*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Apr 22, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,756 of 2,577
  Thanks. Really helpful. I clearly ought to do a bit more browsing.

It's not actually for desktop use. I want the rig to sit by my bed for late night listening. Really want to be able to plug my phone in and go (and want to be able to use same phone on the go during the day with iems).

On that last point, good to know that you think the headphone out isn't actually too bad. I assumed the internal DAC was not very good in the Moto G from reading various posts. Should I just stick with the FiiO E12 that I already have? 

I don't wish to dim your desire to run your phone through a good dac and amp, but I just finished some testing.  

Running Onkyo HF player on Moto G via hp out into polaris amp and then Senn 650s.  Not too bad, certainly listenable but looses soundstage width and depth compared to my bedside setup.  Highs are still not as extended nor is bass.  

Running Onkyo  HF player on moto G with OTG cable inito Bryston usb/spdif bridge into Havana dac inot Polaris- A bit better highs but space and depth as well as slam seem to be surpresed. At least the 44k sample was output at the correct rate not Androidized to 48k.

HP Laptop (lots of stuff turned off) - Foobar 2000 - USB out, Bryston Bridge, Havana dac, Polaris amp - Senn 650s have loads of depth, slam, detail, blackness.  It is not subtle at the same volume level.  Just a lot better.  Conclusion for me, phones might not be all that great as a source for a very good desktop experience with revealing cans like the Senn 600 or 650.  I am sure UAPP will perform better, I have used it in the past, but not sure if it, alone, can make up the SQ gap.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #1,757 of 2,577
I agree that any more than 24bit isn't really necessary as long as you also play decently mastered songs. I also agree that DAC upgrades more than 300$ is not that worth it. 
Because I got to A/B test a modi uber 2 against a Chord Hugo TT/Chord Mojo/Schiit Gugnir multbit and heard very little to no difference at all. (flame me all you can but that is what I heard or maybe I just have bad ears or something)

However amps really affect and change the sound signature though. I'm saying this from experience because I owned the HD800 (Now upgraded to HD800S) and have a modi/magni uber stack.
It can drive it pretty good, and yes I can EQ it, but the sound is still very artificial sounding compared to a much more decent amp. It's really a huge difference, and you would enjoy more out of it.

If you still don't have a dac/amp combo then by all means go for the modi/magni uber, it's really good. You can even try and pair it with the HD800, nothing wrong with that. But you will be looking for at least an amp upgrade after you've listened to it quite a while. (HD800 + modi/magni was quite fatiguing for me, can't really enjoy it. It's impressive yes for all the sound it can produce, but its not that fun to listen to.)
This is an interesting answer. Would you say that the HD800S's more balanced signature still sounds too harsh with the magni2 uber?

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #1,758 of 2,577
This is an interesting answer. Would you say that the HD800S's more balanced signature still sounds too harsh with the magni2 uber?

The HD800S actually sounds good from the modi/magni uber stack. Really clean, great soundstage and no harsh sounds. Its actually as good as the SSD on the mjolnir when I compared it. Although the mjolnir was a tad bit warmer.
Haven't tried it with any other SSD amps though.

Some people like the sound of the HD800 with mods more than the HD800S, but I ain't ballsy enough to do a DIY mod on a 1500$ headphone. I still find the HD800 harsh with the magni/modi though not unless you EQ it ( still sounds too artificial despite the EQ if paired with the stack though). And this is coming from a guy who adores highs and trebles that may seem too sibilant and sharp to others. ( i like detail on my music).

Thats why I liked the 800S better. They have better bass response, warmer and the sharp highs were balanced out.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,759 of 2,577
I still find the HD800 harsh with the magni/modi though not unless you EQ it ( still sounds too artificial despite the EQ if paired with the stack though). And this is coming from a guy who adores highs and trebles that may seem too sibilant and sharp to others. ( i like detail on my music).

Damn... and here's me hoping that I could get away with using my M2/M2 stack.

Have any suggestions for options <$1k? I've only compared the Schiit stack to a Naim DAC-V1 (SS amp), not a huge difference imo

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,760 of 2,577

Damn... and here's me hoping that I could get away with using my M2/M2 stack.

Have any suggestions for options <$1k? I've only compared the Schiit stack to a Naim DAC-V1 (SS amp), not a huge difference imo

You still can get away with it, its not like it sounds really bad, its just that you won't enjoy it that much and you won't be getting the full potential out of your HD800. You can do some mods on it like others too.

Woo Audio WA6, Schiit Lyr/Mjolnir, Darkvoice, Burson HA-160, Violectric V100
(if you want the best bang for your buck, go for the lyr/mjolnir since they're a hybrid amp that have both SSD and tube.)

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #1,761 of 2,577
You still can get away with it, its not like it sounds really bad, its just that you won't enjoy it that much and you won't be getting the full potential out of your HD800. You can do some mods on it like others too.

