*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 31, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #1,516 of 2,577
  So I decided to go for a Modi 2/Magni 2 stack.
I will be using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and I was debating Uber or not (Maybe just 1 Uber, the difference between the 2 aesthetics-wise won't bother me).
I don't need the extra inputs on the Modi 2 U and I don't need the pre-amp outputs on the Magni 2 U, is there any other reason for me to upgrade?
What would you do?

If you don't need any of the extra features, I would just go with a regular Modi/Magni 2, save yourself $100.  The Uber Magni 2 has a tiny bit more power, but nothing you should even notice.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,517 of 2,577

I will be using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm headphones and I was debating Uber or not (Maybe just 1 Uber, the difference between the 2 aesthetics-wise won't bother me).
I don't need the extra inputs on the Modi 2 U and I don't need the pre-amp outputs on the Magni 2 U, is there any other reason for me to upgrade?
What would you do?

I asked Schiit customer service this very question. They told me not to bother with uber. I didn't. I don't know if I'm missing anything; I just know I am really happy with my purchase.

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,518 of 2,577
What would you do?

Here is one viewpoint, not based on any head to head listening of course.

Get the Uber amp, beefier power supply and a better sounding circuit due to this "Magni 2 Uber’s gain stage is even more sophisticated, for higher performance. "  and this"complementary VAS drive"  whatever it does!  Remember there has to be a reason they did it and charge more, right?

Get the Uber dac, because power supply is important and the linear supply has got to be better than letting the dac rely on an iffy polluted USB computer port.

and assuming you are not listening to browser based music streams or MP3 files, you might be able to hear the benefits of the ubers with your Beyers. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,519 of 2,577
What would you do?

I have a Modi 2 and a Magni 2 Uber. The finish is different but it's really not that visible unless you pay close attention (Uber is nicer). As far as functional side is concerned, they work perfectly paired together. 

I got the Magni in the Uber version for a little extra headroom if I get some harder to drive headphones in the future. The hardest to drive headphones I own are Mad Dogs and I am sure I would have been fine with just the non Uber version as well. For me it was just a matter of future proofing.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,521 of 2,577
You could say the same thing for the non-uber, maybe adding extra stuff into the signal may have an impact on sound quality.  I think they both sound the same is a matter of functionality and future proofing (functionality) I myself have the non-uber version cause I dont have the necessity for the additional inputs.  That is my opinion and maybe wrong in the opinion of others. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,526 of 2,577
Why? When he doesn't need the extra inputs and features? The modi is essentially the same thing, while the Magni has a tiny bit more power, which should be unnoticeable and only contribute to a couple db higher in loudness.

For me just having a linear power supply instead of usb bus powered is worth it.
As for the Magni2U:

Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

Worth it for me, the amp is just a tad more refined with these add ons, especially the transformer.

Cheers,
K

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #1,527 of 2,577
For me just having a linear power supply instead of usb bus powered is worth it.
As for the Magni2U:

Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

Worth it for me, the amp is just a tad more refined with these add ons, especially the transformer.

Cheers,
K

Thanks for all the input everyone.

What difference does using a linear power supply make vs. USB power? Is it an audible difference?

What is a complementary-input VAS?

Has anybody listened to both the uber and regular and can comment on the difference? (Either Modi or Magni or both)

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #1,528 of 2,577

What difference does using a linear power supply make vs. USB power? Is it an audible difference?

Has anybody listened to both the uber and regular and can comment on the difference? (Either Modi or Magni or both)

I sold my Magni and Magni2Uber - can't compare them anymore but I can tell you why I like the linear power supply:
Noise. Sometimes you have bad power supply in the USB ports of your devices (PC) depending on how well everything is shielded internally. With the external power supply the DAC doesn't use the power from the noisy PC internals. 

I had one source a few years back that I had to use the optical out in order to get some usable sound quality into my DAC.
Anyhow, a good clean USB signal is really important. This helps a bit. If you already have clean USB power - then you might not hear any difference.

Cheers.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,529 of 2,577

Google is your friend

Some people cannot hear differences

There has been at least one post in this thread where the person heard both amps and commented......................again search................ the thread

And if you do not want to do the research or don't really want to hear opinions of others, just do whatever you want, in other words  
deadhorse.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,530 of 2,577
Why? When he doesn't need the extra inputs and features? The modi is essentially the same thing, while the Magni has a tiny bit more power, which should be unnoticeable and only contribute to a couple db higher in loudness.

The Modi Uber and the Standard Modi do not sound the same to me. It has a Different analog section which was a noticeable improvement both with headphones and more so with speakers. The Whole Powered By a Wall wart thing also helped Eliminate USB noise from crappy usb outputs. The Magni 2 U not only has more power but Different Gain Stage over the Standard Magni. Specs are not everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back