Apr 1, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #1,621 of 4,319
Edited

Attachments

• 0C45C9A1-5155-4B82-8D28-D7375B0D234B.jpeg
    0C45C9A1-5155-4B82-8D28-D7375B0D234B.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #1,622 of 4,319
Finally! version 1.01 which I love and adore With the Exception that this is “the Galaxy” with it

what is so special about this ? Well...the bass! It is actually with more subbass textures and more bloom, a little less in soundstage than 1.02 but this one has a more musical feelings in comparison. Soundstage has always been good on DMP-Z1, but to me, this bass of 1.01 is ways more desirable
0C45C9A1-5155-4B82-8D28-D7375B0D234B.jpeg

So you have been able to down-grade from 1.02 to 1.01 !?

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #1,625 of 4,319
I'd ask that question to any owner ? I so wish i could hear one, but i still can't see how you can jusify that outlay ?? I sort of can afford one, but that justification is the stumbling block for me, unfortunately.
I know what you are saying, however I've been active here long enough to know who to trust and who not to trust. I know which reviewer have taste similar to mine.
That is why whitigir words carry value for me.

Apr 1, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,626 of 4,319
I know what you are saying, however I've been active here long enough to know who to trust and who not to trust. I know which reviewer have taste similar to mine.

I know....i was genuinely asking if others feel the same way too ?....because i want to someone to convince me to make that financial outlay...

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #1,627 of 4,319

Because DMP-Z1 has the same Sony proprietary IC chip (FPGA) as Walkman WM1A/Z and on top of the additional AK4499EQ Dual. This is why I was able To tune the Walkman WM1A/Z in references of DMP-Z1. I also have achieved the Golden Milestones of DMP-Z1, and that is DMP-Z1 Galaxy Firmware.

Sony FPGA chip can act as either a DSP interface, also a programmable sigma delta and or both. It is a multibit professor , and in order for 1 bit pure DSD to pass through, it needs an additional Chip that can handle 1 bit info, and on TA-ZH1ES, the choices was to choose an additional FPGA to be programmed as 1bit. On DMP-Z1, the choices was to go with AK4499EQ.

While The Walkman also has this same FPGA but can not use “DSD Remasterting” feature because the S-Master can not handle 1 bit. It is Direct Multibit only and that is why only Native DSD is able to play over balanced. On the TA-ZH1ES, the additional FPGA is handling this 1bit stream and directly feed S-Master with it. Then on the DMP Z1, and as a different line up of devices, it uses Class A/B IC TPA as amplifications and no S-Master was used.

There are many reasons but the DMP Z1 was built this way because it satisfies many goals: compact and transportable form, powerful output, DSD Native handling....etc

The DMP Z1 has the Privilege to utilize the Different Sigma Delta Techniques on the same modulators Velvet Engine by AKM, the AK4497EQ and 6 additional Digital filters

Why AK4497EQ ? Because it can do 128Db Dynamic range. Anything higher than 120Db dynamic range is already beyond Human hearings. The question here would be “Could Sony squeeze everything out of it?”

By the way, Song only call this Proprietary IC chip as Sony Proprietary DSP IC. I see it being similar to an FPGA that can be programmed to handle many tasks, so I always related to it as an FPGA.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,628 of 4,319
So, in Digital Sound performances, not only the DAC IC is important, and in the case of DMP Z1, it is the AK4497EQ. What else is important ? The Interfaces.

I discovered how important it is because I was building a desktop system, and an interface can totally ruin and destroy everything. It is like a shipping couriers. Imagine that you are having a Puzzle shipped to you in multiple boxes. Then the couriers lose several of them out of hundreds in total. Do you think you can have a perfect final puzzle piece ?

The answer is “Impossible”

So, how does information and bit get lost by an interface ? And what is an Digital interface ?

Well, there are a few of General chips being used, and most noticeably are (Xmos and FPGA). You will see Xillint or Altera or other FPGA and then you have Xmos. The downside is that all of these were meant to be used in other digital interfaces, such as Autobot and chain manufacturing...etc. Neither one was built dedicatedly toward Audio processing....and they are noisy. Noises can change the values of an electrical signals. Also if using any FPGA, the program has to be calibrated precisely ...unfortunately, it doesn’t matter what Amanero had done...I was never am impressed by it. This was the main reason why I switched to I2S interfaces on my PC, which loses the ability to output DSD native for my usages, but in the end I could get better performances out of the interfaces

So, what is an digital interfaces ? Because all binary information are just Binary codes. So in order for Digital Analog Conversion to happen, Sony, Phillips and others companies had long ago created the I2S interfaces. It is the standard in Digital audio industry and widely is used nowadays. In order for the Digital info to be received and comprehensible, it has to be I2S signals feeding the DAC chips. This is where Digital interfaces come in. Some DAC can take I2S input and some can not. Therefore USB interfaces and other that are not I2S directly are an additional conversions that pose a risk with many negativities

Why is DMP Z1 so special ?

