Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,382 of 3,690
Hello, brand new to the forum. Currently running a Vali 2/Modi 2U with Fostex Mk3's and Shure HPAEC1540's.

I'm getting a crackling noise in the headphone from time to time and trying to troubleshoot what the problem is. I've tried swapping out the cable and adapter but to not avail. Not sure if it's the headphones but I was thinking it might be the Vali 2 tube. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance,
Fish

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #1,383 of 3,690
  Hello, brand new to the forum. Currently running a Vali 2/Modi 2U with Fostex Mk3's and Shure HPAEC1540's.

I'm getting a crackling noise in the headphone from time to time and trying to troubleshoot what the problem is. I've tried swapping out the cable and adapter but to not avail. Not sure if it's the headphones but I was thinking it might be the Vali 2 tube. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance,
Fish

Could be lots of possibilities but I've had cracking noises when the tube isn't connecting properly in the amp's socket. Checking pins are not bent and giving them a good clean has helped.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,384 of 3,690
  Could be lots of possibilities but I've had cracking noises when the tube isn't connecting properly in the amp's socket. Checking pins are not bent and giving them a good clean has helped.

Tube and pins look clean. Only been running it for a few weeks now and problem just started (for context).

For what it's worth there are some markings on the tube that don't really mean much to me at the moment.. They are:

BQ7A

I wiped the tube down to get any smudge or fingerprints off of it. Re-installed firmly. I'll monitor to see if anything changes over the next day or so. Have to hit the hay now :)

I feel like its seated properly now for sure.

Thanks HOWIE13

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #1,385 of 3,690
On my Little Dot I+, I used to get crackling from the Tube a lot. I ended up getting these from my local Rat Shack...

It got rid of the crackling (sprayed both the tube socket and the tube pins). I sprayed down the socket on my Vali2 before I ever inserted a tube into it, so I don't know if that would've exhibited any crackling.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,386 of 3,690

Thanks in advance,
Fish

I was getting this occasional crackling also. It was my cell phone being too close to the amp, I had to move it to the opposite side of my desk, and my wireless network usb stick as well. Tube are very sensitive to EMI, some more than others. My EH 6922 was worse with this than my JJ E88CC gold pin. Once I moved them away the crackling stopped.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,387 of 3,690
  Tube and pins look clean. Only been running it for a few weeks now and problem just started (for context).

For what it's worth there are some markings on the tube that don't really mean much to me at the moment.. They are:

BQ7A

I wiped the tube down to get any smudge or fingerprints off of it. Re-installed firmly. I'll monitor to see if anything changes over the next day or so. Have to hit the hay now :)

I feel like its seated properly now for sure.

Thanks HOWIE13

Fingers crossed it will be alright.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,388 of 3,690
I was getting this occasional crackling also. It was my cell phone being too close to the amp, I had to move it to the opposite side of my desk, and my wireless network usb stick as well. Tube are very sensitive to EMI, some more than others. My EH 6922 was worse with this than my JJ E88CC gold pin. Once I moved them away the crackling stopped.

That reminds me I had a buzzing problem with my wife's phone too-though mine was alright.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,389 of 3,690
  On my Little Dot I+, I used to get crackling from the Tube a lot. I ended up getting these from my local Rat Shack...

It got rid of the crackling (sprayed both the tube socket and the tube pins). I sprayed down the socket on my Vali2 before I ever inserted a tube into it, so I don't know if that would've exhibited any crackling.

I love Deoxit.

With really dirty pins I sand first, then spray with Deoxit. It doesn't seem to remove the tube print the same way as alcohol did, but I'm still careful to avoid spraying the glass, just in case.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,390 of 3,690
  I love Deoxit.

With really dirty pins I sand first, then spray with Deoxit. It doesn't seem to remove the tube print the same way as alcohol did, but I'm still careful to avoid spraying the glass, just in case.

Just got home so I'll be monitoring the situation tonight. If I still have problems I may try this as well, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back