Official NYC Spring 2010 Meet Saturday, March 13th
Mar 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #151 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... There also was the other one that acted as if I didn't exist but you can't be loved by everyone.

...Who did I leave out? Oh yeah, the guy that didn't acknowledge my existence. Needless to say, I didn't try out any of his gear.

You're too much Mike. I am laughing and feeling bad at the same time. I feel like I'm in high school and have two good friends that can't understand how in the world I can be friends with the other one.

Next time, try not to hold back so much. Just let out, you'll feel much better
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #152 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're too much Mike. I am laughing and feeling bad at the same time. I feel like I'm in high school and have two good friends that can't understand how in the world I can be friends with the other one.

Next time, try not to hold back so much. Just let out, you'll feel much better
tongue.gif

Don't be sad, I'm not.

If I didn't hold back so much, my post would be deleted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #153 of 188
Quote:

What kind of world do we live in?
eek.gif

Sad indeed but we have products released all the time here and elsewhere which are rip-offs of somebody else's work. On top of that we have products where the insides are nothing like what the manufacturers claims them to be. "Balanced" amps which are clearly single ended and so forth.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #157 of 188
Spritzer, Tyrion tks for your answers.

Since Ive never heard the HE90, this is only guessing from my point, but arent the HE90 and HE60 sort of cut from the same cloth and from what Ive deciphered/read one of the best amps for the HE90 hasd been the Singlepower SDS that Neilvg has/had?
Am I unerstanding correctly that the BH approaches the Singlepower, all this in terms of sonics, forget about customer relationship etc?
What is the going rate for the BH?
Pär

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #158 of 188
The HE60 and HE90 are quite different, the HE60 needs a transparent, powerful amp to get the most out of them while the HE90 needs a more euphonic match to highlight its strengths and gloss over the weaker spots. I certainly wouldn't recommend a BH for the HE90, way to revealing.

You meant the Single Power ES-1/2 and not the SDS. Their story is nothing but sadness, most of them are broken down by now and all of them have never worked like they should have. You can read about my attempts to rebuild one of these which was given to me here. In stock form I would never recommend these amps even if they were built properly. The sound is mediocre, soft and woolly which clearly isn't how Stax intended the design to be like when introduced in 1968. Fully rebuilt it is a different story, it performs flawlessly and isn't embarrassed by the BH. Now this is an all tube design with none of the solid state improvements something like the Blue Hawaii has so it will never be able to match the focus or control but it has the same warmth and ease as so many vintage tube amps have. The problem with rebuilding something like this is the cost. I did it myself but getting a technician to do it would be 5k$ or more which is just about what the BH costs.

The BH is now in a new version called the BHSE and is sold by Headamp.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #159 of 188
Wow, that story is scary!

I take it you are not a super fan of the HE90 then.
So should I conclude that the BHSE or BHKE is the best electrostatic amp out there?
Working well with O2s and HE60s but if Id like to try HE90s I need to find something different?

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #160 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by perrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So should I conclude that ...?

No. Try them yourself and then conclude.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #162 of 188
I just sent my Woo GES to a nice fellow in Copenhagen. Find out what cans he is using and take a ferry over to Denmark.

I don't know how you guys live with such a short summer. I know that quality of life is probable better than in the big Apple, but looking at Kmarthis' pictures with snow under his motorcycle in March makes me want to curl up next to a nice warm fire.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #163 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by perrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you are not a super fan of the HE90 then.
So should I conclude that the BHSE or BHKE is the best electrostatic amp out there?
Working well with O2s and HE60s but if Id like to try HE90s I need to find something different?

For now they are the best you can get plus the Stax SRM-T2 if you can find one. We are also working on a DIY version of that one but it is very limited in numbers and there will never be a commercial version.

The HE90's are not my cup of tea but still great headphones, just not neutral enough for me. Something like the Woo WES or an ESX would be a better match and also work well with the Stax Omegas.

Quote:

I don't know how you guys live with such a short summer. I know that quality of life is probable better than in the big Apple, but looking at Kmarthis' pictures with snow under his motorcycle in March makes me want to curl up next to a nice warm fire.

There is no snow here and we've had maybe 3 weeks worth of snow this entire winter with the deepest being 20cm. Right now it is about 9°C and not a cloud in the sky.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #164 of 188
71* and sunny here!

Spritzer, Please correct me if I am wrong but, I thought I read somewhere here that the BHSE started life as a reverse engineered HEV 90? And then Justin and Dr, Gilmore made some changes and we ended up with a BHSE is that true
popcorn.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You meant the Single Power ES-1/2 and not the SDS. Their story is nothing but sadness, most of them are broken down by now and all of them have never worked like they should have. You can read about my attempts to rebuild one of these which was given to me here. In stock form I would never recommend these amps even if they were built properly. The sound is mediocre, soft and woolly which clearly isn't how Stax intended the design to be like when introduced in .

Every time I saw Mikhail and the ES 1/2 he was working to get it sounding right,meters and tubes everywhere! There where signs, I got suckered too.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #165 of 188
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, Please correct me if I am wrong but, I thought I read somewhere here that the BHSE started life as a reverse engineered HEV 90? And then Justin and Dr, Gilmore made some changes and we ended up with a BHSE is that true
popcorn.gif

That was the Aristaeus. The BH is closer to the T2 IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back