This Sony Proprietary IC chip as I said, it has been built and designed by Sony, a chip that is dedicated toward Audio performances, to stay as precise and accurate as possible and to minimize noises as much as possible. It is also so very powerful. Because it can act as Sigma Delta Modulators together with Being a DSP Interfaces or can act as DSP Interfaces alone. The ability to act as Sigma Delta Modulators are demonstrated by the features of “DSD Remastering” on TA ZH1ES and DMP Z1

So, If AK4497EQ demands an order of 128 boxes for the puzzles and the couriers never lost any boxes, what do you think happen to the final Puzzle piece ?

Why not AK4499EQ ? Because AK4499EQ first and foremost will not satisfy the long play time on battery juices for the design, and as mentioned technicality as above regarding dynamic range and human hearing

Now, what about other DAC and devices that are using AK4499EQ ? Nothing is wrong with that, to be using newest technologies is going to be the selling point as always. The questions is

What Digital Interfaces are being used ? Sony is the only one to be using their proprietary chip.

Because the demands for DSP Interfaces have been surged on, both AKM and ESS are making their own which are not widely used yet. There are also Black chip from Analog devices being used on Lottoo Gold Touch. But how many of them that can also act as what Sony Proprietary chip does as stated above and still remain dedicatedly toward Audio performances ?

So the same question again “Are you sure that all of these devices to be able to bring out everything from AK4499EQ?”

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #1,629 of 4,319
With the DMP Z1 and the way the whole firmware OS, the Walkman OS and it interfaces are hands in hands together. A more aggressive tuning toward a more aggressive processing steps can squeeze out even more out of it.

DMP Z1 can benefit from modified firmwares too! In wake of that, The Galaxy is born ! Unlike Walkman, there is no categorized Tiers because DMP Z1 is a Titan of a symbol from Sony at the moment. You can read all about it build quality as Sony engineers are not shy away from their design and implementation languages

With the Galaxy firmware Cranked up, the DMP Z1 can clearly take advantages of AKM4497EQ digital filters features better and being more obvious in alternating Sound characteristics between each filters. Also when using DSD remastering and Direct Mode, the performances and the tuning of the firmwares take to another level of performances. All together, if once you thought you were impressed with DMP Z1 and stock firmware, you gotta witness what DMP Z1 can do when cranked up similar to “Pc overclock”

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,630 of 4,319
The usages of PML or Poly Multy Layered Capacitors are everywhere in the music signal chains, and together with the applications of Fine sound resistors everywhere. This Fine sound resistors are also Sony Proprietary.

Please keep in mind that PML capacitors can only be found in so very little quantities on any other devices. The reason is that Sony has always had the power of influences to order and fabricate their own designed components in alliances with other manufacturers. Why is PML so special ? Because unlike Ceramic and Tantalum capacitors, it generates virtually 0 piezoelectric effects which induces errors into the Electrical values and alternate the sound performances. Ofcourse there are still Ceramic Caps being used, but it is dwelling at places where Power handling is needed. Or to put it, Sony Engineers implemented you the best of their extends to preserve the Sound signal integrity for Digital Music reproduction purposes on the DMP Z1

The more you look into the DMP Z1, the more you will be Amazed by what had gone into it.

You may think that I am amazed by it hardware before the Sound quality but that is wrong. I was originally so much against it because of pricing Because of that I was so not much into dissecting how wonderful of an engineering Marvel that the DMP Z1 is. Until I could listen to it in CanJam.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,632 of 4,319
Can someone confirm that there is no "pre out" on the DMP-Z1, please ? I enjoy using my TA-ZH1ES via speaker listening & wanted to know if it were possible with the DMP-Z1 ?? Thanks.

There is no “Line Out” on the DMP Z1. It is possible to make it to do so, but it would be “Invasive”. However, using 4.4mm as Pre-Out is still satisfying

Apr 1, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,634 of 4,319
So it is purely for headphone use only ?
Yes, that it is. The outputs are only

4.4mm balances phones out
3.5mm single ended phones out
Digital out ? I have not tested

Inputs are only
Digital in
and Power in

With Balanced output, each channel can have 1500mW per channels, that is enough to drive most of any headphones out there

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,635 of 4,319
To squeeze every possible performances out of this System. Excellent time to be spending time with it !! Staying inside and can carry it all around the house with uncompromises sound quality while keeping out noises from both sides

Cables is DIY Neotech newest flagship wires materials 24awg, occ Goldplated and Cryogenically treated, 4.4 pentaconn and Te-Cu Eidolic MMCX with Oyaide audiograge Silver solder

Internally using similar wires for DMP Z1. Galaxy 1.01
C1F375D1-AFA4-4B24-B3F3-0F74BFBC6294.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back