Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #1,771 of 3,690
Line out has a fixed voltage.
Exactly like the line out of a source (CD player or DAC).
It can be useful if after the Vali you want to connect a normal integrated amplifier or a different pre.
I think that with some skill it may be possible to change it.
But maybe the easiest way is to split the source before the Vali input RCA.

So, (again, stupid question on my part,) does the preamp component of the Vali 2 to feed something like powered monitors provide any of the sonic characteristics of the tube itself to said monitors/speakers, or is it simply a passthrough for feeding your dac source to your monitors/speakers?

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,772 of 3,690
So, (again, stupid question on my part,) does the preamp component of the Vali 2 to feed something like powered monitors provide any of the sonic characteristics of the tube itself to said monitors/speakers, or is it simply a passthrough for feeding your dac source to your monitors/speakers?

It adds tube flavor to the pre-outs

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,773 of 3,690
Hi guys im looking for a tube hybrid amp for my hifiman 400i's. I've heard that the Vali 2 is a decent choice, im torn between this and the Millet Hybrid DIY project. The vali is probably going to be cheaper, but which one will sound better? I know the millet hybrid has two tubes but knowing nothing about tube amps im not sure if that even makes a difference. What is even more frustrating the DIY projects are really not much cheaper by the time you buy solder and pay shipping to canada rather than just buying one that is assembled. Alternatively i was looking at the starlight or sunrise III aswell. BTW im coming from an O2 and looking for something to supplement it.I did not build the O2..again due to the cost of shipping to Canada and the solder and all that to save $20 buying it pre-built. 

Edit: Just found the Little Dot I+, does anyone know how the vali 2 compares?

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,774 of 3,690
Just got the Vali 2 unboxed, and while it looks & feels like a great little amp, I'm honestly a little scared to insert the tube into the socket. Are these things normally so difficult to get seated into the tube socket? This certainly isn't my first tube amp, but the fit is so freaking tight, I'm afraid I'm going to end up breaking the socket from putting too much force in trying to get the tube seated. It already seems like the socket itself is somewhat loose as it's wiggling around on the circuit-board when I try inserting them.

Is it normal for these things to fit so tightly?

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #1,775 of 3,690
Just got the Vali 2 unboxed, and while it looks & feels like a great little amp, I'm honestly a little scared to insert the tube into the socket. Are these things normally so difficult to get seated into the tube socket? This certainly isn't my first tube amp, but the fit is so freaking tight, I'm afraid I'm going to end up breaking the socket from putting too much force in trying to get the tube seated. It already seems like the socket itself is somewhat loose as it's wiggling around on the circuit-board when I try inserting them.

They do seat firmly. Press straight down, don't rotate and you should be OK. Just push a little bit at a time.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,776 of 3,690

They get easier to insert over time but I would be more concerned that your socket is wiggling around. 
I would be sending it back for a replacement. The socket should be solidly fixed in place.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,777 of 3,690
Okay. I am new to this whole high fidelity computer audio world. In the past I have relied on my Mac's DAC and used a variety of under $200 IEM's with 256 kbps AAC sources . But I wanted to get back into higher fidelity content and get some quality headphones.

Today I decided to dive in and I ordered a Schiit stack comprising a Modi 2 Multibit and a Vali 2. I needed the preamp outputs to drive powered monitors and the Vali 2 was only $20 more than the Magni 2 Uber.  So I figured, what the heck.

Now, what headphones work well with this combination? I listen to classic rock and classical music mostly. But I also like Jazz, R&B, and pop. I don't like hip hop or rap. My budget is flexible depending on value. I don't like to save money only to be disappointed and have to buy something better later. So let's say the budget is $500 but I would happy to spend less if the value is there. What would be a good choice to start with that I won't want to replace right away?

Thanks!!

Edit: For example, on Massdrop, they have the AKG K7XX for $200. Is that a good choice for the Vali 2?

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,778 of 3,690
  Okay. I am new to this whole high fidelity computer audio world. In the past I have relied on my Mac's DAC and used a variety of under $200 IEM's with 256 kbps AAC sources . But I wanted to get back into higher fidelity content and get some quality headphones.

Today I decided to dive in and I ordered a Schiit stack comprising a Modi 2 Multibit and a Vali 2. I needed the preamp outputs to drive powered monitors and the Vali 2 was only $20 more than the Magni 2 Uber.  So I figured, what the heck.

Now, what headphones work well with this combination? I listen to classic rock and classical music mostly. But I also like Jazz, R&B, and pop. I don't like hip hop or rap. My budget is flexible depending on value. I don't like to save money only to be disappointed and have to buy something better later. So let's say the budget is $500 but I would happy to spend less if the value is there. What would be a good choice to start with that I won't want to replace right away?

Thanks!!

Edit: For example, on Massdrop, they have the AKG K7XX for $200. Is that a good choice for the Vali 2?

My recommendation would be the HD600 or HD650 when you can catch them frequently on sale. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,779 of 3,690

Thanks!!

As RickB says the HD600 or 650 are marvelous with this. I use the 600 and it pares marvelously with the Vali 2. Massdrop recently had the HD6xx on sale which was, I understand similar in sound signature to the 650 but considerably cheaper. They aren't on MD now, but you can ask to be notified when they return.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,781 of 3,690
  My recommendation would be the HD600 or HD650 when you can catch them frequently on sale. 

As RickB says the HD600 or 650 are marvelous with this. I use the 600 and it pares marvelously with the Vali 2. Massdrop recently had the HD6xx on sale which was, I understand similar in sound signature to the 650 but considerably cheaper. They aren't on MD now, but you can ask to be notified when they return.

+1 for Vali 2 with the 600
A great match!

Awesome. HD650 or HD6xx it is! I like it when there is a consensus. Now I just have to figure out what tube to get to replace the one that ships with the Vali 2.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,782 of 3,690

Awesome. HD650 or HD6xx it is! I like it when there is a consensus. Now I just have to figure out what tube to get to replace the one that ships with the Vali 2.

Start out with the Electro Harmonix 6922 for less than $20.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,783 of 3,690

Start out with the Electro Harmonix 6922 for less than $20.  

The Electro-Harmonix 6922EH our the Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold? I read the JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold was better yet. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #1,784 of 3,690
The regular EH6922 is under $20, the gold pin will be $25-30.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #1,785 of 3,690
I agree. I used vali 2, modi multibit and hd650 for a while before buying the Jotunheim. Vali 2 is a fantastic amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back