Official plans for firmware updates for the X3 after version 2.10 and 3.0!
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #92 of 110
  Flashed v3.0 yesterday and used the X3 for about an hour today in total, all was well. No freezes or reboots!

Loving the UI at the moment. Wish there was more themes like the black and orange one though.

Have you looked here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3/210#post_10666249

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #93 of 110
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

D.      Added to the firmware updating plan, but requiring longer development time—no firm schedule
2. Path memory function for Now Playing screen.

I assume this refers to the device being unable to go back to the playing list after powering off.

IMO, this should be your only priority. If screams 'shoddy software' at your users and its presence in a version 3 tell us that you don't care about software quality. I would be totally sold on FiiO now if it were not for this. Despite the silly grid layout on a device with only up/down buttons - if it weren't for this obvious bug, I would definitely be thinking FiiO is the audio player maker to go for.

As it is, I'm going to think long and hard before I contemplate buying anything FiiO again. There is no need for this sort of bug - if you've got time for pointless cosmetic 'upgrades', you've got time to make the thing work properly....

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #94 of 110
  Have you looked here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684793/diy-your-own-theme-for-your-lovely-x3/210#post_10666249

Thanks for the link. Not searched around for themes yet.

Now need to figure out how to install them lol

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #95 of 110
As it is, I'm going to think long and hard before I contemplate buying anything FiiO again. There is no need for this sort of bug - if you've got time for pointless cosmetic 'upgrades', you've got time to make the thing work properly....
You didn't by chance come from an iDevice did you?

It really sounds like there is a DX50/90 with your name on it... :wink:

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #96 of 110

It really sounds like there is a DX50/90 with your name on it...
wink.gif

Do they work properly?
wink.gif

To be honest I'd narrowed my choice down to the X3 or the DX50 but there were no DX50s in the UK at the time (that I could find). I'm seriously starting to think I've made a bad choice.This sort of buggy interface gets to me (have you noticed?). I'm seriously thinking of trying a DX50 and attempting to return the FiiO if I decide the DX is better (less buggy and sounds as good to me)......

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #97 of 110

It really sounds like there is a DX50/90 with your name on it...
wink.gif

Do they work properly?
wink.gif

To be honest I'd narrowed my choice down to the X3 or the DX50 but there were no DX50s in the UK at the time (that I could find). I'm seriously starting to think I've made a bad choice.This sort of buggy interface gets to me (have you noticed?). I'm seriously thinking of trying a DX50 and attempting to return the FiiO if I decide the DX is better (less buggy and sounds as good to me)......

DX50 is even more buggy. Stay away imo

Sent from my baked potato with blue cheese

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #98 of 110
Do they work properly? :wink:

They all have their own flavor of bugs... I had the same issue before I picked up the X3... Should I get a DX50 but as I live in Canada there were none to be found except from iBasso... So I grabbed the X3 out of convenience, and at that time the DX50 was buggy as bat Schiit as well.

I came from a Colorfly C3 so I am totally familiar with inept Chinese User Interface's, the C3 has an amazing sound and one gets used to idiosyncrasies of the UI very quickly.

The 2.0 firmware had a list based interface which worked nicely but major bugs in decoding etc... Then the lazyness kicked in at FiiO and they ported over their wheel based interface from the X5 to the X3. Since the X5 is their flagship at the moment all design work goes into that and the X3 gets dragged along like a red headed stepchild...

The talk of an X3 V2 raised some ire as well form the current X3 owners. So you are in a great position if you're able to send the X3 back and get a DX50, I don't have that option available, to sell the X3 used I would takes a beating on it since the prices have dropped considerably... ($149 with a 64GB card.)

RockBox is available for the DX50 and I believe that would be the saving grace for the X3, but the firmware is proprietary and would have to be reverse engineered.

Mr Trev has made a list based interface for the X3 if that is any consolation from the "Metro" style interface.

I think you and I will be waiting a loooong time for any path navigation update that works properly since every new firmware seems to introduce a new list of bugs and quirks.

Good luck on your quest!
:beerchug:

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #99 of 110
They all have their own flavor of bugs...

Yes, I'm sure they do. I guess FiiO has annoyed me because it's such an obvious 'in your face' bug that manifests every time you use the thing. It would also be very easy to fix - unless they did something really stupid in structuring their code.

