Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jul 8, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,426 of 3,690

Still a great little amp!! 

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,427 of 3,690
  Hmmm... My 400i's will go plenty loud enough on low gain for me. It must be our sources. I'm at around 1 o'clock, give or take depending on the media. I usually listen with the 400i's out of my Emotiva CD Player. 

Yes I'm all Classical and it's mostly recorded at a lower level to allow for ample dynamic range. That and source would likely explain it.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,430 of 3,690
Does anyone find the stock tube's bass muddy?

Let's say that those are not the best in terms of definition. But that's a ten bucks tube (retail price).
I think they did on purpose to let us the pleasure to play with different tubes and have fun.
To me the Vali2 is a toy, a beautiful toy.
Perfect entry level for the ones that want to have some feeling about the tube amps without spending a fortune.

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #1,431 of 3,690
Let's say that those are not the best in terms of definition. But that's a ten bucks tube (retail price).
I think they did on purpose to let us the pleasure to play with different tubes and have fun.
Perfect entry level for the ones that want to have some feeling about the tube amps without spending a fortune.

Could you recommend me affordable tubes that are better than stock?

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #1,433 of 3,690
Could you recommend me affordable tubes that are better than stock?

I have been using the Electro Harmonix Gold. It has a more 'tubey' sound than stock and is reasonably cheap. I doubt think that the Vali 2 will ever produce a full-on tube sound no matter the tube used.

Yes, Electro Harmonix Gold or Philips.
Being hybrid it won't never sound as fully tube

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #1,434 of 3,690

I received the Sylvania 6BQ7A stock tube with my V2 and actually loved how it sounded. Very good instrument separation, nice detail, forward mid range the way I like it. I began to explore the V2 tube rolling thread and decided to purchase a couple of popular tubes that everyone seemed to like, Electro Harmonix 6922 (regular) and JJ E88CC (gold pin). While each of these tubes sounded slightly different from one another I preferred the JJ. However compared to the stock tube they both sounded conjested and too dull to me. The bass definitely dug deeper (into the sub bass region) but the mid and treble was too boring to me. The stock tube just has so much more detail and life to it that I can't stop listening to my music because it sounds so good. I don't know but I keep wondering if both the JJ and EH tubes that I purchased might be defective because everyone else seems to describe their stock tube as sounding drab, the way I describe the JJ and EH. I don't care for how my HD650 &HE500 sound with the V2 (hi gain), it's as though the V2 strains to produce music so I use the much easier to drive Beyerdynamics DT1350 and HD598 with the Vali 2. These headphones are a real pleasure to listen to with the V2, more so withe stock Sylvania stock tube.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,435 of 3,690
I currently have the original Vali and I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the Vali 2 just on a sound quality basis. I don't really need any of the new features they added, but just based on the improvement in the sound would it be a good idea?

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,436 of 3,690
  I currently have the original Vali and I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the Vali 2 just on a sound quality basis. I don't really need any of the new features they added, but just based on the improvement in the sound would it be a good idea?

In my opinion, yes. The Vali 2 has noticeably lower distortion than the 1. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,437 of 3,690

I have both. After getting the Vali 2, the org Vali just sits there. (Unless I want to experiment)

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,440 of 3,690
  I love the tubey sound of the original Vali.  Does the Vali 2 stock tube sound similar?

My main issue with Vali is the ringing.  Does Vali 2 improve in that regard?

The Vali 2 is not as tubey. It has no ringing or other microphonics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back