Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Nov 29, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #3,316 of 3,690
To the best of my knowledge, Schiit pops. One of things I've been trained not to do is put my headphones on before I turn the Vali on. Annoying, sure. But a fact of living with a V2

BTW, your cats will only be burned by the tube once. once:wink:
johnny-dangerously-once.gif

Hahahaha I agree with you on the being burned once part. I'm more concerned with them lashing out in surprise and knocking the amp off the table and breaking the tube.

Thanks for the heads up with the popping thing.

Time to look at doing some tube rolling.

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #3,317 of 3,690
I also have Asgard 3 hooked as a preamp to Airpulse powered speakers most of the time and there are no pops when switching it off/on, although I rarely do that since it's on 24/7. Recently I bought Vali 2++ for the office setup, but before that I tried it at home as a preamp and I also noticed the pop. My solution was to change input source on the speakers, but surely I would be annoyed if I had to do that all the time.

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,318 of 3,690
Nov 30, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #3,319 of 3,690
I also have Asgard 3 hooked as a preamp to Airpulse powered speakers most of the time and there are no pops when switching it off/on, although I rarely do that since it's on 24/7. Recently I bought Vali 2++ for the office setup, but before that I tried it at home as a preamp and I also noticed the pop. My solution was to change input source on the speakers, but surely I would be annoyed if I had to do that all the time.

Hey! I also switched over from the Asgard 3 to the Vali 2++ and I can't remember if there is any popping noise with the Asgard 3 as it was left on all the time.

What I do now is I'll unplug the RCA cable (from Vali to my speakers) before switching the Vali on or off.

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #3,320 of 3,690
pick1598.JPG

Purchased this Vali 2+ secondhand from a fellow head-fier. It just arrived today. :)

If you're wondering why it's glowing so bright...it's not! I just overexposed the shot, taken in a very dimly lit room—just for the hell of it.

I need to buy tubes, pronto! The stock Sylvania 6BZ7 sounds way too neutral...bright and strident even. With the Sundara, it's not even close to how warm, lush, textured, authoritative, grand, and layered my Crown XLS 1502 sounds—and it's a class D SS amp! I know the Sundara likes power, but even at the same volume level, the XLS sounds way more soulful than the Vali 2+ with stock tube does.

Guess I'll order some 6N1Ps to play with. @hodgjy strongly recommended the Voskhod Rocket, so maybe I'll start with that. Maybe a Sovtek also.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #3,321 of 3,690
I'm really enjoying my Vali 2++. The new old stock JAN G.E. 5670W is really sounding good. I have a five star ( red ) GE 5670 on the way to try out, used but tests strong. For $25 it's worth a try. I'm used to spending more on tubes so this is a nice change. I have a friend that has offered to send me one of his 1958 Western Electric 396A tubes to try out to see what I think about it. This is an affordable fun little amp.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #3,324 of 3,690
Loving my Vali 2++. The last post nails it. The Modi multibit is a great fit for the Vali 2++. I bought a JAN GE 5670W and it's setting in nicely.
100% agree on the combo. I was running a Magni + with the MM and detected some glare around 4-6 kHz. With the Vali 2++, the glare was gone, not to mention a more “organic” presentation.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #3,325 of 3,690
100% agree on the combo. I was running a Magni + with the MM and detected some glare around 4-6 kHz. With the Vali 2++, the glare was gone, not to mention a more “organic” presentation.
I bought a GE 5670 five star for $20 that tests strong and I like it much more than the JAN GE 5670W . The JAN GE 5670W is still better than the tube that came with the amp though.
Hard to beat the Modi Multibit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,326 of 3,690
I bought a GE 5670 five star for $20 that tests strong and I like it much more than the JAN GE 5670W . The JAN GE 5670W is still better than the tube that came with the amp though.
Hard to beat the Modi Multibit!
The Vali 2++/MM is my end game headphone setup for my budget.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #3,327 of 3,690
I love the Vali 2 ++. Really is a tremendous value and with tube rolling your options are almost unlimited. Enjoy!!!

Leo

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #3,328 of 3,690
I haven't turned on my Asgard 3 since I bought the Vali 2 ++. I bought my Asgard 3 when it was still $200 and its great amp but I think the Vali has a better soundstage. More open sounding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back