Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #2,686 of 3,690
Have many people tried 6N1P tubes in the Vali 2? Some websites list them as interchangeable with 6BZ7 or 6DJ8:
"Except for higher heater-current consumption, it is a direct plug-in replacement for the 6DJ8, ECC88 or 6922 in most high-level audio applications." - Svetlana 6N1P Specification

Schiit said on another forum that the current is (but barely) within the specs of the Vali, but they hadn't tried it or know what it would sound like. I'm curious how doubling the heater current would affect the amp long term.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #2,687 of 3,690
Have many people tried 6N1P tubes in the Vali 2? Some websites list them as interchangeable with 6BZ7 or 6DJ8:
"Except for higher heater-current consumption, it is a direct plug-in replacement for the 6DJ8, ECC88 or 6922 in most high-level audio applications." - Svetlana 6N1P Specification

Schiit said on another forum that the current is (but barely) within the specs of the Vali, but they hadn't tried it or know what it would sound like. I'm curious how doubling the heater current would affect the amp long term.

People have been doubling the heater current in their Vali's for quite some time by plugging in 6SN7's. Haven't seen any issues reported...

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #2,688 of 3,690
People have been doubling the heater current in their Vali's for quite some time by plugging in 6SN7's. Haven't seen any issues reported...
I've tried it. My Valhalla tubes will fit into the Vali. Ideal? Meh. I'll stick with 6SN7 and adaptors.

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,689 of 3,690

The 6sn7 are still in the spec range for the heater current the Vali2 can crank out - have yet to see what'd happen if some one plugs in a stupid high current tube - like a proper cv181.
Actually, it's kind of surprising that the cheapest Schiit is probably one of the most diverse for tube rolling variants.

For the record, my Vali2 (and my ears) has been chugging along quite happily using ecc40s

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2,690 of 3,690
The 6sn7 are still in the spec range for the heater current the Vali2 can crank out - have yet to see what'd happen if some one plugs in a stupid high current tube - like a proper cv181.
Actually, it's kind of surprising that the cheapest Schiit is probably one of the most diverse for tube rolling variants.

For the record, my Vali2 (and my ears) has been chugging along quite happily using ecc40s

Ever tried an ECC84? I have a Valvo here that is very nice in some areas but falls flat (really flat) in a couple others. Valvo's of several different types have never been one of my personal favorites, so I don't know if it's the brand or the type. Have some Telefunkens incoming and it'll be interesting to see how they do.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,691 of 3,690
Ever tried an ECC84? I have a Valvo here that is very nice in some areas but falls flat (really flat) in a couple others. Valvo's of several different types have never been one of my personal favorites, so I don't know if it's the brand or the type. Have some Telefunkens incoming and it'll be interesting to see how they do.

I don't think I've even heard of an ECC84. I do have a Tele ECC189. Sounds good when it's not being temperamental - seems the variable mu trips the Vali2 up. Works good in my Little Bear tho…

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,692 of 3,690
I don't think I've even heard of an ECC84. I do have a Tele ECC189. Sounds good when it's not being temperamental - seems the variable mu trips the Vali2 up. Works good in my Little Bear tho…

It's a bit funky, especially with the pinout. Ratings are compatible though. The Valvo has a really gorgeous midrange, but the bass is weirded out. Perhaps the Tele will be better, or perhaps this tube type just isn't meant to be with the Vali. Couldn't resist trying it as they're cheap, and good ol' Xuling even has an adapter for it on Ebay.

upload_2020-1-20_21-23-0.png

upload_2020-1-20_21-24-22.png

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,695 of 3,690
Hey everyone! I've been reading a lot of this thread. I got my Vali 2 yesterday. I have a Magni 3 as well. I bought both from Schiit's B stock / discontinued stuff. Actually got a Fulla 2 from there as well. I couldn't pass up the Vail 2 for $99.
Anyways..... Did a quick listen last night to each. From a very quick initial listen I like the Vali better although it does have more treble than I'd like. And interestingly the Vali 2 goes louder than the Magni 3. Not much but definitely noticeable. I emailed Schiit to ask about it since the Magni 3 has more power in the specs.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,696 of 3,690
Hey everyone! I've been reading a lot of this thread. I got my Vali 2 yesterday. I have a Magni 3 as well. I bought both from Schiit's B stock / discontinued stuff. Actually got a Fulla 2 from there as well. I couldn't pass up the Vail 2 for $99.
Anyways..... Did a quick listen last night to each. From a very quick initial listen I like the Vali better although it does have more treble than I'd like. And interestingly the Vali 2 goes louder than the Magni 3. Not much but definitely noticeable. I emailed Schiit to ask about it since the Magni 3 has more power in the specs.

