Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 4, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #467 of 3,690
  I want to start investigating tubes and the Vali 2 is on top of my wishlist.
Since I mostly own IEMs, is the Vali 2 usable with IEMs?

It should be.  The noise in low gain is quite low and Schiit recommends this amp from IEMs up to most planar headphones.  I don't use IEMs but have several efficient headphones and have had no issues with noise.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #468 of 3,690
Good to hear that is has low noise level. According to Schiit the noise on the first Vali was too high for IEMs. Apparently that was fixed for the second iteration of the Vali.

Now I have to really think hard and count my pennies.
Buy a new Vali 2.
Or opt for a good 2nd hand Lyr 2 at 1.5 the Vali price.
Or a new Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber.
Or...etc

Life is full of difficult choices and luxury problems.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #469 of 3,690
Good to hear that is has low noise level. According to Schiit the noise on the first Vali was too high for IEMs. Apparently that was fixed for the second iteration of the Vali.

Buy a new Vali 2.
Or...etc

Go check out the faq on the site. The Vali 2 is now quite feature laden. Jason has a chapter on it as well. It sounds great.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #470 of 3,690
I tried Windows media lossless. Got a few put on the computer, put them on a flash, and plugged into my cheaply made blu Ray player.....I'm sure you know where I'm going with this....my blu Ray wouldn't read it. But at least I get the gist.

Here's my question....what can I use to store and play flac files through my modi besides my computer....or do you have to do that? I would like to have a portable drive for the music but am wondering if there's a way to run that to a dac without the use of the computer?
I read squeezebox..but from 2012. I need to get with the times!!!!

I replied to your PM.
Can you please tell us the model of stand along blu-ray player you have? Then we can give you specific answers that will get you up an running.
beerchug.gif

It should be.  The noise in low gain is quite low and Schiit recommends this amp from IEMs up to most planar headphones.  I don't use IEMs but have several efficient headphones and have had no issues with noise.

+1

You should be good to go. IMO the low gain mode is nice and quiet, however I do not have any iems. With earbuds, though, it's quiet. Similar application albeit not exactly the same thing.

Quote:

Buy a new Vali 2.
Or...etc

First world problems...
biggrin.gif

Personally, I like buying new gear, but if your not opposed to buying used, find a killer deal on a Lyr 2, and it fits your budget, then I see no reason to not jump in.

Having said that, I LOVE my Vali 2. It's a killer little amp, and the price is right! Please note that I have not heard a Lyr 2 to compare it to, however.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #471 of 3,690

I replied to your PM.
Can you please tell us the model of stand along blu-ray player you have? Then we can give you specific answers that will get you up an running.
beerchug.gif

+1

You should be good to go. IMO the low gain mode is nice and quiet, however I do not have any iems. With earbuds, though, it's quiet. Similar application albeit not exactly the same thing.

Quote:
First world problems...
biggrin.gif

Personally, I like buying new gear, but if your not opposed to buying used, find a killer deal on a Lyr 2, and it fits your budget, then I see no reason to not jump in.

Having said that, I LOVE my Vali 2. It's a killer little amp, and the price is right! Please note that I have not heard a Lyr 2 to compare it to, however.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
smily_headphones1.gif

The only problem with buying used schiit gear is that it negates the 5 year warranty.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #472 of 3,690

The only problem with buying used schiit gear is that it negates the 5 year warranty.

And this is exactly the reason I like to buy my gear new. I don't want to sacrifice a warranty for a few bucks off, especially when you get into some more expensive gear. The risk is just not worth it IMO.

Heck, I once got burned on a used pair of Magnepan MMGs!!! Those are only $600 new and some jerk felt it was a good idea to try to rip me off...it's a sad world out there. PayPal made right on my claim, but I was still out shipping costs (about $60) to send the Maggies back to the seller.

Now I always buy new and from authorizes sellers only. Anything else is too risky IMO.

Jan 4, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #473 of 3,690
  And this is exactly the reason I like to buy my gear new. I don't want to sacrifice a warranty for a few bucks off, especially when you get into some more expensive gear. The risk is just not worth it IMO.

Heck, I once got burned on a used pair of Magnepan MMGs!!! Those are only $600 new and some jerk felt it was a good idea to try to rip me off...it's a sad world out there. PayPal made right on my claim, but I was still out shipping costs (about $60) to send the Maggies back to the seller.

Now I always buy new and from authorizes sellers only. Anything else is too risky IMO.

For me, I just like my new gear clean, shiny and oil-free. Not spotted with dandruff and covered with oil.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #474 of 3,690

For me, I just like my new gear clean, shiny and oil-free. Not spotted with dandruff and covered with oil.

LOL! Good point.

I just worry about how well the gear was treated prior to me owning it. I know how I take care of my gear, but not how well others do. I love my gear, so I treat it with love.

Color me paranoid!
tongue_smile.gif

Happy day. Don't worry, the 12ax7 on top is not for this amp. It's for a noisy guitar amp in need of a Tung Sol at V1.

Very nice!
cool.gif

It looks like you have some good times in your immediate future. Please let us know how the tube rolling goes. I am far too broke to do it right now, so I have to live vicariously through the rest of you. 
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #477 of 3,690

Very nice!
cool.gif

It looks like you have some good times in your immediate future. Please let us know how the tube rolling goes. I am far too broke to do it right now, so I have to live vicariously through the rest of you. 
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

The stock tube is absolutely great.  I've got 70 or so hours on it now and I'm a big fan.  Jason and Mike picked it for a reason.  I can say that I am really liking the 6CG7.  A new one runs less than 20 bucks.  I'd start there.  You'll probably end there.  I got the others to use with this and some other projects I plan on building.  

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #478 of 3,690
Samsung 5700

But I think I found a solution. I have an android gbox mini drive that was put away. A streamer like android Apple-type streamer drive. I downloaded the vlc mp3 decoder. Plugged in a flash...bingo, jackpot I'm on board. Still need to 're rip files however cause I used Windows media lossless and they are huge.

Is the reason flac is popular because the data size per song is a lot lower but still high quality. My rips now arefreaking huge..like 40 mb a song!!
What's flac average size?

And can someone recommend me some flac ripping software. Is there an app from the Google store or something?

*Edit* Android gbox has hdmi to tv, but it down streams the audio according to specs.

Suggestions for blu Ray player that supports usb lossless formats like flac?

Thanks.
Cheers!!

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #479 of 3,690
Tube Enthusiast, come at me!

I've read around and supposedly 7DJ8's is an alternative replacement to the 6DJ8 / 6922. 

Will this tube play nicely with the Vali 2?

Open to feedback Tube guys!

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #480 of 3,690
  Tube Enthusiast, come at me!

I've read around and supposedly 7DJ8's is an alternative replacement to the 6DJ8 / 6922. 

Will this tube play nicely with the Vali 2?

Open to feedback Tube guys!

yes, it'll work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back