Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 12, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #586 of 3,702
Nice!  Is that a SYS?  If so, what do you use that for?

Thanks.

It is a SYS and it rocks! I use it in reverse as a switch between my headphone amps and my desktop speakers. I use audioquest hard splitters from one output to 2 headphone amps (magni 2 and vali 2) then the other output to my smsl sa-50 speaker amp.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #588 of 3,702
Should get a Wyrd too so you'll be five high.

That would be funny. I don't use USB for the modi, and my motherboard doesn't have noisy outputs anyway. I use toslink.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #589 of 3,702
  I have the 4th generation iPod Nano - I use Pure i-20 to send Toslink and COAX output from my iPod into my Gungnir DAC.
Sorry, I missed your first posts. What generation - or better, you can check with Pure to see if something like it will work. I believe it was Schiit who sent me to the Pure website.

Yep, I have read that you can do that with the earlier gen iPods. I have the 7th gen Nano and the Lightning connector. I don't think I can get a digital out from the Lightning / USB connector where you could from the old 20 pin connector. If there is an option for a standalone DAC, I haven't figured it out or found a reasonable work around.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #590 of 3,702

My updated Schiit stack, now with extra stackyness.

I don't have a Stack a... I've got a Line a Schiit!
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #591 of 3,702

Vali 2 and Bifrost DAC... stock tube. Running HE-400s and HD-650's headphones. Rolled a JJ gold pin and first impressions is sounds a bit muddy, but like to give this tube some allot more time to comment. Put back the stock... and like i thought the Schiit peeps would not give us sublime.

Put my IEMs through the mix, Westone 4R, Shure 535 SE on low gain... ****... wow...

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #592 of 3,702

Vali 2 and Bifrost DAC... stock tube. Running HE-400s and HD-650's headphones. Rolled a JJ gold pin and first impressions is sounds a bit muddy, but like to give this tube some allot more time to comment. Put back the stock... and like i thought the Schiit peeps would not give us sublime.

Put my IEMs through the mix, Westone 4R, Shure 535 SE on low gain... ****... wow...

JJs can be a lot "warmer".  I loved the stock tube.  I just got an Electro Harmonix 6CG7 burned in for the last several days and I absolutely love it.  It sounds more natural than the stock tube.  Microdynamics seem way way better.  I guess longer plates are better after all.  I have a NOS Jan Philips 6922 burning in now.  It is somehow even quieter but with more forward mids (still not burned in all the way).  

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #593 of 3,702
I am using HD650's with my Vali2. My source is an X5ii (line out). The X5ii DAC doesn't sound too bad but I'm thinking about getting a dedicated DAC for the Vali2. My initial thought was a Modi2U. But then perhaps a Bifrost? Or would that be over kill?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #594 of 3,702
I use the modi 2 Uber with my vali 2. In my opinion it sounds incredible, however I have never heard anything more expensive than the modi 2U.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #595 of 3,702
I am using HD650's with my Vali2. My source is an X5ii (line out). The X5ii DAC doesn't sound too bad but I'm thinking about getting a dedicated DAC for the Vali2. My initial thought was a Modi2U. But then perhaps a Bifrost? Or would that be over kill?

I, along with many others, use a Bifrost multibit with my Vali 2.  It sounds fantastic.  It's not overkill at all.  I use the DAC with a few other amps and it just makes things sound incredibly natural.  The digital filter and nature of the implementation give much better time domain accuracy so position information, soundstage and the overall timbre of vocals and instruments sounds more real.

Edit - That being said, the modi2u is a fantastic value and performs quite well.  If you have the coin though, think about upgrading to Bifrost MB.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #596 of 3,702

It's absolutely not overkill. The 650 will scale well beyond even the Bimby.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #597 of 3,702
It is a SYS and it rocks! I use it in reverse as a bswitch between my headphone amps and my desktop speakers. I use audioquest hard splitters from one output to 2 headphone amps (magni 2 and vali 2) then the other output to my smsl sa-50 speaker amp.

I thought the SYS only had one output. How do you use it in reverse?

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #598 of 3,702
It is a SYS and it rocks! I use it in reverse as a bswitch between my headphone amps and my desktop speakers. I use audioquest hard splitters from one output to 2 headphone amps (magni 2 and vali 2) then the other output to my smsl sa-50 speaker amp.

I thought the SYS only had one output. How do you use it in reverse?

Its passive, so you can use the output as an input and then the inputs as outs and it works just fine as long as the SYS volume knob is at max.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #600 of 3,702
Its passive, so you can use the output as an input and then the inputs as outs and it works just fine as long as the SYS volume knob is at max.

thanks for tine info/knowledge.  guess  i will be ordering one friday!  i have too many amps (home system/bottlehead crack/asgard 2) and only one dac (bifrost mb).  using an old niles tape deck switching device.  has no volumes just switches, but i get a lot of bleed through from it.  if my home system is on i can hear sound from them even though i am switched to one of the headphone amps.  i was using Y cables and remembered i had the switch box and decided to give it a try.  from what i have read the SYS is quiet so hoping there is no bleed through to the next output.

i use my vali 2 with a modi...sounds great with the stock tube.  i thought i saw on the thread a list of the stock tubes schiit is sending with the vali 2.  mine is a packard bell.  plan on rolling down the road but am very pleased with the sound of the stock tube

tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back