Congrats on your purchase! The Vali 2 is a nice amp although I don't find it very tubey at all. It sounds to me like a very nice SS amp. Which is a little disappointing to me as I have several nice SS amps.

Do you prefer the sound over the Magni?

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,697 of 3,690
So far I do like the Vali better. There is something different about it than the Magni. But I'm waiting a while until I do a lot more listening before I can really nail down specifics. Yeah, with just one tube I'm not expecting a huge tube factor experience. But that's cool. For $100 it's fun to play with. I also ordered some tubes that people seem to like.
I'm really surprised that the Vali had a higher total volume output than the Magni. I'm still waiting for a reply from Schiit. I don't think there's any issue with my Magni. I listened through Sennheiser 58X & 6XX... Also tried my AKG 7XX which have been on the shelf for a while. I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (80 ohm) that I haven't tried yet. I'm not a fan of too much treble so I tend to default to my Sennheisers.

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #2,698 of 3,690
Alright! I did some A/B testing.
Signal chain was this: uncompressed files on macbook -> Fulla 2 -> SYS -> Vali 2 / Magni 3 -> Mackie Mixer -> Sennheiser 58X & 6XX
Stock tube.
I used the headphone outs on both and with the SYS I could immediately switch back & forth.
I spent some time matching volumes. I also tried them with the Magni louder so I wouldn't be volume biased (since I liked the Vali better)
I listened to Nine Inch Nails (always my go-to for testing), random rock songs, Bach Cello Suite 3 performed by Richard Tunnicliffe, & Brahms Symphony 1
I won't make any claims about my ears but I do trust them and have two degrees in music.... so there's that :)

Winner: Vali 2
However they are close enough that I'd tell someone to just get whatever's on sale or fits their rig / preference. They're both great and worth worrying about which one to get.

The Vali sounded clearer with a touch more bass. There was some more clarity in the higher frequencies. Subtle.
It's like the Magni has a flat and neutral frequency response... But with the Vali it's like someone just turned up the "clarity knob".... or to be more specific just decreased a frequency somewhere in the 175 - 250 region and then just turned the treble up one notch.

If I wasn't going right back and forth I probably wouldn't notice. Both sound great.

The Vali 2 has slightly more gain - and Schiit confirmed this. Vali goes louder. I was surprised. Of course both go more than loud enough.

Anyways... just my thoughts... Haven't spent that long with them...I have some tubes on the way so right now I don't have any tube comparisons.

Feb 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #2,699 of 3,690
Alright! I did some A/B testing.
Signal chain was this: uncompressed files on macbook -> Fulla 2 -> SYS -> Vali 2 / Magni 3 -> Mackie Mixer -> Sennheiser 58X & 6XX
Stock tube.
I used the headphone outs on both and with the SYS I could immediately switch back & forth.
I spent some time matching volumes. I also tried them with the Magni louder so I wouldn't be volume biased (since I liked the Vali better)
I listened to Nine Inch Nails (always my go-to for testing), random rock songs, Bach Cello Suite 3 performed by Richard Tunnicliffe, & Brahms Symphony 1
I won't make any claims about my ears but I do trust them and have two degrees in music.... so there's that :)

Winner: Vali 2
However they are close enough that I'd tell someone to just get whatever's on sale or fits their rig / preference. They're both great and worth worrying about which one to get.

The Vali sounded clearer with a touch more bass. There was some more clarity in the higher frequencies. Subtle.
It's like the Magni has a flat and neutral frequency response... But with the Vali it's like someone just turned up the "clarity knob".... or to be more specific just decreased a frequency somewhere in the 175 - 250 region and then just turned the treble up one notch.

If I wasn't going right back and forth I probably wouldn't notice. Both sound great.

The Vali 2 has slightly more gain - and Schiit confirmed this. Vali goes louder. I was surprised. Of course both go more than loud enough.

Anyways... just my thoughts... Haven't spent that long with them...I have some tubes on the way so right now I don't have any tube comparisons.
Wait till you try the other tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back