Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #2,596 of 3,690
Going to-and-from with speakers and headphones is a different experiences extirely, musically, speakers is hard to beat! If you have the right room and environment, speakers will always sound 'better'! As for headphones, source/amp is crucial to getting the most out of your headphones! Synergy is still key here too! Vali 2 is a great little 150 dollar tube hybrid amp but ymmv with your gear that you are using. The K701 maybe do better with a solid state amp and the Meze 99 can be happy at home running off a phone/dap, it probably wouldn't do much other than to drive it with the Vali 2!

The debate between onboard audio compared to external DAC has been done to death, but Vali 2 is just an 'amp', it will only amplify the signal. How good/decent is that signal is up to the user to decide! A Schiit Modi is 99 dollars, can't hurt to experiment??

All the best!

Volly!!!! Been a while. Great to see you here again! How are things?

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,597 of 3,690
Sell it and listen from the jack. Simple, eh?

That's one approach, to be sure. I've listened to my Aeons through the laptop's headphone jack, and if that was the pinnacle of headphone listening, I'd be involving myself in some other hobby. :slight_smile:

However, if @GhostLoveScore decides to go that route, PM me. Been looking for a used Vali 2, and they are hard to find.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #2,598 of 3,690
Volly!!!! Been a while. Great to see you here again! How are things?
Been good mate, haven't been too active on Headfi much lately but I'm still around!

How's the tube stash inventory? Is it out of control yet? :D

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,599 of 3,690
Been good mate, haven't been too active on Headfi much lately but I'm still around!

How's the tube stash inventory? Is it out of control yet? :D

Good to hear you're good!

As far as tube stashes, define 'out of control'. :laughing:

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,600 of 3,690
That's one approach, to be sure. I've listened to my Aeons through the laptop's headphone jack, and if that was the pinnacle of headphone listening, I'd be involving myself in some other hobby. :slight_smile:

However, if @GhostLoveScore decides to go that route, PM me. Been looking for a used Vali 2, and they are hard to find.

Right now I won't sell it. It's useful as a volume knob.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #2,601 of 3,690
Right now I won't sell it. It's useful as a volume knob.

Bad for me, but good for you. What are you using for the music software? Are you streaming Tidal or other, or playing CD's, etc?

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #2,607 of 3,690
Do 6922 tubes fit the Vali 2 socket or do you need an adapter?

No adapter needed for a 6922. From the Vali FAQ on Schiit's webpage: But there are a lot of other options out there, including 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 2492, and even more. Pretty much any tube with a 6DJ8 pinout, 6V heater, and 600mA or less of heater current will work fine in Vali 2.

With adapters, there are even more options. Look at the Vali 2 tube rolling thread for more suggestions.

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,610 of 3,690

Users who are viewing this thread

Back