Official New York Spring Meet Saturday June 11 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #317 of 374
Jun 8, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #318 of 374
I'm new at this headphone thing, I only have a year old $100 pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs (that generally get pretty sad reviews) and I am looking to upgrade. I don't even own a DAC/amp yet, I'm plugged into the headphone jack on my Cerwin Vega XD5 speakers that are plugged into my soundcard. I have been doing internet research for several months and after awhile reading people describe the sound of various headphones becomes very confusing. I've come across so many headphones that sound like they'd be just what I'm looking for "on paper" but then I'll read someone say on page 65 "oh but they're no good for metal" and then it's back to the drawing board. Very frustrating for an older metalhead who wants headphones that sound good for metal when everyone is demoing and reviewing headphones with classical, jazz, acoustic, edm or maybe some classic rock. Everything and anything but metal.

The only thing I've really learned for sure after reading all these reviews is that I'll need to actually hear some headphones before I lay out $200 - $500 for a new pair. I think that will be my price range for now. Seems like $500 is where the law of diminishing returns seems to kick in hard so I don't feel the need to go beyond that...yet. Planars or dynamic, bright or dark, V-shaped, roll-off, bass-head, I understand in theory what all these things mean but I desperately need to hear a bunch of different cans so I can begin to match the different sounds with what I've read and seen in reviews. I'm only an easy 30 minute drive away in Huntington and I have been looking forward to this meet for awhile now.

My question is, can I just come by empty handed? Is that poor etiquette to show up all fired up to listen to other people's gear without having anything of mine to offer? I assume I'll need to bring my ipod so I'll at least have some death and black metal to listen to through various headphones, but is OK if I come just to listen? I'm excited to learn about and try out some DAC/amps as well but I don't want to wear out my welcome or overstep anyone's generosity.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #319 of 374
  Taking pictures is encouraged so others not at the meet can see what they missed.

Sweet I just got my first camera recently.
I'm a newbie so this should be an exciting opportunity to take pictures. :D

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #320 of 374
I'm new at this headphone thing, I only have a year old $100 pair of V-Moda Crossfade LPs (that generally get pretty sad reviews) and I am looking to upgrade. I don't even own a DAC/amp yet, I'm plugged into the headphone jack on my Cerwin Vega XD5 speakers that are plugged into my soundcard. I have been doing internet research for several months and after awhile reading people describe the sound of various headphones becomes very confusing. I've come across so many headphones that sound like they'd be just what I'm looking for "on paper" but then I'll read someone say on page 65 "oh but they're no good for metal" and then it's back to the drawing board. Very frustrating for an older metalhead who wants headphones that sound good for metal when everyone is demoing and reviewing headphones with classical, jazz, acoustic, edm or maybe some classic rock. Everything and anything but metal.

The only thing I've really learned for sure after reading all these reviews is that I'll need to actually hear some headphones before I lay out $200 - $500 for a new pair. I think that will be my price range for now. Seems like $500 is where the law of diminishing returns seems to kick in hard so I don't feel the need to go beyond that...yet. Planars or dynamic, bright or dark, V-shaped, roll-off, bass-head, I understand in theory what all these things mean but I desperately need to hear a bunch of different cans so I can begin to match the different sounds with what I've read and seen in reviews. I'm only an easy 30 minute drive away in Huntington and I have been looking forward to this meet for awhile now.

My question is, can I just come by empty handed? Is that poor etiquette to show up all fired up to listen to other people's gear without having anything of mine to offer? I assume I'll need to bring my ipod so I'll at least have some death and black metal to listen to through various headphones, but is OK if I come just to listen? I'm excited to learn about and try out some DAC/amps as well but I don't want to wear out my welcome or overstep anyone's generosity.

Totally fine to come empty-handed. I listen to metal too, and I can assure you that you will be able to find a pair of cans you like!

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #321 of 374

It's not a problem when you come to the meet without any gear but be aware that by connecting some headphones straight to iPod will not let you hear what they are really are capable of so you will not be able to give them proper justice

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #322 of 374
Hey guys! Pretty excited for this since its so close. Just wanna let ya know bozebuttons that I'm coming with three or four friends but only I am bringing equipment. Probably just my laptop this time and not my full tower haha.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #323 of 374
  Hey guys! Pretty excited for this since its so close. Just wanna let ya know bozebuttons that I'm coming with three or four friends but only I am bringing equipment. Probably just my laptop this time and not my full tower haha.

No problem.

2 Days to go
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #324 of 374
Sorry guys, I have to pull out of this one. Last minute date/time change for a friends bachelor party. Have fun!

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #325 of 374
Hey everyone, look forward to seeing you all again!

We'll have our usual meet special, ETHER and ETHER C with DUM cables will be $1399.99, a $200 savings.

Also, anyone coming from Manhattan with room for three boxes Sat AM?

See you soon!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 9, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #326 of 374

Dan,

Where in Manhattan?

I have to pick up Jeremiah and then drive out to Long Island.

Let me know. I have a SUV with plenty of room. 

Ian White

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #328 of 374
Dan,

Where in Manhattan?

I have to pick up Jeremiah and then drive out to Long Island.

Let me know. I have a SUV with plenty of room. 

Ian White

The meet is at LI. :smile:

Jun 9, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #329 of 374

(it's a bit more than 24 hours, but you get the idea...) :)

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #330 of 374
Two announcements to share:

First: we have a new tuning for the electrostatic which has not yet been heard outside the company.  Also, picked up a set of Siemens EL34 for the Blue Hawaii, so yeah...

Second: we have a meet special for ETHER or ETHER C with a DUM cable, normally $1599.99 for $1399.  

Packing up, so see you Saturday!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back