*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #122 of 2,577
Modi 2 arrived today!  My chain is now Wyrd -> Modi 2 -> Project Polaris -> ZMF Blackwood.  Only been using it for a few hours, but my early impressions are positive!

Compared to the Dragonfly, the Modi 2 is much smoother.  Detail is just as present, but treble is not as hot or harsh.  More laid back.  As a result, the sound is more coherent from top to bottom.  Instrument separation and soundstage seem about the same, though the more unified sound makes the placement of some instruments sound more realistic (cymbals, trumpets, and high pitched notes don't sound as artificially forward).  That being said, it still bites when the recording calls for it.

Zs' New Slaves is one of my favorite albums, but has plenty of "harsh" moments throughout.  The Modi 2 is able to make it more enjoyable to listen to by easing the treble etch without robbing it of its character.

Overall, in my amateur estimation, I would say classify the overall sound as neutral with a slight warm tilt.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #123 of 2,577
  If you are a Magni/Modi 2 owner, please help!

At work, I've been a happy user of the amazing ghetto Topping TP30 amp/dac for 2 years. Initially using crappy headphones, a couple of months back, I upgraded to the ATH-M50s. I actually love the sound of those headphones, unfortunately, wearing them for more than a few hours a day is just super *painful* (and sometimes sweaty ..).

Today I just received some DT770/250 and unfortunately my amp is not powerful enough to drive them well as the volume is way to low before 3 using my main source. I'm therefor on a market for a new amp/dac combo.

My buddy has the Monoprice amp/dac which seams like a bargain and seems to do a much better job driving those DT770s. I was kind of amazed by how sweet his pot is too (at least compared to my TP30 which is rather terrible). On the other hand, I am wondering about the magni/modi 2 combo (non uber for both).

How's the volume pot on the magni 2 (non-uber) ? Does this feel good ? Any audible hiss when using it ? Is that an 'alps' volume pot :p ?

Just out of curiosity, why are you not interested in the magni/modi 2 uber combo? 

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #124 of 2,577
Feb 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #125 of 2,577
  Felt the non-uber versions were an even better deal.

If you have a main setup at home, then I can see why you wouldn't need the ubers.  I was considering both options as well, but decided to get the uber stack for future proofing my setup.  Especially the DAC.  The Modi pretty much has all the inputs I will need, so if anything will get changed it will most likely be the amp.  I figured that the extra $50 towards the DAC will save me a couple Benjamins in the future.  I will be getting some speakers in the future, so the pre-amp option is worth it to me too.  It's all about what meets your needs the best.  Just some food for thought.  Either way, I'm sure you will be happy as Schiit!

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #126 of 2,577
  Hello everyone,

New too all this audiophile business and would like some help picking up some nice headphones to go along with my recent Uber Stack and Airmotiv 5s. I'm looking for a something that won't break $400 USD and that can also pull double duty as a gaming headset for those late nights (like today). Type of music I listen too are jazz, classical, techno, new age and Spanish guitar. If possible something open since my ears tend to get hot when using closed cans.

Thanks in Advance.

Definitely check out the Philips Fidelio X2's, I got them and I just love them. Every bit as good as both professional reviews and reviews on Amazon led me to believe. I really went in with high expectations as an owner of HD 598's and Beyerdynamic DT-250's, which some call 'closed HD 600's' and are great. The Fidelio X2's have met or exceeded all my expectations, particularly with the build quality and noise isolation(considering they're open cans).

They were only a bit underwhelming sonically, which I went in expecting based on what I heard about their sound before break-in. Before break-in bass seems a bit overpowering, mids seem recessed, and highs slightly grainy. But after the first 8 hours of listening the first day(yesterday), I was already noticing improvements. They would make great first high-end headphones as they're great all-rounders, good/great for pretty much any music genre, as well as games/movies. They're also just very fun to listen to.
L3000.gif

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. I also own a Magni 2 Uber but with the original Modi. Schiit is known for being a bit bass-lean(not necessarily light), so the X2's are particularly good with a Schiit stack. Def some nice synergy.

Check out this review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

And this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #127 of 2,577
Loving my wyrd + modi2/magni2 uber stack, the sound is so clean and balanced. paired with the magnificent HD800 the sound is the best I heard so far, totally kicked away my upgraditis.  maybe it's an endgame for me...don't know.
I don't hear any lack of bass..just right imo,same for treble.  Bassheads should use bass heavy headphone and get a good quality bass out of the stack.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #128 of 2,577
Will/does Schiit offer the Magni & Modi Uber in black? I see they have some models available in black.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #129 of 2,577
Will/does Schiit offer the Magni & Modi Uber in black? I see they have some models available in black.

No, the black series was an experiment that did not pan out. ( Unfortunately )

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #134 of 2,577

It's sexy.

Schiit still has a few Valhallas in black. I want one really bad, but already have one in silver. I do have a Lyr Noir though.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back