Official NYC Spring 2010 Meet Saturday, March 13th
Mar 20, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #166 of 188
The Aristaeus is indeed a version of the HEV90 circuit but with a proper PSU and much better parts and build quality. The T2 is really a supercharged version of the original SRX circuit (which the ES-1/2 used) with some really clever stuff in there and CCS loading for just about everything.

The BH is Kevin's take on a similar concept without ever seeing a T2 amp in the flesh or the schematic. He didn't see either until he received my old amp last year and by that time the BH circuit was nearly 10 years old.

The BHSE is a further development of that same circuit using components which weren't available when the original circuit was designed. The biggest change is in the output stage CCS which now uses just a couple of transistors as opposed to 14 in the original design plus the resistors needed for each of them. It's also a better layout and is more stable for long term use. The BH puts off an ungodly amount of heat (200W or so) and controlling where it goes is the only way to make sure these amps will still be functioning as new in 10 years time.

Now there are new amps on the drawing board but whether or not anybody will make them commercially is hard to say. As we continue to push the boundaries things get expensive, very expensive in fact. If the DIYT2 were to be sold commercially then it would be at least 15K$ if not more in its most basic form.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I saw Mikhail and the ES 1/2 he was working to get it sounding right,meters and tubes everywhere! There where signs, I got suckered too.

He was even told how he could fix the amps once and for all but he just didn't listen. A full year before I posted the internal pics of my amp I posted a thread here which warned about everything which turned out to be wrong with my amp. Jude had to pull it as Mikhail accused me of making it all up (and I didn't have an amp in my possession to back up my claims, it was all based on internal pictures which I couldn't forward) but Mikhail shipped out quite a few broken units after that was posted.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #167 of 188
I had Guss2's Aristaeus and HE90 at my house for more than a month (I need to get Gary to go that again
smily_headphones1.gif
) and it was one of my favorite sounding rigs of all time. Now that I have the Omega and a BH I'm not sure which I would prefer. Hopefully I can get Gary to show up at the next meet and bring his rig so we can compare. The reality is I don't believe I would ever pay the price of admission for an HE90 rig as I would sooner put that money into improving my speaker rig.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #168 of 188
I definitely think that my Blue Hawaii purchase from Kerry was one of my most enjoyable component purchases that I have ever made while being a head-Fi Member (aside from buying the cow instead of of getting the milk for free, when I finalized my second marriage).
He let me be a part of every decision making process, which is something that you just don't get when buying online, or from a brick and mortar.

I had Gary's Aristaeus (such a generous and kind hearted man) for a month also, and I don't remember whether or not it sounded this good. The cool thing about auditioning Gary's amp, was that Braillediver (what ever happened to him?) sent me a box with approx. 30 different match pairs of ECC-83 and ECL88 tubes to bias and audition. That was a blast, but it was information overload and I lost it about 10 pairs into it.

The Mullards and Valvos took 1st place and my Woo GES benefitted from that sampling. Totally beat out the stock OEM 12BZ7's far
and wide.
A nice gentleman in Copenhagen is now reaping the benefits of those rewards of 2 weeks of "torturous" and brutal decision making. I picked out my iiving room furniture in 1/4 of the time. You've gotta have priorities.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #169 of 188
Here's the review I promised....

If you want to know every detail you can read about it here:

Audio Addiction » Blog Archive » 2010 NYC Head-Fi Headphone Meet

Quick summary:

Favorite all around headphone: Sennheiser HD650
Favorite amplifier: Woo Audio WA2

My approximate ranking of the headphones I heard:

1) Sennheiser HD650
2) AKG K701
3) Grado MP-2
4) Sennheiser HD800
5) Grado PS1000
6) Grado GS1000

I say approximate because of different sources, music, etc. A true A/B requires a lot, but I'm confident this list is accurate to me for my tastes.

The HD650 and K701 had the nice warm, full sound I like. The Grado MP-2 was nice but had a slight glare that hurt my ears a little...the HD800, PS1000 and GS1000 were just too thin and a bit bright for my tastes. I was able to run the HD800 and PS1000 on the same amp as the HD650 and K701, so I'm fairly certain I'm making the right judgment call. The HD800 and the GS1000 were very similar, but the HD800 was a bit stronger sounding so to me that wins.

It's satisfying that the 2 cheapest headphones on this list were my favorites......not all that surprising in my experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

The HD650 edged out the K701 because it was fuller and could handle a bit more dynamics and SPL. It's possible the K701 is better for some music....but those results remain to be seen.

Also, another day to reinforce how important amplifiers and gear are. I've always said that amplifiers are more important than speakers and headphones, and this observation seems more pronounced with headphones than with speakers.

Enjoyed the Stax Omega 2 on the Woo Electrostatic setup.....I wish I had more classical music critical listening under my belt, but hard to go wrong with this setup.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #170 of 188
73° and abundant sunshine here today. Definitely not the norm for this time of year. Would have been a nicer day for a meet compared to last Saturday's monsoon rainstorm.

