OFFICIAL New Jersey (East Hanover) meet thread, July 26th
Jul 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #151 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance of a quick review of the Beyerdynamic Headzone before the NJ meet?

Mike

I'm honored, you're Mike Smyth, one of the Smyth brother's yes?

I'll try -- first we're going to do movies -- DVD's with 5.1 -- then try 2-channel audio (for which I have to use an Oppo as the source, I don't have a high-end source that outputs true redbook PCM, which is what this unit needs for 2-channel audio). But at the meet Saturday there will be folks with high-quality CDPs with S/PDIF output.

We already know the experience will be less realistic than your unit, since you measure individual HRTF's in a physical setup, but the question is: how good is it, given the use of average HRTF's (and therefore no need to even own speakers).

Jul 20, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #152 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have chosen my SACD source ...Here you go Wavoman!!!!!

Thanks, very interested in true SACD vs the redbook layer found on most SACDs, SQ-wise ... and have had no way to test. Very controversial topic here.

Also please see my PM -- question on SACD players.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #153 of 214
The SACD player that I'm bring is a Modwright Sony XA-777ES with all of the goodies.

The contraversies are from those who do not own SACD but have boughten high end Redbook players. The facts are the facts. What is the most important issues here is how the SACD is actaully mastered. Its mastered from the studio master sessions (usually), then transfered to DSD and so on and so forth.

Plus the output is analog.....again I can go on about this. I would rather talk about this over drinks!!!! LOL

Good stuff here!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, very interested in true SACD vs the redbook layer found on most SACDs, SQ-wise ... and have had no way to test. Very controversial topic here.

Also please see my PM -- question on SACD players.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #154 of 214
I think I have a couple SACD's, one being the 30th anniversary DSOTM. I'll definitely bring that for a quick listen to true SACD!

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #158 of 214
biggrin.gif
Less than 5 days away!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #159 of 214
Quote:

I'm honored, you're Mike Smyth, one of the Smyth brother's yes?

Yes, but not the honourable one!

Quote:

I'll try -- first we're going to do movies -- DVD's with 5.1 -- then try 2-channel audio (for which I have to use an Oppo as the source, I don't have a high-end source that outputs true redbook PCM, which is what this unit needs for 2-channel audio). But at the meet Saturday there will be folks with high-quality CDPs with S/PDIF output.

For good quality multichannel source material I would also recommend DTS encoded movies and music on DVDs and CDs - if it's been encoded at the higher bitrates eg 1.5 Mb/s. Headzone can decode this internally.

Quote:

We already know the experience will be less realistic than your unit, since you measure individual HRTF's in a physical setup, but the question is: how good is it, given the use of average HRTF's (and therefore no need to even own speakers).

Yes, I think the two approaches are somewhat different - perhaps even complimentary rather than opposing.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #160 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by rimrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For good quality multichannel source material I would also recommend DTS encoded movies and music ...

Yes! BTW, many people in this forum might not know that you invented DTS. We all do know however that it is superior to Dolby. I should have mentioned it in my post!

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #161 of 214
The hotel gives in. It turns out their rules can be bent by money. Who would have thought.

Even though the sign says "Limit 25", we have the room for 30 people -- signed and sealed. We will have 12 long skinny tables -- 6 feet each. 3 along each side wall, 4 along the back wall, and 2 in the center.

This gives us 36 2-foot (linear) spaces ... so some people can take more.

Bring it on!

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #162 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather talk about this over drinks!!!

Which brings me to drinking age. Can headphones bridge the generation gap? Except for members of the trade, it looks like many of the attendees are students. I'm 59. (Since I went to college in the 60's, I can't remember college at all since we were only infrequently not in an alternate reality).

This will be a wonderful sociology experiment.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #163 of 214
I want to go out to the bar but I gotta drive home. We will see what happens. Also for anyone who has ever transported a turntable in a car can you let me know how to do so without damaging the cartridge or the table itself? Remember bring LPs!

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #164 of 214
Quote:

Which brings me to drinking age. Can headphones bridge the generation gap? Except for members of the trade, it looks like many of the attendees are students. I'm 59. (Since I went to college in the 60's, I can't remember college at all since we were only infrequently not in an alternate reality).

Agreed and my guess is that the generation gap will be broken as the meet progresses. Too bad I am only 19 and don't have a fake ID, I will certainly spring for a non alcoholic beverage or two before I go though.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #165 of 214
Quote:

I agree..that would be interesting. My guess is 67 (and counting).

Sorry to mention the "drinks" think. I hope I did not stir the pot.

BUT, drinks will proceed......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back