Official NYC Spring 2011 Meet March 19th
Feb 27, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #181 of 405
Quote:

as well as attendees list, along with the tips for newbies list.great job, as always, Stevio!

Quote:
Winniemagic said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the parking situation? Maybe i'm blind but i can't seem to find parking information. 

the hotel does have a parking lot, and there is also some parking available on the side streests.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #182 of 405

Quote:
Looks like a 12 block walk.  Bayside's a nice suburban neighborhood, and is quite safe.

Dude, Thank you so much for the map and advice.  Your avatar is awesome!  
basshead.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #183 of 405
The neighborhood is as good as it gets in NYC. I wouldn't leave my car running while heading into the 7/11 but you are not going to get robbed in Bayside. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #186 of 405
This is basically true.  The NY group is a great bunch of guys.  However, I did have to pay in advance for the room in White Plains.  That was no big deal because there was money left over from the previous fall meet.  Except that the Crown Plaza screwed me.  When Vinny graciously offered to buy lunch for some reason they charged my credit card and on top of that the hotel charged me twice for the room rental.  So instead of charging me $850 they charged me $3000 and it took almost 2 weeks to get my money back.  This is no reflection on any of the Head-Fiers but it does emphasize the point that donations are greatly appreciated because you never know what might happen.  Aarron's guy at the Adria is really cool and lets him pay after the meet but that's not typical of a lot of places and it's Aaron who is laying it on the line should anything happen.

Quote:
The NYC contingent is a great bunch. I don't think that Erik (who hosts the fall meet) or I have ever had to pay out of pocket for our room rentals 

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #187 of 405
I noticed SiBurning has my name on the list.  I know it's a given that I usually attend but I might  not be able to attend *gasp*.  It looks like a bunch of old friends are getting together for a poker game renunion (when we were single we played most weekends) and it may be that night.  No way my wife will tolerate me spending all day at a meet and all night at a poker game.  I will be single once more.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #189 of 405
Quote:
I noticed SiBurning has my name on the list.  I know it's a given that I usually attend but I might  not be able to attend *gasp*.  It looks like a bunch of old friends are getting together for a poker game renunion (when we were single we played most weekends) and it may be that night.  No way my wife will tolerate me spending all day at a meet and all night at a poker game.  I will be single once more.

well that'd suck if you were a no show. would yer wife tolerate you giving her the morning, giving your h-f buds the afternoon, and your poker buds the evening (with mebbe a stop at home between the events, perhaps to share dinner)?

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #191 of 405

Quote:
Any tips on how to carry equipment. I'm coming from the philli area by bus since I don't want to pay $100 in tolls. Carrying $2k equipment with me on the train doesn't really seem like a wise idea 
biggrin.gif

You could always buy a case or go for broke and get a nice Pelican case and cut out the foam to place your equipment in.  I've been meaning to do this for a while now and haven't gotten around to it.  It's a bit expensive but it protects your gear.  Or you can always just package it up in cardboard, packaging peanuts, bubble wrap, etc. and put it in a luggage bag.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #192 of 405
Quote:
Any tips on how to carry equipment. I'm coming from the philli area by bus since I don't want to pay $100 in tolls. Carrying $2k equipment with me on the train doesn't really seem like a wise idea 
biggrin.gif

i can't imagine that tolls could be too bad. certainly driving, if an option, would be more convenient on several fronts, and i'd think more cost effective too.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #193 of 405
I'm trying to figure out if there's an easier way to take the LIRR to Bayside unless going to Penn station is the way to go.  Let me know, the whole map for LIRR is confusing  
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #194 of 405

Quote:
biggrin.gif

I always wrap my small stuff up in towels and put it in a suitcase. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #195 of 405
Quote:
Aaron, Thanks for setting this up and I am in.  I have to say I do not know Queens at all, so I need some help being sure I know how to get there by train.  I assume I go to GCT as usual when I go to the NYC, then use the subway to get to Penn Station which is the same as going to MSG and finally take the LIRR to Bayside.  The train rides add up to an hour and twenty minutes, so when you add in the subway and wait times it is going to take at least 2 hours of travel time.  From my house it is a 3 minute drive to the Pleasantville train station and I can walk it in 10 minutes.   Since you say the Bayside train station to the meet hotel is 3 minutes by cab can I assume it is a 10 minutes walk?  If the weather is nice is it reasonable to walk from the station to the hotel?  Is it safe to walk in that area?    

Skip Penn Station. Take the Metro-North Railroad to GCT, then take the 7 Express subway to Flushing/Main St in Queens (where it terminates). Transfer to LIRR there and take it to Bayside. From Bayside you can either take a bus or walk to the hotel (for walking, see the map on the previous page). If walking, there's a nice Greek restaurant on the way.
wink.gif

FYI for folks in Manhattan or passing through: the 7 Express subway stops at Times Square on 42nd and at GCT.

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if there's an easier way to take the LIRR to Bayside unless going to Penn station is the way to go.  Let me know, the whole map for LIRR is confusing  
blink.gif

From Brooklyn, take LIRR to Jamaica, then Woodside, then Bayside (transfer between trains at each stop). No need to go into Manhattan at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back