Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,051 of 3,690
I run my NAD HP50 and PSB M4U1 on low gain around 12 o'clock.

I run my wife's 600ohm DT880s on high gain around 3 'clock. 

The DT880s are pretty power hungry, but the vali 2 can do it. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,052 of 3,690
Gain != power. 

From the Vali 2 specs on schiit.com:

Firstly, with the output impedances listed, unless your headphones are below about 40-50 Ohms, high gain mode will probably be fine*. The low gain setting might have less hiss or noise.
Secondly, gain is a multiplier of the input voltage (very roughly speaking) to the output voltage. Aside from the two issues mentioned above, it should probably be chosen to allow for ideal volume control for your listening preferences. 

*The usual arguments about ideal output impedance I don't think matter much with an amp this cheap.
So I guess the only difference is your volume?

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,054 of 3,690
As this is my first venture with Tube amps, when you turn it on for the first time you have to wait about 15-20 seconds till you hear a pop from the headphones. The pop seems a bit vicious. Would it potentially damage the headphones and Should i just not plug in my headphones till after about 20 seconds to avoid it?

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,056 of 3,690
It feels like 3 o'clock on high gain is producing same amount of volume at 6 o'clock on low gain for me

Err 6 o'clock? My Vali 2 volume pot doesn't even reach 6 o' clock. It stops at 5 o'clock. In fact it only goes from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock. :| 

Different world time zone, maybe...
:)

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,058 of 3,690
Really? What's the difference though? I can still hear quite a bit music from low gain

My HE500 which is a completely different headphone, I know sounded okay on lo gain except the bass on a familiar track was seriously lacking so I lowered the volume and switched to hi gain. The bass that I knew should have been there was back.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,059 of 3,690
  As this is my first venture with Tube amps, when you turn it on for the first time you have to wait about 15-20 seconds till you hear a pop from the headphones. The pop seems a bit vicious. Would it potentially damage the headphones and Should i just not plug in my headphones till after about 20 seconds to avoid it?

I'm not sure if others experience this issue, but when powering up my Vali 2, there is no noise in the HPs when the amp has reached its ready state. I also can't hear anything coming from the amp itself either. 

Edit it to add:  It does pop.  See post below.

I do do have an older org Magni and it does have a click coming from the amp, and a soft pop in the HPs when reaching the ready state. Nothing harmful though.

This is may be a sample to sample issue, I don't know. Others would have to chime in to get a better idea. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,060 of 3,690

I'm not sure if others experience this issue, but when powering up my Vali 2, there is no noise in the HPs when the amp has reached its ready state. I also can't hear anything coming from the amp itself either. 

I do do have an older org Magni and it does have a click coming from the amp, and a soft pop in the HPs when reaching the ready state. Nothing harmful though.

This is may be a sample to sample issue, I don't know. Others would have to chime in to get a better idea. 

My Vali 2 does a very loud pop about 5-10 seconds after I turn it on, it almost hurts my ears if I have the headphones on my head when it happens. I leave my HD598s plugged in and I didnt really think about it damaging the headphones but now that you say something I'm a bit worried, I'll probably unplug them before I turn it on now.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #1,061 of 3,690

My Vali 2 does a very loud pop about 5-10 seconds after I turn it on, it almost hurts my ears if I have the headphones on my head when it happens. I leave my HD598s plugged in and I didnt really think about it damaging the headphones but now that you say something I'm a bit worried, I'll probably unplug them before I turn it on now.

After reading your post , I went back and checked mine again. It does pop!  I would have sworn that I checked it when new and didn't hear anything. Since, I have never paid any attention. Maybe it only started doing it later?  Will never know I guess. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,062 of 3,690
I think it's pretty standard, mine has that pop as well, and only after the pop will sound come through from the computer. 

Also from Schiit's website, the Vali 2 FAQ.

So you probably cheaped out and left the protection off this amp, or something stupid like that, right?
No. Vali 2 has a relay mute for delayed startup and fast shut-down. You can leave your headphones plugged in all the time. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #1,063 of 3,690
Pretty sure the "pop" is normal and everybody's does it.

I've only heard it twice (usually don't have my cans on when I power on the vali 2), but while it was jarring, it wasn't equipment-destroying loud. Personally I assume that it sounds especially loud because it's on a flat black background soundwise. I bet if you took a dbl meter to it, it's not much louder than "enthusiastic" listening volume.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,064 of 3,690
This is the same as in almost all Schiit amps. It is a relay that is designed to protect the attached headphones from damage upon start-up. Jason has stated several times this is normal and that if it bothers you, simply disconnect the phones before you turn the amp on, and reconnect them after the relay has done it's thing 10 seconds after turn on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back