Official NYC Fall 2015 Regional Meet Impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 81
Pictures round 2

This last pic was in a park across the street from a place we stopped to eat on the way home. Just thought it was pretty cool.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #32 of 81
What a great bunch of folks at the meet. Scott (Mullet) did an amazing job organizing and also going around the room and ensuring everyone had whatever they needed and were having fun.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by my Inner Sanctum Audio table (especially Spencer, Scott and Anthony, who made purchases)!

Since I was tied to my booth, I was not able to get around and hear very many setups, but there were amazing sounds all around. Fun for me to monitor what types of music people chose to audition equipment. At my booth, people were using everything from cello sonatas to AC/DC. Gotta love it.

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 81
Had a great time guys!  Special thanks to @Mullet for organizing and so happy that @bikerboy94 bid on and won the ZMF x Vibro MK II.  It's actually the first one out in the wild as many of them will be sent in the next couple of weeks, but this was my first time showing them to anyone, and bikerboy is the first owner!

Looking forward to babylon!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 16, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #34 of 81
  Had a great time guys!  Special thanks to @Mullet for organizing and so happy that @bikerboy94 bid on and won the ZMF x Vibro MK II.  It's actually the first one out in the wild as many of them will be sent in the next couple of weeks, but this was my first time showing them to anyone, and bikerboy is the first owner!

Looking forward to babylon!

I'm a very happy camper. Enjoying them as I type. Thanks Zach.
beerchug.gif
darthsmile.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #35 of 81
Had a great time at the meet, only wish I could've stayed longer! Was glad to try out some gear there that I'd love to upgrade to. Stax Lambda, for the price, was especially impressive, but I'll likely be grabbing either a FiiO E11k or Q1 sometime soon. Thanks to everyone who brought their gear, hope to see some of you at the NH meet this December.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #36 of 81
Thanks again to Mullet for another excellent meet. It really was a pleasure to attend --nice people, enthusiastic and helpful, and a fine collection of equipment. Also, I think it's just terrific that the vendors take the time and effort (and expense) to attend, esp. Dan Clark of MrSpeakers who flew in all the way from Calif. (and boy were his arms tired - yuk yuk). But I was happy he did since I took advantage of his special meet pricing and bought an Ether C. Love the headphone; his set up was outstanding too. And Jack Woo always has his incredible sounding audio jewelry - some day I'll actually order one. But the real accolades perhaps should go to the many Head-Fiers who lugged in all their equipment and unselfishly shared with other members. Thanks, guys.

Nov 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 81

Hello:

I had a great time first meet ever. I got great help from MrBucket and Skyyyeman on how to get th eMOJO working on my NOTE 4. Very nice guys. Enjoyed meeting Mr Speaker, very nice and engaging guy. His Ether C was everything the claimed it was and you could even modiy the sound. I listened to the Hifiman HE1000 and TH900. I was loving the HD800 until I heard the Dharma's. I thought thta was the surprise of the show for those who got to hear it. I also loved the Pandora VI. I had a great time

The Pandora VI sounded a tad-bit "veiled" to me, kinda weird.  I'd certainly classify them as "unique"-sounding, to say the least.  Soundstage and imaging from them is very good for closed-back dynamics which is probably due to the additional balanced-armature drivers.  But to my ears at least, the upper-mids seemed a bit recessed and distant, thus the "veil."  They are very, very musical in their tonality, though.

That being said, I could not STAND their ergonomics.  I have NO IDEA what Final Audio Design was thinking designing a headband that slides smoothly without clicking or locking into place in any real way.  And they are obnoxiously heavy for dynamic-driver headphones.

This has caused quite a stir on the Pandora VI thread :D
I haven't actually listened to them in a while (or much else, my limited listening time goes to the HE-1000), and, tbh, EVERYTHING sounds veiled after listening to the HE-1000, my former faves, the HE-560, the Senn 650, everything. But, now I'm curious, have to pull them out and listen again...

