Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,652 of 3,690
Anyone using HD6XX or 650s with the Vali 2? I'm just curious how the Vali 2 handles these. I'm using Grado SR80is right now with mine and the brightness is just killing my ears.

I find the HD650 is a bit too laid back sounding with my Vali2 and Mimby. I recently moved the V2 to my turntable setup and it sounds much better there with the 650's.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,653 of 3,690
Anyone using HD6XX or 650s with the Vali 2? I'm just curious how the Vali 2 handles these. I'm using Grado SR80is right now with mine and the brightness is just killing my ears.

I have the sr125i, which somehow shares the same Grado sound signature with the smaller siblings, and I found them in good synergy with the Vali2.
But my final suggestion is to try it yourself before purchasing.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,654 of 3,690
I find the HD650 is a bit too laid back sounding with my Vali2 and Mimby. I recently moved the V2 to my turntable setup and it sounds much better there with the 650's.

Try a brighter and detailed tube.  I found the Reflector 6N3P E with adapter or 6N23P to address the "Laid Back".  German tubes are good also.

However, right now I have a 6SN7GT installed and the synergy with my Grado SR 325e is wonderful.

YMMV,
r2

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,656 of 3,690
I have the sr125i, which somehow shares the same Grado sound signature with the smaller siblings, and I found them in good synergy with the Vali2.

But my final suggestion is to try it yourself before purchasing.

See my above.

r2

Yes, I agree completely on the fact that a good 6SN7 can smoother the harshness without losing the details.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #1,657 of 3,690
Try a brighter and detailed tube.  I found the Reflector 6N3P E with adapter or 6N23P to address the "Laid Back".  German tubes are good also.

However, right now I have a 6SN7GT installed and the synergy with my Grado SR 325e is wonderful.

YMMV,
r2

I have rolled a few other tubes, mostly out of curiosity but I found that switching to other headphones with a bit brighter nature gave me the synergy I was looking for.

Nov 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #1,658 of 3,690
I have rolled a few other tubes, mostly out of curiosity but I found that switching to other headphones with a bit brighter nature gave me the synergy I was looking for.

Yes.  For me Grado and Beyer.

I am actually using the HD 650 balanced out of a Mjolnir 2 with Reflectors installed.  A different level with the HD650.

r2

PS Trying 396A Western Electric - NOS - 1976 in the Mjolnir 2, first blush with the HD 650 is promising :)

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #1,659 of 3,690

New home for my Vali2, with HD650.  Using the EH6922 I'm getting sufficient clarity and detail, as well as, nice bass depth.  Fun listening to vinyl of yester year via tube goodness.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,660 of 3,690
Anyone else find channel imbalance at low volume?  The pot used on mine SUCKS.  I've never heard imbalance this bad on anything.

Led is bright as the sun and leaks out through big gap left by volume knob too.

It sounds good at normal volume though, and I'm pretty happy overall, but for those saying it's perfect, I call BS.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #1,661 of 3,690
Greetings fellow Head-fiers!

I guess I'm about to get stoned but I risk to ask you anyway: is the Vali 2 a good choice as my first quality amp if I'm going to use it not only for music but gaming as well? (I have a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone.)

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,662 of 3,690
Greetings fellow Head-fiers!

I guess I'm about to get stoned but I risk to ask you anyway: is the Vali 2 a good choice as my first quality amp if I'm going to use it not only for music but gaming as well? (I have a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone.)

I used the Vali 2 with a modi 2 Uber, then a modi multibit feeding my HD650s for gaming. It was good but not great for the types of games I play. I play very serious competitive FPS games (arma 3 breaking point, arma 3 Sa-matra wasteland, etc.) so audio quality is very important to me. I must have good positioning, accuracy and spaciousness in the audio to hear enemies sneaking up on me. If you die in breaking point on a 270 square km map it can take an hour or more to get back to your friends.

I prefer solid state for gaming. My latest amp Jotunheim blows the Vali 2 out of the water for gaming with my balanced HD650s. However, the Vali 2 is no slouch. Compared to onboard audio it is a fantastic upgrade. For a first amp it is a wonderfully diverse option. If you can find the right tube to get the clarity and spaciousness needed for competitive FPS, it will serve you very well. I still have mine, waiting for when I build a vinyl setup.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,663 of 3,690
  Anyone else find channel imbalance at low volume?  The pot used on mine SUCKS...

It sounds good at normal volume though...

My Vali 2 pot is pretty good even at low volumes.

I remember my old Magni had a pretty unbalanced pot, I couldn't listen very low at all before one side cut off, the Magni 2U was better but my Vali 2 has the most balanced pot I've tried at low volumes.

I would email Schiit, they'll probably be willing to do a swap since most people don't experience imbalance.

Nov 10, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,664 of 3,690
I used the Vali 2 with a modi 2 Uber, then a modi multibit feeding my HD650s for gaming. It was good but not great for the types of games I play. I play very serious competitive FPS games (arma 3 breaking point, arma 3 Sa-matra wasteland, etc.) so audio quality is very important to me. I must have good positioning, accuracy and spaciousness in the audio to hear enemies sneaking up on me. If you die in breaking point on a 270 square km map it can take an hour or more to get back to your friends.

I prefer solid state for gaming. My latest amp Jotunheim blows the Vali 2 out of the water for gaming with my balanced HD650s. However, the Vali 2 is no slouch. Compared to onboard audio it is a fantastic upgrade. For a first amp it is a wonderfully diverse option. If you can find the right tube to get the clarity and spaciousness needed for competitive FPS, it will serve you very well. I still have mine, waiting for when I build a vinyl setup.

Thank you for the information. Vali 2 it is then (and Jotunheim will join the gang later 
beyersmile.png
 )

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,665 of 3,690
@Letmebefrank
Thanks for the feedback between the Jotunheim and the Vali 2.  I would prefer not to get into the habit of tube rolling, then fall into that rabbit hole. I am starting to lean towards just picking the Jotunheim straight away since I would also be gaming on my PC in addition to listening to FLACs, etc. The dragonfly black 1.5 DAC has been great right out of the USB port, but I would love to add some volume control to the equation as I currently have to set my master sound volume to only 2 or 3 when using the DAC connected to my Senn 558s or 64 audio SE4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back