Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #767 of 3,690

I have to agree, I received ​a 6922EH and JJ EE88CC this week and the Electro Harmonix is head and shoulders above the JJ and stock 6BQ7 for the music I listen to.  Until the 6922EH I was worried I had pretty much thrown away $169 because the Vali 2 with stock tube while smoother than my Fiio E10k driving HE-400i's, it was a giant detail eraser with mediocre bass.  With the EH its still smooth but the details are more present and the bass is just perfect. 

There is a thread for the Vali 2 tube rolling here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/793982/vali-2-tube-rolling

Your impressions and comparison of these 2 tubes would be valuable information over there!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #768 of 3,690
  i've got JJ-E88CC, Electro-Harmonix 6922 and Electro-Harmonix 6CG7 on the way --

the stock tube is a sylvania

Would you mind posting your impressions of the JJ and the two Electro-Harmonix over in the Vali 2 tube rolling thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/793982/vali-2-tube-rolling I'm sure people here would be very interested how they compare to the stock tube.

I got a "Made in the USA" Sylvania as stock tube as well, replaced it two days ago with a Tesla E88CC. These 6922 / E88CC tubes are a major step up in sound quality over the 6DJ8 (stock) ones imho.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #769 of 3,690
Would you mind posting your impressions of the JJ and the two Electro-Harmonix over in the Vali 2 tube rolling thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/793982/vali-2-tube-rolling I'm sure people here would be very interested how they compare to the stock tube.

I got a "Made in the USA" Sylvania as stock tube as well, replaced it two days ago with a Tesla E88CC. These 6922 / E88CC tubes are a major step up in sound quality over the 6DJ8 (stock) ones imho.

Sure I will try to

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #771 of 3,690
Initially when I got my Vali2 I fed it from an X5ii line out and I was aware of hearing slight, not huge differences between tubes. Incidentally every tube I have was run in for 25 straight hours before I used them for serious listening.

Then I introduced a Bifrost 4490 into the chain, switching to the coaxial output of the X5ii. First off, the sound quality improvement was pretty substantial. Second, I'm not hearing that big of a difference between the stock Sylvania, JJE88CC or Electro-Harmonix 6922 tubes, subtle at most. For me the biggest change was introducing a much better DAC into the setup.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #772 of 3,690
Initially when I got my Vali2 I fed it from an X5ii line out and I was aware of hearing slight, not huge differences between tubes. Incidentally every tube I have was run in for 25 straight hours before I used them for serious listening.

Then I introduced a Bifrost 4490 into the chain, switching to the coaxial output of the X5ii. First off, the sound quality improvement was pretty substantial. Second, I'm not hearing that big of a difference between the stock Sylvania, JJE88CC or Electro-Harmonix 6922 tubes, subtle at most. For me the biggest change was introducing a much better DAC into the setup.

i'm running a modi 2 uber with the Vali 2 - i have the first magni and modi also - i haven't done an A/B comparison - but i'm not sure i hear a difference between the vali 2 or the magni - which may or may not be "bad"  -- just my ears - i may have burned the stock tube in about 8-9 hours perhaps.  or maybe it's my headphones.

i'm not running any lossless files just mp3s ranging from 128kbps - 320kbps - of course source material is important.

was just "tube-curious" - i dont' expect to go beyond the cost of a Vali 2 - and some tubes.

just a neat "toy"

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #773 of 3,690
Anyone could tell me more about the combo Vali 2 + Modi 2 running with a HD600 or HD650? I still have to decide what I choose between those two Sennheiser.

Which one would you recommend the most?

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #776 of 3,690
  Anyone could tell me more about the combo Vali 2 + Modi 2 running with a HD600 or HD650? I still have to decide what I choose between those two Sennheiser.

Which one would you recommend the most?

I own both of them (i also have modi 2 uber but i've sold it after I have Bifrost Multibit) . HD600 and HD650's sound sonic are similar, both of them have warm, smoothness laid back sound. The HD600 is more neutral and flat, while the HD650 is a bit warmer, more bass, smoothness laid back and soundstage. The HD650 is better for my taste.

I have listened Vali 2 (pair with Modi 2 uber) which borrow from my friend about a week. It especially drives my HD600 and HD650 better than my Magni2 Uber (Not much but still better). It adds a bit more warm natural sound from tube, clarity, a bit bass impact and soundstage.

If you really want to drive the HD600 and HD650 up to their potential, my advice is try them with OTL tube amp. With OTL tube amp those Sens cans will truly SHINE. My Valhalla 2 is out perform the Vali 2 when listening with HD650, HD650, HD800 and also with my Beyer T1. And if you have Bifrost Multibit to pair with Valhalla 2 for those Sens cans, you'll never look back to Magni2, Vali2, Asgard2 or even the Lyr2 (yeah for my taste).

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #777 of 3,690
Anyone have any direct comparisons between the Vali 2 and Modi 2 and uber? Most comparisons on the web are between the Modi 2 uber and original Vali. In reading these comparisons it's sounds as there isn't a big difference.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #778 of 3,690
Anyone have any direct comparisons between the Vali 2 and Modi 2 and uber? Most comparisons on the web are between the Modi 2 uber and original Vali. In reading these comparisons it's sounds as there isn't a big difference.

Are You asking if any has Compared the  Vali 2 / Modi 2 Uber Vs. the Original Vali / Modi 2 Uber

Users who are viewing this thread

Back