Did 100 miles on the motorcycle today. Bikes were out in droves, so were cops. Had to keep it under 125 mph. Gotta remember days like today when the weather is not so nice.

Daytime was for cruisin, nighttimes is for music listening,
Picked up a pair of T-1's this week (they are headquartered 20 miles from my house.
Gotta say that I'm really impressed. Lots of detail and heavy competition for the HD 800's which are $400 more, MSRP.
Listening to "In Rainbows" and it sounds damn good!

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #171 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midrange Monster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My approximate ranking of the headphones I heard:

1) Sennheiser HD650
2) AKG K701
3) Grado MP-2
4) Sennheiser HD800
5) Grado PS1000
6) Grado GS1000

Did you try the 800s on Jack's WA5? Both the 800's and the T-1's sounded spectacular on the WA5. Both headphones need an amp with lots of balls.

I really don't like the HD650's but I thought they sounded unbelievable on Ray's Protector, balanced. Or was that the HD600's? All of the downsides that I find with the Sennheiser HD6XX's were overcome by the balanced Protector. Owned a pair for 8 years, and it was the first time I really enjoyed them.

What's a Grado MP-2?

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #172 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up a pair of T-1's this week

I'm jealous. What amp are you pairing it with?

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #173 of 188
Quote:

Did you try the 800s on Jack's WA5? Both the 800's and the T-1's sounded spectacular on the WA5. Both headphones need an amp with lots of balls.

I really don't like the HD650's but I thought they sounded unbelievable on Ray's Protector, balanced. Or was that the HD600's? All of the downsides that I find with the Sennheiser HD6XX's were overcome by the balanced Protector. Owned a pair for 8 years, and it was the first time I really enjoyed them.

What's a Grado MP-2?

It's a discontinued high end Grado....an earpad like the RS-1.

I listened to the 800s on the WA2s....how does that amp compare to the WA5? I didn't get a chance to listen to the WA5.

When you say fantastic, what does that mean exactly?

I can see where people might not like the 650 on a lesser amp, but the more power you give the better it becomes without any downsides, IMHO.

A great amp can do wonders to bring out dynamics, resolution, soundstage, bass, SPL, etc. of almost ANY headphone, but it cannot always fix poor voicing. Sometimes I hear a headphone that sounds more tonally correct unamped than amped! This is because if it's bright to begin with, even an amp with strong midrange might push the treble over the top....and then you're no good.

And perhaps you can fix it, but it will take a lot of work with the DAC/Phono Amp, interconnects, etc. A waste of voicing if you asked me.....I tried my MDR-V6 for a little bit while doing these auditions and it sounded pretty poor. Off a laptop, not as offensive.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #175 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midrange Monster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the 800s on the WA2s....how does that amp compare to the WA5? I didn't get a chance to listen to the WA5.

I'm a huge Woo fan. I think the WA2 is a nice amp, but the Woo Audio 5 is in a different league. A very fine amp.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #176 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm jealous. What amp are you pairing it with?

Beyer is only getting 5-10 at a time, but Peter the salesman (who is a great guy, BTW), put me on a list at CES and I hand picked it up at their Headquarters in Farmingdale.
You are welcome to come and take a listen, any time that you want.
Currently, I am using the Luxman P-1 (more power than anyone could ask for), but today, I am going to give it a try through my EF-5.
I asked Fang and he said it should be a good match. At 2 volts p/p at 32 ohms, made especially to drive the all mighty power consuming HE-5, it should have no problem driving the T-1's.
The Beyer Amp they had at the show (and at CES) was not really the right amp for it (Beyer knows this) and that is why they gave a pair to Jack Wu to run off of his WA5, which is a beast in "Hi gain" mode. They had great synergy.
I sold my HP-2's (i know, I know) to fund the purchase. They are going back to it's original owner for the same price that I paid for it (a steal) but I gave my word that if I ever sell the HP-2's, it would be back to the original owner.
They are mint, with new pads and perfect lettering and I could have gotten $1800 for them, but I am a man of my word, and when someone does you a solid, and you have a chance to repay that solid, it's the greatest feeling in the world.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #177 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a huge Woo fan. I think the WA2 is a nice amp, but the Woo Audio 5 is in a different league. A very fine amp.

If the WA5-SE didn't have a pre-amp section with the price reflecting the ommision of the circuit, I would have snatched one up in a second. The only problem besides the base price being out of my league, is that a matched pair of Sophia's or Western Electric's, can set you back another $500.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #178 of 188
Quote:

If the WA5-SE didn't have a pre-amp section with the price reflecting the ommision of the circuit, I would have snatched one up in a second. The only problem besides the base price being out of my league, is that a matched pair of Sophia's or Western Electric's, can set you back another $500.

What about the "Lite Edition"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back