Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #3,481 of 3,690
A quick check on Ebay shows the WE 396A JW2C51 tube going for $141.96 and $165. I fold.
If it's any consolation, the consensus seems to be that there is little audible difference between the JW and normal series 396A.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #3,483 of 3,690
I'm going to be content with my GE JAN 5670W for the time being. I do appreciate all of the knowledge being shared. Not only in this thread but others too. I'm new to headphones and I've learned a lot by being part of this community.
Learned to keep your wallet in a secure, undisclosed location. Also... we're permitted to use the word 'content' once per month year around here.

Enjoy your system. While you still can! 🤣

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #3,484 of 3,690
Learned to keep your wallet in a secure, undisclosed location. Also... we're permitted to use the word 'content' once per month year around here.

Enjoy your system. While you still can! 🤣
Can we also add the word "end game" to only be used once a year to the list as well? Now that I think about it, the word "end game" is an illusion that doesn't exist in this hobby.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #3,486 of 3,690
The only way to end the game, is to use Ray Conniff & Orchestra as your evaluation ‘material’ …. 🤢
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.]

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #3,488 of 3,690
You guys think the Vali 2++ is worth the upgrade from a Xduoo mt-602?
Yes! I purchased the Vali 2++ a couple of weeks ago after using the Xduoo MT-602 for about a year. Silly ol' me, I just thought two tubes had to be better that one tube, but man was I wrong. the Vali 2++ will definitely give a more tube sound than the Xduoo MT-602 which appeals to me. I used a pair of Sylvania JAN 5640's in the Xduoo which sounded nice but not as warm and lush as the Vali 2++ with the stock tube.

I don't know what it is or how it works, but I've read that the Vali 2++ incorporates negative feedback which helps the hybrid present more of a tube flavor to the sound. I'm sure others in this forum can explain how and why this works.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #3,489 of 3,690
Yes! I purchased the Vali 2++ a couple of weeks ago after using the Xduoo MT-602 for about a year. Silly ol' me, I just thought two tubes had to be better that one tube, but man was I wrong. the Vali 2++ will definitely give a more tube sound than the Xduoo MT-602 which appeals to me. I used a pair of Sylvania JAN 5640's in the Xduoo which sounded nice but not as warm and lush as the Vali 2++ with the stock tube.

I don't know what it is or how it works, but I've read that the Vali 2++ incorporates negative feedback which helps the hybrid present more of a tube flavor to the sound. I'm sure others in this forum can explain how and why this works.
That’s what I needed to hear, thanks! Now I have to wait till one pops up used for sale.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #3,490 of 3,690

Yup. Low gain uses a negative feedback. Higher gain uses less of that feedback and because of that, it allows a higher output with more distortion (more of the tube sound).

I personally noticed a slight difference using high gain compared to low gain. The music seemed more full and seemed to have more punch. It also seemed more forward sounding as well. All of this could be placebo, but that's what I think I hear. Because of this, I use high gain when using my Vali 2++. I use Grado's and like the sound with the high gain compared to the low gain.

I am using a 6SN7 GTB with the Vali 2++. I really like the tube. There is an audible hum when nothing is playing, but I've learned to just deal with it as it's not audible when something is playing.

I'm assuming that the problem is the Grado's impedance/sensitivity when using high gain, or it could be the tube. I tend to lean towards the tube because I didn't get any noise floor on high gain with the stock tube with the same headphones. I might try an 80 ohm impedance adapter to use with the Grado's since I like using high gain with them just to see if that gets rid of that little noise floor that is present.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #3,494 of 3,690
Yes. I've read a lot of good things about the Hemp. I'm thinking of upgrading down the road so I'm just gathering ideas. Enjoy.

I own the Grado SR 325's and the Hemp. The Hemp sits closer to your ears and has an improved driver which adds to the bottom. Also, it's not as harsh as the 325. I'm very pleased with the way it sounds with the Vali 2++ although I haven't tried it on the high gain setting. I think I'll give it a try as DropTekRoon has suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back