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #39 of 81
I liked the Pioneer SE Master 1s. Airist Audio had them on their Heron amp. Very nice sound, and comfortable as well. I also got a chance to finally hear the HD700s as I was interested in buying it at one time. I think they are an overlooked headphone. The ZMF black woods have a very smooth sound, that Fostex driver is wonderful. It's amazing how little they charge for the new phones. My t20RPs are my new favorite headphone.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #41 of 81
Been enjoying my HE400s that I got in the auction. For the sound quality these are a def steal. Thanks again to everyone who put the meet together. :)

After listening to the WA5 I finally decided to bite the bullet and get some woo gear myself.

b4311557b7cbb0b8ee538e4379010756.jpg

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 81
A big thank you to Mullet for organizing this great event, and to everyone for their support!

If anyone wants to try Heron 5 in the comfort of your own home, PM me and we’ll put you on the list for one of our circulating loaner amps.

EDIT: the thread for our loaner program is up
http://www.head-fi.org/t/787946/airist-audio-heron-5-loaner-program-and-black-friday-sale

See you all at the next meet!

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #43 of 81
Hello:

I had a great time first meet ever. I got great help from MrBucket and Skyyyeman on how to get th eMOJO working on my NOTE 4. Very nice guys. Enjoyed meeting Mr Speaker, very nice and engaging guy. His Ether C was everything the claimed it was and you could even modiy the sound. I listened to the Hifiman HE1000 and TH900. I was loving the HD800 until I heard the Dharma's. I thought thta was the surprise of the show for those who got to hear it. I also loved the Pandora VI. I had a great time
Yeah we really had to work at it but luckily in the end you found a solution. It really is a great product when it's working :p

I quite enjoyed the meet for the gear and the people.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #45 of 81
So here goes...

Other than running the show... I did get a chance to relax and listen a bit.

My highlights:

I really liked the Heron 5 / R2R Dac combo at Airist Audio's table. There was some contention about the Pioneer SE Master 1s. Some felt they were too bright up top and others felt there was too much bass. With this setup, I thought they were very pleasant to listen to and had a good amount of detail, but smoothness at the same time. And yes they were comfy.

Eventually, I meandered over to the HIFIMAN table to get my first listen with the HE1000s. Boy was I in for a treat. I could not put them down. They did everything right, with every track I selected. If I only had 3000 bones they'd be in my stable of headphones. A man can wish... or just go broke. I also got a listen to the Edition X. While I like it, it reminded me of the LCD-2 in terms of the sound it was going for. The highs were a bit rolled off. In the end, I felt that I'm happy to hold on to my LCD-2 Rev 2s.

Finally, and this is something that I've wanted to do for quite a while is to spend time listening to Ultimate Ears full line of custom in-ear monitors. I started with the UE4 Pro. They reminded of the Triple Fis with that V shaped sound signature. They are a good starter CIEM, but not for me. Then I moved on to the UE5 Pros. They got progressively better than the 4s, but with a tad bit more evenness across the spectrum. Then came the UE7 Pros... this is where I'd personally start in the UE line. The sound stage started to open up with a little bit more detail. Next were the UERMs. This was the ticket for me in terms of UEs offerings. I felt they had gobs of detail; a really really nice evenness across the spectrum, with enough bass to please, but maybe could use a tad bit more. Then I moved on to the UE11 Pros. These just popped out at you. The bass and mids just slam. I can see why they're marketed to bassists and drummers. They definitely weren't my cup of tea though. Then I finallly moved on to the UE18 Pros. Along with the UERMs, I liked these the best. They had a really nice stage, there is gobs of detail and they had just the right amount of bass. If I had to pick between these and the UERMs I'd have a tough choice. When auditioning I used the same track and used the AK240 with no impedance matcher. When I plugged in the UERMs to my iPhone there was a "glaring" difference between the iPhone and AK240. It was night and day. I'm hoping the impedance matcher helps the iPhone because gosh, my wallet is sure gonna hurt.

I did hear the Ether Cs, but don't want to make a snap judgement. My experience was so so. But I'm thinking with a proper listening scenario, my impression would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back