Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,516 of 3,690
Im finding Schiit amp for my DT880 - 600ohm. Just considering between Vali 2 and Asgard 1/2. What will better for DT880. Vali 2 is cheaper but I am concerning its power to drive such 600ohm hp. please advise. thanks

I have the Asgard 2 and the Vali 2. The Vali is more dark sounding and while the tube doesn't effect the sound quite like a otl amp changing tubes will change its sound. Also I have the HD700 and the HD600 and DT-880 250 and it runs them really well with the pot not even at half. It would depend on how loud you want it but I think it would have plenty for the DT-880 600's.

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,517 of 3,690
I have the Asgard 2 and the Vali 2. The Vali is more dark sounding and while the tube doesn't effect the sound quite like a otl amp changing tubes will change its sound. Also I have the HD700 and the HD600 and DT-880 250 and it runs them really well with the pot not even at half. It would depend on how loud you want it but I think it would have plenty for the DT-880 600's.

Many thanks for your sharing. In your view, which one (Asgard 2 or Vali 2) you prefer to pair with DT880. Thanks again! 

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,519 of 3,690
Hello. Here are my thoughts regarding Vali2, after a couple of months. I listen to it through dt 990 600 Ohm. I love it, easily the best sound I've ever experienced. Regarding a previous post here, it has enough power to make you go deaf (maybe that makes sense, a a long-term way of saving money on equipment) :wink:.
The DAC I use is fiio d3, through optical.
The sound of Vali2 actually depends on the tube. I will try to provide a concise report of my experiences with European tubes.

1. e88cc Tesla, both gold-pin and military version: improvement over the stock 6bq7a. Good, dirt cheap, but excel at nothing and the highs seemed off.
  2. 6n23p - I own a pair of Reflector tubes from the 60s. They sound great, natural, and deep. The reason I use roll other tubes is, I guess, I enjoy their  coloration.
  3. 6n2p - these Russians have higher gain. They don't heat up the amp as much. Triple mica Voschods from the 70s offer incredible soundstage, which might be due to the fact that the highs are exaggerated. Again, the ones from Reflector facility completely dominate (early 60s), although one of them died 5 min in, and both were microphonic). If you're looking for 'tube sound' look no further. 6n2p-e sounded the same to me
  4. 6n1p Voschod - vast improvement over the abovementioned tubes
  5. 6n1p-EW Voschod (late production) just better than the non-ew. It seems to me that the non-ew play a bit louder. EW has a bit less background noise.
  6. 6n1p NEWZ, triple mica, black thin anodes, 1965 - Tighter soundstage, but better instrument separation, does it even make sense? I dunno, I guess it's all just for fun. Awesome tube, similar to 6n1p-ew from Voschod, but the highs are more pleasant.
  7. 6n1p-W NEWZ two micas, black anodes, more or less same morphology as voschod-ew. (1968). Simply put, just better, I love them and will hoard them

Overall, the russians made some preeeeety good tubes. As a sidenote, Vali2 likes it hot - and so do tubes, it usually takes 20 min from power up for them to show their full capabilities. A word of caution, most of the russian tubes take ages in Vali to 'burn in' - I needed around 50-100 hours in Foobar, which I guess corresponds to 200 hours of use... I a sceptical of audiophile myths, but here the change is obvious.
One more, I recommend buying used tubes for this amp (but not half-dead, ofc. have a seller whom you trust plug them in a tester and check the emission.
Now, what should I do with a heap of Russian tubes?? :D
cheers

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,522 of 3,690
  Wondering if anyone has listened to this on the hd800's? I'm looking to get either a vali 2 or valhalla 2 for my 800's. Not sure if the extra money is worth it?

Cheers

Well, I don't have the HD800S yet, will have it soon, but I can tell you that if you can do the Valhalla2, or the Lyr2, that is the way I would go. So cannot answer specifically as to whether or not the 800S will perform to some satisfactory level, but I would expect that, at the least, it will not perform to it's full capability.

Impressive as the Vali2 is, it does get better as you go up the line. The up-line amps do throw a larger, more realistic soundstage/aural image. It's not just about the volume capability, it's about the ability to carve the space, articulate the subtle details in that space, slam the dynamics when called for, and still maintain the micro-dynamics. (Add to that the reputation that the 800S has for temperamental amp matching.)

Yes, the money is worth it. And you can find fantastic tubes for the Valhalla w/o spending 'trophy tube' money.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,523 of 3,690
  Just out of curiosity, anyone else here in the Vali 2 thread use it with an MDR-Z7? I recently snagged a pair of Z7's off of Ebay for a steal, but when I listened through the Vali 2, it felt extremely dark and muddy. I tried my phone and tablet, with similar results. I knew coming into the purchase that it was a pretty dark-sounding headphone, but I'm guessing pairing it with a tube amp just makes it even more so. Any counter-impressions would be interesting to hear. I think eventually, I might try that surgical tape mod and see if it helps a little.

MDR-Z7 are unfortunately very boomy and "dark" headphones. They need significant EQ to sound flat. I replaced my MDR-Z7's with Oppo PM-3's and I haven't looked back. The PM-3 has tons of bass but doesn't drown out the clarity - Planar Magic per se.

Good luck.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #1,524 of 3,690
Just using the hd800 not the hd800s. How much of a downgrade is this from the bottlehead crack. Sold that because i'd get noise when silent and I have massive OCD. I heard the vali 2 doesn't suffer from this.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #1,529 of 3,690
Anyone have any ideas?

DC heaters in the Lyr2 and Mjolnir2 lower the noise. Better choices for noise.
Vahalla2 and Vali2 have AC heaters and will have noise as you increase the volume. With high impedance (300 Ohm) phones at normal volume levels, you should hear very little, if any, noise.
Other sources of noise are tubes and power supply. Make sure you have quiet tubes and clean power.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,530 of 3,690
DC heaters in the Lyr2 and Mjolnir2 lower the noise. Better choices for noise.
Vahalla2 and Vali2 have AC heaters and will have noise as you increase the volume. With high impedance (300 Ohm) phones at normal volume levels, you should hear very little, if any, noise.
Other sources of noise are tubes and power supply. Make sure you have quiet tubes and clean power.

In Vali2 I hear quiet background hum, irrespective of volume setting, with many headphones, with many tubes, on high gain. Low gain is always silent.
The tubes don't hum in other amps and I can't do much about the power supply so I try to use low power as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back