*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #46 of 2,577
  I'm fairly new to this stuff and I have a question that might sound stupid. What is the purpose of the preamp on the magni 2 uber? What does it give you that the standard amp function of the magni does not? I've been looking online for answer with no luck. Thanks!

The preamp can be used to connect a pair of powered speakers.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #48 of 2,577

Hey RickB,

So if I was using headphones, I wouldn't need the preamp functionality? Trying to figure out if I need to get a magni 2 uber or if just the regular magni 2 would be fine.

Correct. Unless you want to use powered speakers too, you wouldn't need the uber. However, keep in mind that the uber version may have slightly better sound quality. I haven't heard either, so I don't know.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #51 of 2,577
The uber also have better power supply and supposedly improved gain stage. I've also debated between the uber and regular magni/modi2 before I got them, but finally decided on the uber. I actually don't need the preamp output and other digital inputs of the ubers but didn't want to miss on the slight improvements,in this price range I rather squeeze every bit of sound improvement offered. The better looks is a nice bonus,but this is the least important factor.  
I also love the rca and full size headphone connectors (no more 1/4 to 1/8 adapters)  schiit send the package with a very good quality rca interconnects which is perfect for stacking the modi and magni together.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #54 of 2,577
My new pile of schiit:

I am so happy with my purchase..great sound!  the dac is definitely better than the Dragonfly IMO..sound is much less sharp and aggressive(digital)..but sound signature is neutral and balanced.   Look so good and fit perfectly on my little desk.
Right now a session with the SR325e's and tommorow I will try the HD800.    
One little issue I had is the first time I listened I got noisy pops, probably from the dac.  But it was gone after one minute so no problem.    (I have the wyrd but decided to leave it aside for now).
I had a really nice suprise opening the modi2 uber box..a pair of straight wire rca cables!  WOW ..this is not a schiity cable at all!    Kudos schiit   :beerchug:

How do you find your 325e's paired with this combo? I'm looking for something to make my ps500e's sing.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #55 of 2,577
How do you find your 325e's paired with this combo? I'm looking for something to make my ps500e's sing.

The schiit stack is pretty much neutral in sound ,so I love it with every headphone I own (HD800,ATH-M50,SR80/325).  If you aren't "afraid" of the true nature of the Grados (some are trying to warm them up to get rid of the agressive bright farward sound), than the schiit will show their true potential.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #56 of 2,577
I'm going to buy a Magni 2 Uber, and plug my CDP (Marantz CD 5004) straight into its input. Will adding the DAC make a massive difference? Also how does a CDP, Amp, DAC combo work?

Will a CDP and Magni 2 sound good?

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #57 of 2,577
  I'm going to buy a Magni 2 Uber, and plug my CDP (Marantz CD 5004) straight into its input. Will adding the DAC make a massive difference? Also how does a CDP, Amp, DAC combo work?

Will a CDP and Magni 2 sound good?

Yes you can plug your CDP directly into the Magni. You can also plug a DAC into the Magni. But, you cannot do both at the same time. The CDP provides an analog signal to the Magni which the Magni can amplify. The DAC does the same thing but it first converts a digital signal, like that from the USB port of your computer, into an analog signal. 

Basically your CDP and a DAC would be separate sources of music.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #58 of 2,577
Currently at about 12 hours with my Schiit stack (see avatar) and I have some quick impressions.  Opinions are based on switching from an iBasso D7, which I used constantly over the last couple of years.  Headphone used were my stalwart companions over many years: Denon D2000, unmodded save for J$ leather pads.  I also own, and religiously use, a pair of Heir Audio 4.Ai's, but I have yet to try them with this new gear, as I use them most often during the week, as the cornerstone of a mobile rig.

Anyway, first impressions of the build quality and appearance were very good.  The brushed aluminum looks gorgeous and the fit and finish is pretty good.  I had to dig up the screw-on 1/4" adapter for my cans, but once I found it, setup and prep was very quick.  Driver installation for async USB on the Modi was painless and quick.

So, about the music and aural impressions--the real reason you're likely reading this: "precise," "clean," and "detailed" were the first words that came to mind when I queued up the first song.  My face went pale and I panicked as it initially sounded like this gorgeous new rig had neutered the D2000's signature warmth and impressive bass performance.  I had never really considered the D7 to be a warm amp and DAC combo, but in hindsight, it clearly was just that.  The Magni/Modi 2U stack, even after a dozen hours of usage and listening, really thrust home the "solid state" signature I had heard used to describe non-tube amps: clean, precise, revealing, detailed, and neutral.  Others may disagree with this assertion, but I'm simply expressing what my ears (and brain) tell me while I listen.  The unexpected treble of this combo's clean sound will still surprise me as I go back and listen to favorites and new albums alike.  But then I'll hear details I've never noticed before and I get a smile across my face.

I plan to continue listening to this stack, and I expect it to continue to impress me as I get used to its sound.  It does seem to be highly track/album-specific, as well as insanely revealing of quality.  Some tracks will have harsh treble and be sorely lacking in bass quantity, but the details and bass tightness and precision will shine through.  Additionally, FLAC (and 320kbps MP3, e.g. Spotify Premium) can certainly make a huge difference, especially when it's a true 24/96, 24/192, etc. master.  In those highest-quality of masters or personal rips, many of the quirks in the sound signature that jump out at me seem to fade away and I hear my D2000's perform the best they ever have in the years I've owned them.  I assume that's due to master, mixing, and artist, though.

Anyway, those are my not-so-quick impressions.  Looking forward to spending dozens more hours with these handsome and precise little boxes.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #59 of 2,577
Oh baby, just bought the Uber stack. So excited! FiiO has served me well for years, but a little bonus at work combined with the fantastic reviews these are getting, and it seemed like the perfect moment to upgrade. I'll give them a run with my HD595's while I decide between 600's, 650's, or potentially 700's. Has anyone tried them with HD700's? I saw lots of chatter about other Sennheiser models, but nothing on the 700's.

Feb 3, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #60 of 2,577
I've been using my Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 for a week now, replacing a FiiO E09k & E17, and can definitely hear an improvement in the accuracy of the sound. I feel the soundstage has gotten a bit bigger too, although I'm not too sure (still learning to trust my ears). With my HD600s, whilst I feel the Magni2U is good enough to drive them, I feel it's missing a bit of kick. I reckon a plain Magni 2 would struggle to drive HD600s, although perhaps someone has already confirmed/debunked this? I'm tempted to upgrade to the Valhalla 2 to see if it'll give me the power I feel these headphones deserve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back