Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Oct 20, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #1,621 of 3,690
  Do you make octal adapters yourself, or are they available somewhere? I am eyeing a 6n9s, which is an equivalent of 6sl7.H

Here's the sort of adapter you can buy and you will also need a 6DJ8/ECC88 socket saver to raise the 9 pins above Vali's outer casing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-6SN7-6N8P-CV181-TO-ECC88-6922-6DJ8-tube-adapter-for-you-amp-CNC-Copper-body-/191203120371?hash=item2c849814f3:g:8VoAAOSwgQ9V2-87

6SL7 does have the same pin out as 6SN7 but very different characteristics. Has Schiit confirmed it will work in Vali?

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #1,623 of 3,690
Can the Schiit Lisst tube be used with the Vali 2? I would think you can because it uses the same tubes as the Lyr 2. I'd get the Vali 2 in a heartbeat if it can be a hybrid and solid state amp.

You could but the result may not be ideal. This is from the Vali 2 FAQ on Schiit's website:

"Hey, can you use LISST in this?
Sure you can, but why? Magni 2 Uber is a better, more powerful, and less expensive choice for a solid-state amp."

Couldn't find the post, but I remember reading another member's conclusions that pretty much confirmed the above. Even without the solid state possibility, there are still plenty of good reasons to get a Vali 2!

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,624 of 3,690
  Even without the solid state possibility [...]

You can definitely use a LISST.   I think it's more that they're suggesting it'd be silly to buy a Vali 2, only to stick a LISST in it.  If you want the option of also doing full solid state, you certainly could.  I was planning on tracking a down a single LISST for my Vali 2 (or getting two for an eventual Mjolnir 2 purchase), but I feel my tubes are neutral enough, that I've decided not bother having that baseline, solid state (and presumably flat) reference point, at least for now.

I can't get over how good this thing is for the money.  It's ridiculous.  Even as a preamp, it does shockingly well.  Again, for the money anyhow; your mileage may such and such and that.

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #1,625 of 3,690

You've got it correct!

I would probably try a 6DJ8 GE 'grey/smoked/dark glass' such as this, but other posters will have different opinions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECC88-6DJ8-GE-GREY-GLASS-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/262564328203?hash=item3d220db30b:g:2GsAAOSwyLlXpHHu

Alternatively you could also consider a 9 pin Noval 6DJ8 socket extender and 6SN7 to 6DJ8/ECC88 adapter, both available on eBAY, and try some warm Octals, like Tung-Sol 6SN7 'mouse ears'- there's loads of threads and web pages on Octal 6SN7 tubes. Here's a very useful one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Only your own ears will eventually decide what's best for you.
Good luck.

@HOWIE13 my wallet hates you, though my ears thank you for introducing me to the 6SN7 tubes/valves. Am currently using a VT-231 JAN Sylvania.

So, I just wanted to thank you for your advice.

Ian

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,627 of 3,690
Would anyone who is running a 6SN7 like to please give some details/opinions/impressions on how it compares to the EH 6922, and the Gold Lion ECC88?

Would you say going from GL ECC88 to 6SN7 is as big a jump as stock to EH 6922? (Very Noticeable)
Or is it closer to going from EH 6922 to GL ECC88? (More Slight)

As a side note, the 6SN7 is the same tube Schiit is using in both their new preamps so it must have very low noise!

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #1,628 of 3,690
Sorry, I can't wax lyrical about the different tubes/valves as I'm a bit of a newbie to tube rolling. I also can't comment on the Gold Lion ECC88 as I haven't heard one. What I do know is that 6SN7 / VT-231 that I have, sounds very good to my ears, so much so, that I now have my eyes on some other 6SN7's.

Perhaps someone more experienced can comment on the sonic differences between to 6922 / ECC88 and the Octals.

I was also wondering about the use 6SN7 in the new preamps, I do seem to remember that Jason (Schiit.com) commented that he bought a job lot of 6BZ7 and designed the Vali 2 for them, though my memory my be faulty. So perhaps they've bought a job lot of 6SN7's 
happy_face1.gif

[edited to add missing word]

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,629 of 3,690
In preparation for arrival of the Jotunheim I decided to play musical amps amongst my 3 headphone listening setups. I was planning on selling my Magni 2U but heck it's a pretty darn good sounding amp that integrates very well with all of my Schiit DACs so it seems like a pity to get rid of it. Well it's either the Magni or the Vali2 that has to go but I love this little hybrid and the assortment of tubes that I have acquired.

Then, an idea popped into my head. Let's see how the Vali2 sounds with a secondary turntable (Rega RP1) that I have in our home theatre room. This turntable sees virtually no spin time because of the bass feedback caused by the 15" sub when the volume is raised. As a result most of my vinyl time (Rega RP6) is spent on my primary 2 channel system. So now I have the phono preamp connected to the Vali2 giving me a dedicated phono headphone setup.

Using the Senn HD598's I'm hearing a beautiful full bodied sound with very satisfying level of bass. Absolutely no hint of Sennheiser veil, I'm hearing a very engaging mid range and clear but not piercing highs. It's a very relaxing and easy listening sound with absolutely no fatigue whatsoever. The 598's have a very wide soundscape enabling nice instrument separation. All in all the sound takes me back to the '70's era sound but much clearer and engaging.

Looks like I'm not selling any of my amps now. Instead I've just a added a 4th headphone system. All's good for now but the wife has been talking about down sizing our home in the near future, but I'll deal with that whenever that becomes a reality.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,630 of 3,690
Hello,

I am choosing between the Vali1 and the Vali2. Which one has more mids range?

My headphone is the LCD2 r2 and I love its mids. So i want an amp to only focus into this range.

Thank you guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back