Official NYC Annual Spring Meet Saturday, March 21st
Mar 6, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #271 of 507
We don't literally pass the hat and there is no admission fee, but it is a nice gesture to give the host a few dollars. For us "well heeled" (read: employed) Head-Fiers a 20-spot is customary. For those still climbing the economic ladder or have fallen upon hard times, anything you can afford is appreciated but, again, nothing is mandatory.

We also have a [Not So] Silent Auction to raise funds. So if you have something that you don't need and think someone else might be willing to pay a few bucks for it, bring it along. Some decent interconnects, an old sound card, Barry Manilow SACDs, you get the idea. In the past some of the vendors in attendance have donated some very nice gear. Generally, you can get a really good bargain if you bring a few bucks along. I won an auction for one of the very first HeadRoom MicroStacks once for $440. I also won one of the first Minibox E+ amps for $125. I don't know if there will be any vendors donating this time around, but at the last meet I think Ray Samuels, Stefan Audio Art, and Woo Audio all donated some very nice items and some folks got some nice deals.

The point is to make it an open, free, community event. By the same token there are costs involved. I think immtbiker has to pay the hotel $600 for the room rental. The last meet I hosted cost $400. As you know, in this area it is very difficult to get free space. If we collect more that what it costs to run the meet, then that money is donated to Head-Fi, which is only fair since without Head-Fi we wouldn't have these meets in the first place.

As far as bringing friends goes, that's not a problem as long as the venue is big enough to accomodate everyone. It would be a shame if there wasn't enough room for a Headphoneus Supremus to attend because you brought your friends along who only have a passing interest in headphones. That being said, we have long outgrown the old Grado Labs meets where we literally could not squeeze another body (or rig) into the joint. Space has not generally been an issue for the last several meets. So as SiBurnning points out as long as they are respectful of the other members and their gear, then by all means bring them along. Posting on Head-Fi is not mandatory for guests but if they have a good experience and get more interested in headphones, then contributing their experience and knowledge back to the community is the way to go. They should consider joining and posting if they are going to pursue the hobby.

Hopefully I didn't ruin all the fun with this much-too-straighforward answer.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #272 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I hear that Tyll might come?

Yes, he's trying convince the powers that be that attendance would be beneficial. I'm hounding him on a near daily basis about it.
biggrin.gif

[edit]I'll be bringing a pair of RCA cable for the NSSA. Something like this:

medium.jpg

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #275 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
out of date, overrated crap.

Can you get some equipment that was made this century Danny, firchissake!

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #276 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you get some equipment that was made this century Danny, firchissake!

Hi E,

Interesting observation as I do tend to like many audio gems of the past and treasure them against their more recent vintage competition.

Old but rebuilt Quads, early Watt/Pupps, Classic tube amps, certain DA converters, etc. Now you have me thinking.

Just crap, all old not of this century crap, Orpheus included.

Dan

Mar 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #277 of 507
OK boys and girls, I have acquired plane tickets for the event. So I am now a definite. Will bring Cary Audio CAD 300 SEI, Cary Audio CD 306 SACD Player Professional Version, Cary Audio Xciter Headphone amp and Cary Audio Xciter Dac. EAT Power Tubes and Sylvania input tubes. All Black Dragon cables. Not sure what phones yet. We'll see what I can get done by then.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #282 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Build up, not out!

That's the NYC motto.
normal_smile .gif

Yup, I wanted to make sure I had both plenty of space at the meet and didn't take up too much space at the meet. For the $30 and hour and half investment it cost me it was definitely worth it. It'll also come in handy in my soldering rig downstairs.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #283 of 507
You made that gorgeous stand in 1 1/2 hours for $30
eek.gif

Can I be your b-tch?

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #284 of 507
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You made that gorgeous stand in 1 1/2 hours for $30
eek.gif

Can I be your b-tch?

Checked the receipt, ~$42 including the drill bit I had to buy.

Build time was accurate, three cuts, three holes, three sides run through the router table. Give me another hour tomorrow to sand and finish the shelves and it may come a little closer to attractive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #285 of 507
heh, that would take me approximately 1 1/2 years to build and it certainly wouldn't look like that. Nicely done, Nate.

I'm trying to figure out what my listening strategy is going to be this time around. The last couple of meets I have been concentrating on 'stats. So I think I will be trying to spend some time with dynamic cans I have never heard or with which I have only limited time. In particular, I am interested in hearing the AT AD-2000 again.

I'd also like to check out some different sources, but I find meaningful comparisons between sources to be almost impossible at a meet.

I have no idea what gear I am bringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back