*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,312 of 2,577
Gain is the multiplication of voltage.
Higher gain requires more wattage because the resulting output voltage will be higher and as such the amp would also hit its max output faster and start clipping sooner.
So yes if you have a high gain bass boost it will require more power than not having one and bass is the most power consuming of frequencies due to the larger amount of travel required by the drivers (atleast for dynamic).

Gain does not require wattage as it's value is independent of wattage. Clipping is another thing altogether. For example, one can clip with less gain depending on the signal and the load. Whether one requires more or less power for any particular application, one Watt is still one Watt.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,313 of 2,577
Gain is the multiplication of voltage.
Higher gain requires more wattage because the resulting output voltage will be higher and as such the amp would also hit its max output faster and start clipping sooner.
So yes if you have a high gain bass boost it will require more power than not having one and bass is the most power consuming of frequencies due to the larger amount of travel required by the drivers (atleast for dynamic).

I used to think so too, but the guys over in the HD 650 thread set me straight.  Apparently, when it comes to most dynamic headphones, bass frequencies do not require more power to reproduce than other frequencies.  The posts start here if you're interested.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/37305#post_13163329

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2,314 of 2,577
ok i'm mildly concerned...

my modi 2 uber is quite warm to the touch

i've heard the magni gets warm but no mention of the modi

i can't think of any reason for a dac to heat up and it's just sitting on my desk next to my amp (which is not a magni) in a room with a rather cool ambient temp

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,315 of 2,577
What does "quite warm" really mean?

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,316 of 2,577
as in 90F while the desk surface next to it is 72F and the surface of my amp is measuring 76F

keep in mind... DAC not amp... DAC shouldn't be generating enough heat to warm the casing like this

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,317 of 2,577
90F? So it feels cool to the touch? My Modi Multibit was always warm to the touch...warmer than 98.6F. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is hot to the touch.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,318 of 2,577
Since today I'm testing my new Modi 2 (non Uber) and Magni 2 Uber.
The Modi 2 is almost cold, but the Magni 2 Uber is really warm (I guess more than 30°), even If I'm not listening to the music.

I plugged in the Magni 2 U out, my Logitech Z-2300 and I was wondering if II can leave the Magni 2 powered on for 24/24 hours, with 12 hours of pre-amp using and 12 hours of "sleep".

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,319 of 2,577
  I used to think so too, but the guys over in the HD 650 thread set me straight.  Apparently, when it comes to most dynamic headphones, bass frequencies do not require more power to reproduce than other frequencies.  The posts start here if you're interested.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/37305#post_13163329

It might be because the drivers are so small that the wattage difference in negligible.

Gain does not require wattage as it's value is independent of wattage. Clipping is another thing altogether. For example, one can clip with less gain depending on the signal and the load. Whether one requires more or less power for any particular application, one Watt is still one Watt.

Since it multiplies you will run out of power faster in the same scenarios.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,320 of 2,577
ok i'm mildly concerned...

my modi 2 uber is quite warm to the touch

i've heard the magni gets warm but no mention of the modi

i can't think of any reason for a dac to heat up and it's just sitting on my desk next to my amp (which is not a magni) in a room with a rather cool ambient temp

I wouldn't be concerned. My Modi 2U does the same thing. It gets about half as hot as the Magni 2U next to it, but it does get hot. This is normal for electronics, and I never thought twice about it before.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #2,321 of 2,577
Can someone send me/post a screenshot of the MODI 2 settings properties?

Playback Devices > MODI 2 properties > Levels/Enchantments tabs

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #2,322 of 2,577
Can someone send me/post a screenshot of the MODI 2 settings properties?

Playback Devices > MODI 2 properties > Levels/Enchantments tabs

now as you can see mine is the uber... and i don't use it as my default audio device... foobar is set to use it, windows is set to use my onboard sound... part of why i got the uber is for the added inputs as i can run my speakers from the onboard and also run stereo downmix through spdif to the modi so i can still use my headphones with things like youtube without fiddling with switching audio devices on the pc

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2,323 of 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD 

Since it multiplies you will run out of power faster in the same scenarios.

You run out of power when the Amp can not supply enough power, based upon the sensitivity/efficiency of the headphones. If you mean faster based upon the position of the volume knob, I don't see how that matters unless it's at the bottom and you have channel imbalance due to the potentiometer.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,324 of 2,577
You run out of power when the Amp can not supply enough power, based upon the sensitivity/efficiency of the headphones. If you mean faster based upon the position of the volume knob, I don't see how that matters unless it's at the bottom and you have channel imbalance due to the potentiometer.

Yes faster based on the position of the volume POT.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,325 of 2,577
Yes faster based on the position of the volume POT.

So unless you are at or near the bottom of the pot and experiencing channel imbalance or can't get the volume adjustment that you want, why would it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back