Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #196 of 4,319
They can also use 48-steps attenuator to reduce the cost, but the overall footprint will be longer than the RK50. The RK50 is the best there is for continuous volume control and the only model that can match the performance of those stepped attenuators. I actually prefer a well built 48-steps attenuator because you can always get an exact volume level. Not sure if you guys are familiar with the quad RK40? Those should work nearly as good as the RK50 but at significant saving. Sadly the RK40 has been long discontinued.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #197 of 4,319
They can also use 48-steps attenuator to reduce the cost, but the overall footprint will be longer than the RK50. The RK50 is the best there is for continuous volume control and the only model that can match the performance of those stepped attenuators. I actually prefer a well built 48-steps attenuator because you can always get an exact volume level. Not sure if you guys are familiar with the quad RK40? Those should work nearly as good as the RK50 but at significant saving. Sadly the RK40 has been long discontinued.
They want the most expensive components, except TPA...and I dont know why...I know they say because it sounds good

Aug 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #198 of 4,319
Also, some more details that I think I get correctly from Sony.

The DSP (Digital Signals Processor) inside WM1A/Z and Ta-ZH1ES, even DMP-Z1 are all the same from Sony in-house grown technology. This DSP chip is capable of DSD remastering with Sony in-house customized software. It is capable upto DSD256. However, it is not suitable for S-Master. Therefore, FPGA has to be used inside TA-ZH1ES for this feature, and Walkmans will not have this feature “enabled”. Where as DMP-Z1 will have it enabled by using the “pure By-Pass mode of DSD playback by AKM4497EQ”.

Sony deemed that this is the best of “Native DSD playback in sound performances, also the tonality of AKM chips” are the reason why Sony has decided to go with AKM4497EQ

Sony is back into the game to produce high performances audio equipments and focusing into transportable and portable, and we have already been blessed with the portable WM line of Walkman which will see foreseeable considerable upgrades by Firmwares. For example, the firmware has been under the table cooking for more than a year to perfect the USB DAC features and now is coming to WM lines. The DSP inside WM is meant for a long lasting future with firmware upgrades and additional features. However, at this moment, the momentum, the investigations, the engineering are always limited, which resulted in the limits of the current S-Master limitations, which after many trials and errors, was deemed to be outperformed for the purposes intended on the DMP-Z1 by the AKM4497EQ. This doesn’t meant that Sony is abandoning the signature unique S-Master, but the team is working very hard to keep improving and soon will be releasing for the next foreseeable products lines. This doesn’t mean that the S-Master inside the existed productions lines are lower performances than AK4497EQ or other Sigma-Delta architecture, just simply S-Master was not suitable for DMP-Z1 intended designs and purposes. For the best of S-Master, there is dedicated Desktop TA-ZH1ES, and then there is portable WM1Z.

Again, let’s repeat. The DSP inside the current productions line are all firmware upgradeable for foreseeable features, and improved performances.

I hope this post was valuable, and help people to see the picture more clearly as of why Sony is doing what it does

Regarding TPA headphones amp chips. Sony had been implementing it with other products and found it to be best performer and suitable for DMP-Z1 purposes. Especially with discrete supportive components. Therefore, the decisions to went with this design. The purpose of the DMP-Z1 is to have good sound performances and not playing by the book :D

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #199 of 4,319
All hail the Texas Instrument for creating the best all-in-one headphone amplifier module ever according to Sony!! I'm going to tell Justin Wilson of Headamp to start using the TPA6120 chip in his GSX-MKII amplfier...and abandon those through-hole Vishay dale resistors and expensive exotic transistors as well as those quad mono power supply crap. Such a discovery by Sony! :ksc75smile:

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #200 of 4,319
All hail the Texas Instrument for creating the best all-in-one headphone amplifier module ever according to Sony!! I'm going to tell Justin Wilson of Headamp to start using the TPA6120 chip in his GSX-MKII amplfier...and abandon those through-hole Vishay dale resistors and expensive exotic transistors as well as those quad mono power supply crap. Such a discovery by Sony! :ksc75smile:
He better start using thin film Resistors, F-Resistors, and those superbly new high power, low Esr, organic Capacitors by Sony for supportive components :D

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #202 of 4,319
Thanks for sharing this!! An interesting interview indeed.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #204 of 4,319
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #207 of 4,319
interesting video :

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #209 of 4,319
Shame we don't see all the circuit boards; this looks like the 'analogue' board, including some I/O, plus the 'power' board. Presumably, there're separate 'digital' and 'display' boards as well, that we haven't been shown.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #210 of 4,319
Shame we don't see all the circuit boards; this looks like the 'analogue' board, including some I/O, plus the 'power' board. Presumably, there're separate 'digital' and 'display' boards as well, that we haven't been shown.

Because they use a H shaped chassis, all the digital components sits on the top compartment along with a single battery which powers all the digital components (SoC, DAC, LCD touch screen etc) which is naturally why the touch screen interface sits at the top of the device, and the bottom compartment is the analogue and power conditioning board with the 4 giant batteries making up the entire analogue stage, thus achieving complete digital and analogue board separation in the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back