Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jun 23, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,397 of 3,690

You mean this?

I am satisfied, but the only real judge are your ears.

Cheers.

Do you have any recommendations on different tubes?

IMHO, the choice of the tubes is even more difficult than chosing the amplifier.
But since you asked me my honest suggestion is to get familiar to the Vali 2 by using the stock tube.
Those people in Schiit know what they do and the standard tube is good enough to start.
Then I suggest you to set a budget for the tube proportionate to the cost of the amplifier, let's say 25-40 USD.
In that range the choice is huge and my preferences within the new tubes are on the Electro Harmonix 6922.
Within the NOS I choose the Philips, but I think that in that price range there must be a lot of "good" ones.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,400 of 3,690
I was getting this occasional crackling also. It was my cell phone being too close to the amp, I had to move it to the opposite side of my desk, and my wireless network usb stick as well. Tube are very sensitive to EMI, some more than others. My EH 6922 was worse with this than my JJ E88CC gold pin. Once I moved them away the crackling stopped.

Hello new friends!

Wanted to post an update and also say @Letmebefrank may have hit the nail on the head with this one. I waved my cellphone over my tube and it gave feedback. Tried again to confirm, confirmed. It may have been a combination of things but it is certainly sensitive to frequency my phone is sending/receiving.

Re-seating the the tube in the socket seemed to help as well, at least it appears to have.

Anyway thanks again.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #1,401 of 3,690

Hello new friends!

Wanted to post an update and also say @Letmebefrank may have hit the nail on the head with this one. I waved my cellphone over my tube and it gave feedback. Tried again to confirm, confirmed. It may have been a combination of things but it is certainly sensitive to frequency my phone is sending/receiving.

Re-seating the the tube in the socket seemed to help as well, at least it appears to have.

Anyway thanks again.

Awesome! Always happy to help :D

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #1,402 of 3,690

Hello new friends!

Anyway thanks again.

Glad it's working okay now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,403 of 3,690
  Very good tube-and, in my experience, very reliable Seller.

I can't fault the seller, the ECC88 tube I purchased developed a fault, one channel was cutting out after 40 minutes or so, came back when I switched the Vali 2 off then back on, after a delay, then finally got a constant buzzing. I reported the issue to the seller yesterday, replacement arrived today, I didn't check the code on the one I sent back, but the one I received today has GA2 49A on the underside, I don't understand the codes etc, 

Have yet to try the replacement, though appreciate the excellent service.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,405 of 3,690
Jun 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,406 of 3,690
Jun 30, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,407 of 3,690
Hi guys, I have the Fidelio X2s and the original Vali.  Would I benefit in any way to replace my Vali with the Vali 2?  Is there a big difference in sound quality?  I'm a pretty casual listener and probably wouldn't switch out the stock tube unless there was some mass consensus as to a specific tube that would sound way better.  

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,408 of 3,690
Difference in sound, yes.
Difference is quality? I'm not too sure if I can say one if clearly better than the other.

But the original Vali is much more tubey than the Vali2 with stock tubes.
However, there are clear advantages of the Vali 2.
The most important being the removal of the ringing noise and the ability to roll tubes.
Personally, even when paired with a warm tube (Mullard) the Vali2 didn't sound as tubey as the original Vali.
But, that's just my experience...YMMV

I'd say get the Vali2 and try it for the 2 weeks or so return window Schiit provides and decide for yourself.

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #1,409 of 3,690
Out of curiosity to anyone with a pair of 600 ohm Beyers, how high do you set your volume pot? Is it normal to crank it almost all the way to get a nice loud listening experience? I know the 600s require more juice, I just didn't think it'd be this much.

Edit: Nevermind. No idea what changed, but now I'm floating a lot closer to 12'.

Been driving my T1 2nd gen with the Vali 2/Bifrost MB combo and on high gain I get good volume at about 10 o clock. The position of the volume pot depends a lot on the gain of the Dac/source used.

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,410 of 3,690
  Hi guys, I have the Fidelio X2s and the original Vali.  Would I benefit in any way to replace my Vali with the Vali 2?  Is there a big difference in sound quality?  I'm a pretty casual listener and probably wouldn't switch out the stock tube unless there was some mass consensus as to a specific tube that would sound way better.  

If it's tubey warm sound you crave in Vali 2 I found 'FrankenVali2' the warmest, which still retains detail.

Dual 7193 type tubes (K-R or even warmer RCA) with an appropriate adapter and socket extender from eBay would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back