.
A good example of where you just go with your ears and not get caught up over thinking - mental note.
As my gear gets better my appreciation for music expands and broadens and my 512gb SD card is rapidly filling but I don't have anywhere near your song count so I haven't had to consider a lower spec files - bring on the 2TB microSD

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,633 of 4,317
I use JRiver or Sony media go to rip, I believe JRiver is ACC & I think Sony states MP4 ?? Well it shows that on JRiver, that’s my default media player. I actually upsample to DSD 128 for my Walkman’s, using JRiver, which I’ve always liked, obviously could upsample to FLAC, but I do hear a difference to my ears, anyway.

I did initially put my upsampled SD cards into the DMP-Z1 & it didn’t sound right to me. It was only when I ripped a CD, as above & switched on DSD Remastering, that I heard something unique & something I continue to be impressed by, each day.

Yes AAC is same as MP4, and is b tter than MP3. The MP4 us juat a containwr hence AAC is MP4 audio and akao there are mp4 videos.

Yes when i tried the DMP in berlin i tried it with all off. Then tried DSEE HX which is upsample to PCM 32/384.
The magic really appeared like you say, until i switched DSD-RE. I played a downsampled DSD a(to FLAC 24/88.2) and sounded as clise as the original DSD that woed me. With CD flac as well HI-RES flac was so damn good. I have no mp3/aac files on my library

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #2,634 of 4,317
Achievement unlocked 😆
DMP.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #2,636 of 4,317
Yes AAC is same as MP4, and is b tter than MP3. The MP4 us juat a containwr hence AAC is MP4 audio and akao there are mp4 videos.

Yes when i tried the DMP in berlin i tried it with all off. Then tried DSEE HX which is upsample to PCM 32/384.
The magic really appeared like you say, until i switched DSD-RE. I played a downsampled DSD a(to FLAC 24/88.2) and sounded as clise as the original DSD that woed me. With CD flac as well HI-RES flac was so damn good. I have no mp3/aac files on my library

For me: Direct all the way! 😊Tested "remastering" and DSEE, Direct mode is just cleaner to my ears. Almost 3/4th of the way to 1k - amazing how it is getting more and more airy and refined in the upper register.

Attachments

• 20211010_134759.jpg
    20211010_134759.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,637 of 4,317
For me: Direct all the way! 😊Tested "remastering" and DSEE, Direct mode is just cleaner to my ears. Almost 3/4th of the way to 1k - amazing how it is getting more and more airy and refined in the upper register.

Can I just clarify something please ? As I’ve posted previously, I have DSD RE on, but it also says, Direct Source on. It seems you can have both set on ??

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,638 of 4,317
Can I just clarify something please ? As I’ve posted previously, I have DSD RE on, but it also says, Direct Source on. It seems you can have both set on ??
DsD-REnrefd dirext source to ve ON as a prerre zisite

Oct 10, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #2,640 of 4,317
Correct. You can have both set on. Remastering is an independent feature and does not require Direct to be On or Off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back