Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #1,786 of 3,690
Awesome. HD650 or HD6xx it is! I like it when there is a consensus. Now I just have to figure out what tube to get to replace the one that ships with the Vali 2.

Do not rush... Get the amp and the cans, live with the set up for a while, "learn" it's sound and see what you may or may not like and then start thinking about tube rolling.
The stock tube is very nice too with the 6X0.
At least that's my point of view!
OK I am also reading and thinking what will be my next tube but one step at a time..

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,787 of 3,690
How is the pre-amp out performance of the Vali 2? How much do the tube choices color the sound at the speaker?

I saw a review of the Vali 2 on youtube and the review pretty much trashed the pre-amp performance. I don't put a lot of weight into random youtube reviews. But, I plan on listening to my speakers quite a bit so I want the best sound I can get.

Thanks!

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #1,789 of 3,690
While I appreciate the response, DomieMic65, it doesn't really tell me anything one way or the other. What can I expect? How much will the tube choice affect the what is passed on to the speaker amps?

I actually like the output being a pre-out since I want to use it to control the volume of my monitor speakers as well as the headphones (yes, I know that plugging in the headphones disables the pre-out). 

Also, I don't know about the electronics of the Vali 2, but I would think the same pre-out signal that is passed to the headphone amp is passed out the RCA pre-outs. Shouldn't that signal be as good as the one the headphone amp gets?

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #1,790 of 3,690
  While I appreciate the response, DomieMic65, it doesn't really tell me anything one way or the other. What can I expect? How much will the tube choice affect the what is passed on to the speaker amps?

I actually like the output being a pre-out since I want to use it to control the volume of my monitor speakers as well as the headphones (yes, I know that plugging in the headphones disables the pre-out). 

Also, I don't know about the electronics of the Vali 2, but I would think the same pre-out signal that is passed to the headphone amp is passed out the RCA pre-outs. Shouldn't that signal be as good as the one the headphone amp gets?

Yes the Vali 2 passes out a preamp signal to the amp/speakers.  The tube does play a role in the sound.  However, the pre-out is not the best preamp.  It gets the job done but is not for critical listening.  

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,791 of 3,690

Yes the Vali 2 passes out a preamp signal to the amp/speakers.  The tube does play a role in the sound.  However, the pre-out is not the best preamp.  It gets the job done but is not for critical listening.  

Thanks! Is it better than what I would get using the 2016 MacBook Pro headphone port feeding my speakers directly? I was hoping to get the benefit of the Mimby while having volume control using the Vali 2.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,792 of 3,690

Thanks! Is it better than what I would get using the 2016 MacBook Pro headphone port feeding my speakers directly? I was hoping to get the benefit of the Mimby while having volume control using the Vali 2.

In theory it would be much better...
And much more convenient so go for it...

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,793 of 3,690
I just received, unpacked, setup, and for a while listened to music using my Vali 2 and Modi Multibit.

OH MY GOD!!!

I needn't have worried about the quality of signal coming from the pre-outs. I don't have my headphones (HD650) yet so I am listening to my music through my Swan MK200MKIII monitors. The speakers are new too and have may 20 hours on them. Heck, I didn't even wait for the Vali 2 to warmup. 

Forgive my lack of familiarity with the terminology. Compared to using the headphone port on my 2016 MacBook Pro to drive the speakers, the first thing I noticed was the increase in the height, depth, and width of the soundstage. I went from being at the back of the room to being in the front row or maybe even being on stage.  The separation of the individual instruments and voices was much more pronounced. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard it that clearly before. Then the clarity of the sounds jumped out at me. The timbre of the drums and cymbals jumped out right away. Wow! Just wow!!! I am not afraid to admit that the sound brought a tear to my eyes. It was that moving!

I don't know how much of this is the Mimby, but all I can say is that I love this combination! I can't wait to get my Sennheiser HD650 headphones to hear how they sound. I even have some pretty cool tubes on the way to try out after I get used to everything.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,794 of 3,690
The Mimby is a damn fine DAC, and the Vali 2 is a damn fine headphone amp.  Glad they're working out for you, winders.  I recently went from using a Vali 2 to a Lyr 2, and have definitely found the Lyr 2 to work much better as a preamp.  However, the Vali 2 is much more remarkable *for the money* as a headphone amp.  In my experience, the preamp functionality of the Vali 2 isn't too bad at all, and I found it to be somewhat sensitive to tube changes (my girlfriend was able to tell as well on a quick tube comparison one day when she was home on her lunch break).

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,795 of 3,690
I got a curious his morning and stole one of the Russian 6N1P- EV Vokshod Rockets from My Valhalla 2. It has Dethroned the  EH 6922 in my Vali 2. Sparkly Highs, The Mids are a little more recessed  but smooth and has a more controlled Low end,  Not boomy but tighter than the EH6922. The Big plus is Sound stage is Bigger.  These tubes probably have a few hundred hours on them so they a very well burnt in. I just ordered a Few more pair , I am to cheap to find the High dollar tubes and at this point these seem to be easy to get sound great and are on the cheaper end . On Flea bay a Matched pair will run you about 25 to 30$ shipped from Eastern europe. Make sure They list the test results.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #1,796 of 3,690
I ended up caving and buying a Vali 2 recently and it finally arrived at my doorstep this evening. I've had it set up for about an hour now and music going for about 20 minutes and I'm in love. I immediately rolled in an Electro Harmonix 6922 tube I had lying around from an old Bravo V3 and this combo is fantastic with the Schiit Modi Multibit and my HD 650s. Obviously, I'm firmly entrenched in the "honeymoon phase" with the Vali 2 but I don't think my enthusiasm will soon fade, if at all. Between this and the Modi Multibit, I've been very pleased with Schiit as of late. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,797 of 3,690
  I ended up caving and buying a Vali 2 recently and it finally arrived at my doorstep this evening. I've had it set up for about an hour now and music going for about 20 minutes and I'm in love. I immediately rolled in an Electro Harmonix 6922 tube I had lying around from an old Bravo V3 and this combo is fantastic with the Schiit Modi Multibit and my HD 650s. Obviously, I'm firmly entrenched in the "honeymoon phase" with the Vali 2 but I don't think my enthusiasm will soon fade, if at all. Between this and the Modi Multibit, I've been very pleased with Schiit as of late. 

I have the same setup. Well, I will have the same setup when my HD 650's show up on Friday. I am using the Vali 2 as a pre-amp for my powered monitors. I am still using the 6BZ7 tube from Canada that came with it. Even with that tube the music sounds fantastic. I have 8 different tubes coming to play with to see what sound I like best. Great product. Great sound!

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,798 of 3,690
Yep, I've got a Gold Lion 6922 tube on the way to compare to the stock and Electro Harmonix tubes. I hear the Vali 2 doesn't change as much as some other tube amps with tube rolling but it's an inexpensive experiment and should be fun, nonetheless. I'm really liking what I'm hearing from the Electro Harmonix tube I've got in there now, though. It's very smooth and detailed while retaining the kind of richness and warmth tubes are known for. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,799 of 3,690
Should I be using the high gain or low gain with my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones? Does using high gain negatively effect the quality of the signal?

When using low gain, I am almost maxed on the volume control for some tracks and can easily handle full volume. With high gain, I am closer to halfway for most tracks and can handle about about 80%. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #1,800 of 3,690
  Should I be using the high gain or low gain with my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones? Does using high gain negatively effect the quality of the signal?

When using low gain, I am almost maxed on the volume control for some tracks and can easily handle full volume. With high gain, I am closer to halfway for most tracks and handed about about 80%. 

Use the setting that sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back