Anyway, I decided to try the DX50 - I think I still have a couple of weeks to return the X3 so I'll see which has the least annoying bugs (assuming there is no big difference in sound quality). There's also RockBox to consider as you say....

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #100 of 110
The Playback Info in the now playing screen is getting pretty old and I thought this would be fixed relatively quickly.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #101 of 110

[COLOR=FF0000]D.      Added to the firmware updating plan, but requiring longer development time—no firm schedule[/COLOR]
2. Path memory function for Now Playing screen.

I assume this refers to the device being unable to go back to the playing list after powering off.

IMO, this should be your only priority. If screams 'shoddy software' at your users and its presence in a version 3 tell us that you don't care about software quality. I would be totally sold on FiiO now if it were not for this. Despite the silly grid layout on a device with only up/down buttons - if it weren't for this obvious bug, I would definitely be thinking FiiO is the audio player maker to go for.

Hello petecc,
If you've been following the latest X5 betas, you'll see that we've been working on full support for playlists, folder-based operations (selecting whole folder for addition to playlists or playback, instead of individual songs)--both very important functions for a smooth music listening experience, not cosmetic at all. But I note the importance you place on the path memory function and will talk to the developers about it. They do seem to be on a roll recently, so now is as good a time as any to bring it up :wink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 15, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #102 of 110
Hello petecc,
If you've been following the latest X5 betas, you'll see that we've been working on full support for playlists, folder-based operations (selecting whole folder for addition to playlists or playback, instead of individual songs)--both very important functions for a smooth music listening experience, not cosmetic at all. But I note the importance you place on the path memory function and will talk to the developers about it. They do seem to be on a roll recently, so now is as good a time as any to bring it up
wink.gif

Hi, the comment about "pointless cosmetic 'upgrades'" was aimed at the change from a list/text based system to the icon grid. This was definitely cosmetic and, IMO, worse than pointless as the device only has up/down navigation; worse even than that, the up button is to the right of the down button, so in your new interface: "to navigate right, press the left-hand navigation button"
confused.gif
  If I were in charge at FiiO, I would consider inviting the genius who came up with the idea to take their inestimable skills elsewhere.....

Whereas the changes you mention are desirable new features, I don't see how new features can have priority over making the thing work properly in the first place. When you power off and the back button takes you from the playing screen to the 'all songs' category in the navigation - that is obviously wrong behaviour - especially as the list might be empty, if you haven't scanned your media.

I now have a DX50 for comparison and it doesn't remember its navigation either 
mad.gif
. However, it doesn't do anything that is obviously wrong - the 'my music' control takes you back to the main menu, from which the 'now playing' item takes you to the list of tracks that are playing. This isn't ideal, but it's better than the FiiO. I don't know why this is such a deal for this class of player - the humble SanDisk Clip Zip outdoes both of these (far more expensive) players in terms of a UI that is appropriate (to the hardware), intuitive and functional.

I'm definitely leaning towards the DX50 - the interface looks much better (not difficult - only the black theme is even bearable on the FiiO) is more appropriate to the hardware (OK, that's easier because it has a touch screen and I'm glad I don't have large fingers) and has more features (folder based cover art, playlists).

And I think I prefer the sound.....

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #103 of 110
Your choice, good luck...

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #104 of 110
I would agree that the user interface could use some general improvement.

Some thoughts:

Startup: unit should drop into what every file folder that was last used unless another path is specified. Unit should start playing where it left off unless otherwise specified.

General usage:
File navigation: should be able to default to either internal or external storage so one less menu to navigate.

Should move to next file folder automatically unless otherwise specified when playing music.

Should be able to easily navigate to track information and EQ while playing a file.

Needs standard playlist support, probably m3u

Less menus are better. Simplify when possible.

Jul 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #105 of 110
I would agree that the user interface could use some general improvement.

Some thoughts:

Startup: unit should drop into what every file folder that was last used unless another path is specified. Unit should start playing where it left off unless otherwise specified.

General usage:
File navigation: should be able to default to either internal or external storage so one less menu to navigate.

Should move to next file folder automatically unless otherwise specified when playing music.

Should be able to easily navigate to track information and EQ while playing a file.

Needs standard playlist support, probably m3u

Less menus are better. Simplify when possible.

Wow that is quite the feature set.
This is is exactly what you need and it has all those features already...
http://goo.gl/3vPc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back