Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #1,607 of 3,702
This little amp continue to impress. It does what it does and that's it. Running the Electro Harmonix 6922, feeding my Elears. Sublime.

Absolutely!
I also have the EH6922 old pins and those are not bad at all.
Probably a good match with the Vali2.
Are there better amps/tubes? Of course..... But at what price?

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,612 of 3,702
Has anyone tried AKG K7xx cans with the Vali 2? I'm wondering how they'd pair. Right now I'm using Grado SR80i's but I keep seeing Massdrops on K7xx's for $199.

I had my vali 2 for a short time with my K712's. Both brand new out of the box.

Fist impression with no burn in was was extremely disappointing. Sound was thin, no bass, and generally a bland sound signature. After the tubes had several dozen hours of burn in along with my cans burned in, they really opened up. Night and day difference.

I then rolled in a Russian reflector, and a Tesla tube. Sound was amazing. Great sound stage, mids and highs were spot on, and bass was nice and accurate but not booming or muddled.

The stock Canadian tubes it comes with are pretty boring imo.

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #1,613 of 3,702
I ordered a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC, the Vali 2 Tube Rolling thread seems to like it, they say it's a bit more "tubey" than the EH 6922:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/Genalex-Gold-Lion-E88CC-6922

The stack is looking much more serious now:

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,615 of 3,702
  Hey guys, I was hoping someone might be able to help me out...

I've had a Vali 2 for some time now and I've tried 2 tubes so far (stock 6BZ7 68Q7A and a Philips PCC88), both played for over 100 hours. The problem is that both tubes sounds the same as the headphone out on my DAC (Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Interface), I'm using HD 600s and playing FLAC through Foobar. 

Would I need to get some other DAC that changes the sound (to a not so flat or hyped up sound maybe)? Or is the quality of the DAC so good that it's near impossible to tell? I thought it should be night and day from a tube amp to an output running off usb power, it's driving me mad trying to find any tiny differences lol.

I know some people don't know what to listen out for so they can't tell a MP3 from a FLAC, I can, I won't get it right all of the time but I can tell that they're not the same at least. This might be 1 of them hard to tell situations, if that is the case I would like to know before I go spending more on a new DAC.

They all sound great to be honest but they sound the same. 

If  you are happier listening to the music and therefor enjoying it more, then that is all the difference any sane (read: not OCD) person should want. 

Or need.

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #1,616 of 3,702

Its unbelievable how good this tube sounds in my Vali 2. This particular 6SN7 is a Sylvania 6SN7WGT that is probably as old as I am. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,620 of 3,702
  They look like the ones I have which are from 1955.

That's about right. I have some others that are in original boxes and they are 1952. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back