Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 10, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #571 of 3,702
The vali 2 sounds so good it makes you want to skip work and listen all day.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #572 of 3,702

It pairs best with the best DAC that you can afford. 
smile.gif

Primarily, it's way more versatile in what headphones it'll work well with. I think you answered your own question though.

Yeaper, that sounds about right

I've spent a couple of weeks with the Vali 2 an the Starlight. I'm going to buy the Starlight as I wasn't hugely impressed with the Vali 2, though given the price differance between the two an the increased power output on the Vali  2 I'd say it's the 'better" value for your first tube amp! 

still though, I had a chance to source it from my Bernhinger UAC 202 [$30 dac] an I enjoyed it there as much as I did with my NFB2ES10s output 

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #573 of 3,702
  I didn't use an iPod, I used a Pono in line out mode, but I can tell you that the HE-400S is a truly terrific match with the Vali 2. Addictive is the word I'd use for the combination.

Thanks, Merrick!

I have been following your posts and impressions on the HE400S and it was you that got me heading down (or at least peeking into) this Vali 2 rabbit hole..........

At $169 and lots of tube rolling options, I may have to give the Vali 2 a try with the HE400S!
I may start w/o a standalone DAC and see how it compares to using just the iPod alone and then the iPod + Vali 2.

The Garage 1217 offerings look interesting as well, but I know me, and I'd be constantly doing upgrades, opamp swaps, and tube rolling like crazy!

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #574 of 3,702
Thanks, Merrick!

I have been following your posts and impressions on the HE400S and it was you that got me heading down (or at least peeking into) this Vali 2 rabbit hole..........

At $169 and lots of tube rolling options, I may have to give the Vali 2 a try with the HE400S!
I may start w/o a standalone DAC and see how it compares to using just the iPod alone and then the iPod + Vali 2.

The Garage 1217 offerings look interesting as well, but I know me, and I'd be constantly doing upgrades, opamp swaps, and tube rolling like crazy!

My pleasure, happy to help! I will say that despite having balanced cables for my 400S, I prefer listening to them through the Vali vs balanced on the GOV2 by my itself or balanced through my Pono. It really benefits from the additional amplification. Without the Vali 2, I prefer my Grado 225e. With the Vali 2, the qualities of the 400S really shine. IMO of course.

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #575 of 3,702
Thanks, Merrick!

Yeah, tube amps intimidate me a bit. I opted for a Garage 1217 Project Polaris for that very reason. I wanted to jump up and wasn't sure if Vali 2 would be a significant enough upgrade from my original Magni and I couldn't quite afford (at the time) the jump to Lyr 2 (plus, it's a tube hybrid) or Mjolnir.

That said, I JUST ordered a Bifrost Multibit to replace my HRT MusicStreamer II+.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #577 of 3,702

I may start w/o a standalone DAC and see how it compares to using just the iPod alone and then the iPod + Vali 2

DOAH!!!!!!!!

I wasn't thinking about not having a digital out on the iPod Nano to use a standalone DAC............... so I'll be using the Vali 2 amp alone!

I put my order in today and will look at all my existing stock of 6DJ8, 6922, 7308 tubes and test the 2 sections to be sure they are close.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #578 of 3,702
My updated Schiit stack, now with extra stackyness.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #580 of 3,702
I have been experimenting with my Vali2 and various headphones for a week now. A few days ago I connected my FiiO X5ii's line out to the Vali. The HD650'S sounded very nice indeed. Today I moved the X5ii/Vali2/HD650 to my main system. This time coaxial out from X5ii into Bifrost 4490. Holy cow! Massive improvement.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #582 of 3,702
My Vali 2 arrived today. Unfortunatly, there's a short or something and with the volume knob all the way down it is full blast. I can torque the knob a bit to get it to work, but touching the knob to turn up or down it goes full volume. Bad knob or solder job. Obviously this was not tested at all.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #583 of 3,702
My Vali 2 arrived today. Unfortunatly, there's a short or something and with the volume knob all the way down it is full blast. I can torque the knob a bit to get it to work, but touching the knob to turn up or down it goes full volume. Bad knob or solder job. Obviously this was not tested at all.

Clearly it's time to order a Modi2Uber...
smily_headphones1.gif

After reading a bit and emailing Schiit, I don't think I can put a DAC in the chain using the iPod Nano. I can add a DAC to my main system, but the Vali 2 is for the 400S / iPod!

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #584 of 3,702

After reading a bit and emailing Schiit, I don't think I can put a DAC in the chain using the iPod Nano. I can add a DAC to my main system, but the Vali 2 is for the 400S / iPod!

I have the 4th generation iPod Nano - I use Pure i-20 to send Toslink and COAX output from my iPod into my Gungnir DAC.
Sorry, I missed your first posts. What generation - or better, you can check with Pure to see if something like it will work. I believe it was Schiit who sent me to the Pure website.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #585 of 3,702

That is unfortunate indeed.  Sorry to hear that.  I know they are tested before shipment, probably more than once.  They'll make it right, it'll just cost you some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back