Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #1,411 of 3,690
Been driving my T1 2nd gen with the Vali 2/Bifrost MB combo and on high gain I get good volume at about 10 o clock. The position of the volume pot depends a lot on the gain of the Dac/source used.
y

I too have the v2 and Bifrost MB and find that the Vali2 must be in high gain mode to drive my HD650 and HE500 satisfactorly. Since then I have moved the Vali2 out of this setup and replaced it with the more powerful Lake People G109S headphone amp. It's definitely driving my headphones with more impact than the V2 but decided to also switch it to high gain. So I don't know if the MB gain is unusually low but my headphones definitely need gain and juice to get them sounding best.

I moved the Vali 2 to my bedroom setup, which is fed by a FiiO X5ii DAP via its coaxial output (which utilizes the X5's built in DAC), along with the 80 ohm Beyerdynamics DT1350 headphone and find that in low gain the Vali2 sounds good but in high gain sounds much better still.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,413 of 3,690
y

I too have the v2 and Bifrost MB and find that the Vali2 must be in high gain mode to drive my HD650 and HE500 satisfactorly. Since then I have moved the Vali2 out of this setup and replaced it with the more powerful Lake People G109S headphone amp. It's definitely driving my headphones with more impact than the V2 but decided to also switch it to high gain. So I don't know if the MB gain is unusually low but my headphones definitely need gain and juice to get them sounding best.

I moved the Vali 2 to my bedroom setup, which is fed by a FiiO X5ii DAP via its coaxial output (which utilizes the X5's built in DAC), along with the 80 ohm Beyerdynamics DT1350 headphone and find that in low gain the Vali2 sounds good but in high gain sounds much better still.

On low gain , I get a smoother, warmer sound but the drawback is I need to use more of the volume pot, close to 11-12 o clock. No more than that or my ears hurt. I listen predominantly to metal so ymmv. Compared to other more expensive amps, I would say the Vali 2 is a real fire breathing monster in its own right. Solid sounding and scales well with better DACs and tube rolling.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,414 of 3,690
My 32ohm NAD HP50s are too loud on high gain. So I use low gain.
My 300ohm Senn HD-650s are too quiet on low gain. So I use high gain.

That's... that's pretty much about it. I can't really tell any difference in sound between high and low other than volume (and, unless I'm mistaken, you're not supposed to?)

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,415 of 3,690
  My 32ohm NAD HP50s are too loud on high gain. So I use low gain.
My 300ohm Senn HD-650s are too quiet on low gain. So I use high gain.

That's... that's pretty much about it. I can't really tell any difference in sound between high and low other than volume (and, unless I'm mistaken, you're not supposed to?)

Not true - there is a clear difference between high/low gain. Everybody should be able to hear that.
But although having clear/measurable distortion, High-Gain sounds better! Yeah!

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,417 of 3,690
  How does the preamp function of the Vali 2 compare to that of the Valhalla 2?

They're both good, but I didn't like the Vali 2 out to my Audioengine A2 speakers with the stock tube, it had bad synergy. When I rolled the 6CG7 EH tube, it sounded very pleasing, though. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #1,418 of 3,690
Which gain to use is a very personal thing.

With the exception of my HE400, which has lower sensitivity I find, in general, lower impedance headphones ie less than around 100 Ohms are more comfortable on low gain and higher impedance ones on high gain.

However, most of my headphones with most tubes do have a quiet background hum on high gain. Fortunately it's not usually intrusive on the music but is audible in gaps.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #1,420 of 3,690

Not true - there is a clear difference between high/low gain. Everybody should be able to hear that.
But although having clear/measurable distortion, High-Gain sounds better! Yeah!

Uh, it is true. Because that's what I hear (or, don't hear, as the case may be). High gain at "12 o'clock" and low gain at "4 o'clock" sound identical to me on my HD-650s.

What is it that you think I'm supposed to be hearing? Because unless I've completely misunderstood Schiit's engineering goals with high/low gain, you're not supposed to hear any difference other than volume... and I don't.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,421 of 3,690

Uh, it is true. Because that's what I hear (or, don't hear, as the case may be). High gain at "12 o'clock" and low gain at "4 o'clock" sound identical to me on my HD-650s.

What is it that you think I'm supposed to be hearing? Because unless I've completely misunderstood Schiit's engineering goals with high/low gain, you're not supposed to hear any difference other than volume... and I don't.

Great If you don't hear difference - then you don't have to worry about the gain switch any longer.
The differences are quite subtle and negligent  really….

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #1,422 of 3,690

For me, low gain sounds smoother, more mellow.  Hi gain is more aggressive, edgy. Listen for that. I prefer low gain for most HPs. Especially my HE400i's which are low impedance and my daily drivers. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,423 of 3,690
My AKG's like high gain more than low gain.  My amplifier will only run with low gain, because there's too much hum on high gain for the speaker setup.  It's nice to have the switch.

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,424 of 3,690
  For me, low gain sounds smoother, more mellow.  Hi gain is more aggressive, edgy. Listen for that. I prefer low gain for most HPs. Especially my HE400i's which are low impedance and my daily drivers. 

I have HE400's and they need the high gain as although they have low impedance they also have relatively low sensitivity and just don't go loud enough to scale well with low gain. 
Fortunately they are one of the few headphones that I don't hear a background hum with on the high gain.
I don't know the HE400-i, I haven't listened to them- though would like to.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #1,425 of 3,690
  I have HE400's and they need the high gain as although they have low impedance they also have relatively low sensitivity and just don't go loud enough to scale well with low gain. 
Fortunately they are one of the few headphones that I don't hear a background hum with on the high gain.
I don't know the HE400-i, I haven't listened to them- though would like to.

Hmmm... My 400i's will go plenty loud enough on low gain for me. It must be our sources. I'm at around 1 o'clock, give or take depending on the media. I usually listen with the 400i's out of my Emotiva CD Player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back