Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,911 of 3,702
I have the stock tube on my Vali 2 (original, not Plus). Has anyone tried any tube dampers (like Herbie's UltraSonic Rx Damping InstrumentRx-9) and did it make any difference? Or can anyone provide any silicon ring suggestions or any other solutions (if needed for the stock tube)?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #2,912 of 3,702
Guys I have somewhat of a desire to have a Vali 2+ as a preamp between my Modius and Jotunheim 2. I don't NEED the Vali 2+, obviously, but I figured it'd be cool introducing a tube in the chain.

Is this a good idea for flavoring? And if so, what tube that isn't expensive gains a tubey sound to contrast from the solid stateyness of the Jot 2?

My Jot 2 has two free RCA inputs (one via addin rca board), so it'd be something I use every once in awhile.

It would look something like:

Modius RCA out to Vali 2+ to Jot 2 RCA in for tubey duty.

Also, Modius balanced out to Jot 2 balanced in for SS duties.

If all sounds good, what would line level be? Low gain, max pot?

I did have an og Vali, and it's still my fave sounding amp despite its shortcomings.

Mind you guys, I've used headphone amps as pre-amps to other headphones amps for years due to them being the only way to use virtual surround (so stuff like the Astro Mixamp or Senn GSX1000) into another headphone amp. Mainly because the formers were very weak amps. I'm well aware that I'd be adding all the distortion and bad traits of the Vali into the Jot 2. I'm just saying if it's worth it for the tubey nature.

I'd still have the Modius straight to Jot 2 via balanced interconnects for clean listening, so to speak.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,913 of 3,702
I have the stock tube on my Vali 2 (original, not Plus). Has anyone tried any tube dampers (like Herbie's UltraSonic Rx Damping InstrumentRx-9) and did it make any difference? Or can anyone provide any silicon ring suggestions or any other solutions (if needed for the stock tube)?
Herbie's are the best I have used. Some tubes are helped more than others. I consider them mandatory & don't use without them.

I have tried Ensemble Tube Sox (woven kevlar with copper wire), 3M material (I believe these were made by Audio Research) which permanently bonds to the tube from the heat - don't like that, earlier versions of Herbie's, then the best - Herbie's Rx-9's. Some dampers accomplish the damping with mass, weight - these can sound over-damped (diminished dynamics).

Herbie's are my go-to.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,914 of 3,702
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #2,915 of 3,702
I ordered a Modi and it arrived yesterday. Sounds great. So I ordered a Vali 2+ today. I've been listening to Big Bands, searching out CD's that come from old masters. I think the Vali will be nice for that. I like a CD played in original LP song order, from an LP that was issued while the artist was still alive. With a fire in the fireplace and a glass of red wine.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #2,916 of 3,702
Trying out a Liquid Spark and a Magni 3+, and hands down I prefer the more rounded and pleasant sound of the LS. The Magni 3+ makes upper-ends hurt my ears for some reason, it's a lot more pleasant to me to listen to LS.

I want to try a Vali 2+, do you figure it is closer sounding to LS, or to the clean & sharp Magni 3+?

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,917 of 3,702
Trying out a Liquid Spark and a Magni 3+, and hands down I prefer the more rounded and pleasant sound of the LS. The Magni 3+ makes upper-ends hurt my ears for some reason, it's a lot more pleasant to me to listen to LS.

I want to try a Vali 2+, do you figure it is closer sounding to LS, or to the clean & sharp Magni 3+?
I am also very interested in knowing this between Vali 2+ and LS or Magni 3.

Do you feel the Liquid Spark loses its resolution compared to Magni 3?

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,918 of 3,702

Do you feel the Liquid Spark loses its resolution compared to Magni 3?
I don't feel that at all, I don't notice any degradation to speak about, nothing stands out to me except that my ears can relax when listening on LS. But I don't have experience with any gear outside that, or any musical knowledge etc. The upper ends are rounded off and not jab-sharp, and the low bass is noticeably cleaner, more natural, and slightly more powerful on the LS.

In another thread someone said the Vali 2 is still very analytical etc, so I personally decided to not bother with Vali 2+, and just resell the Magni 3+ and stick with the LS.

I just couldn't find an instance where the Magni 3 sounded better than the LS. Be it in gaming or music listening, as I was swapping both in and out. Yet each time the LS sounded noticeably smoother and nicer!

Other gear: Modi 3+ DAC and Hifiman 400i 2020 headphones. I was so impressed with the LS amp that I decided to order the LS DAC as well and see if it produces any difference vs the Modi 3+. It arrives tomorrow.

note: it could (and probably does) all come down to the headphones. Some are driven better by certain amps/dacs than others.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,920 of 3,702
I don't feel that at all, I don't notice any degradation to speak about, nothing stands out to me except that my ears can relax when listening on LS. But I don't have experience with any gear outside that, or any musical knowledge etc. The upper ends are rounded off and not jab-sharp, and the low bass is noticeably cleaner, more natural, and slightly more powerful on the LS.

In another thread someone said the Vali 2 is still very analytical etc, so I personally decided to not bother with Vali 2+, and just resell the Magni 3+ and stick with the LS.

I just couldn't find an instance where the Magni 3 sounded better than the LS. Be it in gaming or music listening, as I was swapping both in and out. Yet each time the LS sounded noticeably smoother and nicer!

Other gear: Modi 3+ DAC and Hifiman 400i 2020 headphones. I was so impressed with the LS amp that I decided to order the LS DAC as well and see if it produces any difference vs the Modi 3+. It arrives tomorrow.

note: it could (and probably does) all come down to the headphones. Some are driven better by certain amps/dacs than others.
Thanks for the impression! I believe it comes down to the headphones aswell.

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #2,921 of 3,702

Not the LS, but the CTH in my case I found to be slightly nicer to listen to with headphones, once the tube is upgraded. I just uploaded a review with more detail:

May 4, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,922 of 3,702
I have the original Vali2 as well, wondering if it's worth it to upgrade......

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #2,923 of 3,702
Trying my vali 2 as a tube pre from my Mani to my vintage Yamaha integrated and I'm really enjoying the results. Definitely adds some depth. And I love this rca black plate 6sn7 😁
PXL_20210430_042320736.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210430_042335962.jpg
    PXL_20210430_042335962.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,924 of 3,702
Yes the Vali 2 passes out a preamp signal to the amp/speakers. The tube does play a role in the sound. However, the pre-out is not the best preamp. It gets the job done but is not for critical listening.
I actually prefer it this way - because I am looking to pipe it to my active speakers. It this were a pre-amp, then it would not work with my active speakers. I hope I understand this correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back