*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #2,266 of 2,577
I have had the Magni 2 Uber for three weeks now, and I have to say I really like this little amp a lot. Best 179 bucks I have ever spent on audio equipment. I'm using it with a SMSL 6th generation dac and the two work really good together. But I'm so impressed with the Magni2 Uber I am considering getting the Modi 2 Uber dac.,  just to see how much of an improvement it would be over my current setup.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #2,267 of 2,577
Hello, i just ordered the shiit stack uber versions. Can someone please tell me what is the distance between RCA connections of the modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber (from center of the RCA connection) when they are stacked and the magni has the original rubber pads installed and is above the modi. Like in this image:

http://i.imgur.com/tGXNDsN.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #2,268 of 2,577
  Hello, i just ordered the shiit stack uber versions. Can someone please tell me what is the distance between RCA connections of the modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber (from center of the RCA connection) when they are stacked and the magni has the original rubber pads installed and is above the modi. Like in this image:

http://i.imgur.com/tGXNDsN.jpg

Thanks in advance !

1.5" center-to-center. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,269 of 2,577
I finally started making use of my Magni 2 Uber Pre-Outs when I got home from work today. I ran the Pre-Outs to my home theater receiver.

My DAC is a Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface).. planning on moving on to the Modi 2 as my DAC as I do less and less vocal recordings these days.

Is a Pre-Amp supposed to clean up the sound that's passed through from a DAC to a Receiver because I feel like the sound is cleaned up and sounds more detailed. I can't tell if this is just placebo or not. I honestly wasn't expecting to hear any difference, just wanted my volume control for my Klipsch RP-150M passive bookshelf speakers to be via my Magni 2 Uber (which works great by the way). When I perceived a sound difference a grin crept across my face.

Am I insane?

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #2,270 of 2,577
  I finally started making use of my Magni 2 Uber Pre-Outs when I got home from work today. I ran the Pre-Outs to my home theater receiver.

My DAC is a Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface).. planning on moving on to the Modi 2 as my DAC as I do less and less vocal recordings these days.

Is a Pre-Amp supposed to clean up the sound that's passed through from a DAC to a Receiver because I feel like the sound is cleaned up and sounds more detailed. I can't tell if this is just placebo or not. I honestly wasn't expecting to hear any difference, just wanted my volume control for my Klipsch RP-150M passive bookshelf speakers to be via my Magni 2 Uber (which works great by the way). When I perceived a sound difference a grin crept across my face.

Am I insane?

Interesting. Were you running the 2i2 line outs to your home theater before, and now you run them from the 2i2 through the Magni first? The 2i2 is a top-selling USB audio interface, but clearly the Magni is doing something extra for you.

A preamp boosts the signal to a level where noise and distortion are not a problem and the amplifier can do its job. Maybe the Magni just has a stronger preamp, but maybe the 2i2 is trying to do too much in one box. Jason Stoddard takes great pride in designing clean circuits with discrete components. I suspect the 2i2 relies on chips produced by others, in a circuit that is laid out very very differently.

The line out signals from these two boxes might tell a very interesting story on an analyzer, but in the end its your ears that get to vote. Please let us know if you do more A/B comparisons. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,271 of 2,577
I actually never ran my Scarlett 2i2 outs in to my receiver before. I used to have active speakers so that's when I was making use of the outs on the 2i2.

I now use the outs of my 2i2 to connect my Magni 2 Uber (noticed the bass clean up right way with the new headphone amp.. even though the 2i2 headphone amp is completely acceptable and ran my T50RP mk3's just fine I just felt like a more discrete option.

I'll check out how the speakers sound with the 2i2 running to the receiver and see if there's a perceptible difference compared to the Magni 2 Uber Pre's.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #2,272 of 2,577
  I actually never ran my Scarlett 2i2 outs in to my receiver before. I used to have active speakers so that's when I was making use of the outs on the 2i2.

I now use the outs of my 2i2 to connect my Magni 2 Uber (noticed the bass clean up right way with the new headphone amp.. even though the 2i2 headphone amp is completely acceptable and ran my T50RP mk3's just fine I just felt like a more discrete option.

I'll check out how the speakers sound with the 2i2 running to the receiver and see if there's a perceptible difference compared to the Magni 2 Uber Pre's.

Be careful to match volumes and switch between the setups quickly to get a good comparison.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,273 of 2,577

Be careful to match volumes and switch between the setups quickly to get a good comparison.

Indeed. That's always the tricky part with A/B comparisons.. as louder is usually perceived as 'better' unless there's some sort of distortion.. and I don't know about you guys but my memory is a bit short when it comes to audio..Unless that's just regular human nature.. my memory is pretty great when it comes to other things. I'll try my best to switch as quick as possible!

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,274 of 2,577
For me, it's more about being familiar with the source material and being able to differentiate between the minutiae of the presentation within the gear, rather than about speed of switching between set ups to hear the differences.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,275 of 2,577
  Indeed. That's always the tricky part with A/B comparisons.. as louder is usually perceived as 'better' unless there's some sort of distortion.. and I don't know about you guys but my memory is a bit short when it comes to audio..Unless that's just regular human nature.. my memory is pretty great when it comes to other things. I'll try my best to switch as quick as possible!

Yeah we're only human. To me if it sounds great, I'm pretty happy because I know when something is wrong and no longer get into spending too much time comparing stuff and would rather spend more time enjoying listening to music.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,276 of 2,577
  For me, it's more about being familiar with the source material and being able to differentiate between the minutiae of the presentation within the gear, rather than about speed of switching between set ups to hear the differences.

Then you might fall into the trap of Echoic memory limits. I'd say, if you like what you hear, then enjoy it. Then again, each to their own.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #2,277 of 2,577
Is anyone here running the Modi 2 (Uber) with the Magni 2 (Non uber)?

I am thinking about buying this setup, and only shelling out the extra 50$ for the Modi 2 because of the optical feature.

Yes, I use a Modi 2 Uber with a magni 2 non Uber without any issues. The reason I do this is to avoid the USB noise in my computer. My headphone are efficient so I didn't need the extra power of the magni Uber

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #2,278 of 2,577
I'm using the Magni 2 Uber for the Pre Outs so I can control the volume going to a power amp with it. The better chassis is nice too. Controlling my passive speakers with the Magni 2 Uber volume knob just feels good.. I love the pot on it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,279 of 2,577
I'm using the Magni 2 Uber for the Pre Outs so I can control the volume going to a power amp with it. The better chassis is nice too. Controlling my passive speakers with the Magni 2 Uber volume knob just feels good.. I love the pot on it.

Got to buy a box of 'em. What would I do with a box of pots? Don't answer that.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #2,280 of 2,577
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back