*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #918 of 2,577
My current chain is: Laptop>USB>Modi2Uber>Magni2Uber.
And even right now, it doesn't feel like my hand is uncomfortably hot when I touch it! It's about 100 degrees fahrenheit, 25 degrees cooler than it got in this setup:
Playstation 3>RCA>Magni2Uber.
But I've only been using it for half an hour today. Wait, it's getting warmer.. 105 degrees at the hottest point on the exterior.

Tell ya what. I'll do an experiment. Today, I'll run my Magni 2 Uber all day with my Playstation 3 playing music to my X2. I'll measure its temperature and then let it sleep overnight. Tomorrow, I'll let it run all day from the Modi 2 Uber(USB) and repeat. Not very scientific. But I just wanna see what happens! Plus, I get to burn in the X2^^.

As for the wall warts..
Magni2Uber:Flipping huge! Feels warm. Infrared thermometer says 113 degrees fahrenheit. WTH! It doesn't feel THAT warm.
Modi2Uber: Smaller, because it needs less wattage. 105 degrees fahrenheit.
My desk is currently about 88 degrees fahrenheit. My room is hot! Maybe that's why my Magni is always getting so warm.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #919 of 2,577
  My current chain is: Laptop>USB>Modi2Uber>Magni2Uber.
And even right now, it doesn't feel like my hand is uncomfortably hot when I touch it! It's about 100 degrees fahrenheit, 25 degrees cooler than it got in this setup:
Playstation 3>RCA>Magni2Uber.
But I've only been using it for half an hour today. Wait, it's getting warmer.. 105 degrees at the hottest point on the exterior.

Tell ya what. I'll do an experiment. Today, I'll run my Magni 2 Uber all day with my Playstation 3 playing music to my X2. I'll measure its temperature and then let it sleep overnight. Tomorrow, I'll let it run all day from the Modi 2 Uber(USB) and repeat. Not very scientific. But I just wanna see what happens! Plus, I get to burn in the X2^^.

As for the wall warts..
Magni2Uber:Flipping huge! Feels warm. Infrared thermometer says 113 degrees fahrenheit. WTH! It doesn't feel THAT warm.
My desk is currently about 88 degrees fahrenheit. My room is hot! Maybe that's why my Magni is always getting so warm.

I use mine to X2, as well. Did anyone experience the heating with high impedance phones ?

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #921 of 2,577
So just buying a couple new ones from amazon would do the trick you think? Or should I contact schiit?

Sry, I have no idea, but I'd think so, I'd contact Schiit and see if it is defected or a cheap one, then you don't have to think about it and they'll ship a new one if so I'd assume.
All these different defects on their devices doesn't exactly encourage me to place an order myself, but one have to know that there's a bigger chance that people will post about a defected device rather then post about how amazing it is, that's why it might look like there's a higher % of defected devices then there actually are.

Jul 29, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #922 of 2,577

Having a warm room will greatly change to temperature of the DAC/AMP'S.
It's winter here Down Under and using my Stack for 2 hrs and I can hardly feel any warmth coming out of my Magni 2Ü Its cold enough to put the heater on in this room, and it's just warm.
I know this, because my MBP get significantly hotter in summer than it does now, and fans are coming on 80% more in Summer m

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #923 of 2,577
It must really be based on the temperature of its environment. I had it going all day playing music from my PS3, and it was only about 106 degrees externally, with some 121 degree hot spots. So time and source/DAC don't appear to be big factors. It's all environmental!

Jul 30, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #924 of 2,577
Anyone who has the HE-400S? How does it perform with Modi 2 + Magni 2 stack?

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #925 of 2,577
  Sry, I have no idea, but I'd think so, I'd contact Schiit and see if it is defected or a cheap one, then you don't have to think about it and they'll ship a new one if so I'd assume.
All these different defects on their devices doesn't exactly encourage me to place an order myself, but one have to know that there's a bigger chance that people will post about a defected device rather then post about how amazing it is, that's why it might look like there's a higher % of defected devices then there actually are.

From what I understand from my research, is that Schiit products are generally well made and reliable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back