(if you want the best bang for your buck, go for the lyr/mjolnir since they're a hybrid amp that have both SSD and tube.)
Then it seems to me, that the magni 2 uber/modi 2 uber combination is then essentially a fantastic mid tier solution after the HD800S remedied it's predecessor's disturbing frequency peak centered around the 6khz, since the HD800S variant is now decently paired to the combo.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #1,762 of 2,577

I read that you have a WA7 on the way. Have you received it yet by any chance? Really want to hear youe thoughts on the new 2nd gen version paired with the 800  

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,763 of 2,577

I read that you have a WA7 on the way. Have you received it yet by any chance? Really want to hear youe thoughts on the new 2nd gen version paired with the 800  

I'll receive it sometime next week, I have auditioned some headphones with it though in an audio store here. Listened to HD600/598, Hifiman HE560, Oppo PM3, and Fidelio x2. They didn't have the HD800 in that shop for me to pair it with though. It all sounded good, especially with naturally bright headphones. Soundstage is wider, arier, a tad bit warmer, stronger punch in the bass, mids/highs are more refined and detailed, and it's more natural sounding.

They all sounded good, it also sounded much better than the tube amp on the mjolnir 2(the reason which made my buy it), which was the one I was planning to buy (and it looks so freaking beautiful, just perfect on a desktop setting).
So now I'm planning to keep my Magni/Modi Uber stack as my SSD amp because its just almost as good as the SSD on mjolnir (the mjolnir has much more juice though) and have the Wa7 as my Tube amp. All small footprint amp/dacs since I don't want that much clutter in my desk.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,764 of 2,577
  I don't wish to dim your desire to run your phone through a good dac and amp, but I just finished some testing.  

Running Onkyo HF player on Moto G via hp out into polaris amp and then Senn 650s.  Not too bad, certainly listenable but looses soundstage width and depth compared to my bedside setup.  Highs are still not as extended nor is bass.  

Running Onkyo  HF player on moto G with OTG cable inito Bryston usb/spdif bridge into Havana dac inot Polaris- A bit better highs but space and depth as well as slam seem to be surpresed. At least the 44k sample was output at the correct rate not Androidized to 48k.

HP Laptop (lots of stuff turned off) - Foobar 2000 - USB out, Bryston Bridge, Havana dac, Polaris amp - Senn 650s have loads of depth, slam, detail, blackness.  It is not subtle at the same volume level.  Just a lot better.  Conclusion for me, phones might not be all that great as a source for a very good desktop experience with revealing cans like the Senn 600 or 650.  I am sure UAPP will perform better, I have used it in the past, but not sure if it, alone, can make up the SQ gap.

Thanks. Got me thinking about options and I remembered that I had a Wifi streaming device sitting unused in a cupboard (a QED uPlay stream - cheap but not too bad).

I've just set it up, with my E12 driving the HD600s and it sounds great streaming my lossless files from the NAS. Limits the phone's role to that of controller.

I've got a cheap android DAC (HifimeDIY) on the way too. When it arrives, I'll do so comparisons between the streamer and using UAPP with local files on the phone via the DAC.

But to be honest, I'm sure the streaming solution is the answer. It definitely sounds good and lets me access my whole library.

Thanks all for advice.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,765 of 2,577

Thanks. Got me thinking about options and I remembered that I had a Wifi streaming device sitting unused in a cupboard (a QED uPlay stream - cheap but not too bad).

I've just set it up, with my E12 driving the HD600s and it sounds great streaming my lossless files from the NAS. Limits the phone's role to that of controller.

I've got a cheap android DAC (HifimeDIY) on the way too. When it arrives, I'll do so comparisons between the streamer and using UAPP with local files on the phone via the DAC.

But to be honest, I'm sure the streaming solution is the answer. It definitely sounds good and lets me access my whole library.

Thanks all for advice.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Hifimediy, which one did you get?

Glad streaming is working so well.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,766 of 2,577
I've ordered the one one with the micro USB connector for android phones. I think it's coming from China so may take a couple of weeks. I'll post something when I receive it and have had a chance to do some comparisons.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #1,767 of 2,577
Just got my first amp, the magni 2 uber, and I think I am in love. I bought it off of Amazon for the free same day shipping and to burn some gift cards. Two minor issue though, and I'm not sure if I should bring it up with Schiit or not:
1) There is a small scratch, about 15 mm on the front of the unit. Now this is purely cosmetic, but if I was looking for something with imperfections I could have saved a few bucks and gotten b-stock. '
2) Two of the four sticky feet were loose in the packaging and will not stick to anything whatsoever. They just fall right off.
Again, outside of these minor cosmetic issues seems to be a pretty solid purchase so far :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back