Official JVC HA-RX700 Owner's/Appreciation Thread-Only Unmodded Observations, Please!!!
Feb 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #76 of 95
I think you'd be surprised. It's not one of those mods that changes what they sound like. The only possible way I could see you not liking it is if you think the mid range is too forward or that the phone is much too detailed, which clearly you don't. I've also heard people say the mod is reversible(which im not really sure how). I don't think you shuold wait for a second pair, especially since your main gripe is lack of detail, but its up to you ^_^.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #77 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, if I like my (cheap) KSC75s and HA-RX700s, and just want the same but better, what next? I'm thinking about moving up the Grado line, maybe to 225s. Anyone?

Do the felt mod, then LISTEN to them! Don't look for anything else. Enjoy them. That's what this whole thing is about. Well, maybe not for everyone. Some people really like buying headphones. For me, I spent a ton of money on about 10 pairs of headphones, sold them because I was never quite satisfied, then I got the RX700s, loved them, and stopped. I spend my money on music, buying rounds at the bar, a mountain bike, and all sorts of other cool stuff instead of always jonesing for the next best headphone. They sound great to me, cost me $33, and now I listen to them in bliss, knowing that I don't need more, and enjoying what else my money can buy me. I've been doing this for over a year. Just a suggestion...

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #78 of 95
Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 worth since I did begin this thread. About the 300-350 Hr. mark of listening and burn-in the RX-700's seemed to change a little on SQ for the better in the midrange and high end. If you believe that they are a little bit to laid-back in these areas try to be a little patient and see if they come around like mine did before any modifications. The mid range and and high end started to open up a little bit more that even say the 200-250 burn-in mark. The instrumentation is still subdued but definitely there-now. So even if you are tempted to do the felt mod please wait till after the 350 hr. time frame. I am one of these people that can't stand stringency or aggressiveness in the mid range and high end and I believe the RX-700's are very good in these areas now. Please only unmodded observation, let's keep the thread on track.Happy Listening.
atsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #79 of 95
Great thoughts all. I think that I am getting off the upgrade merry-go-round for a while. I've bought 5 sets of IEMs and cans in the last couple of months, and only the RX700s have been entirely satisfying. Aside from this find, the only good thing to come out of this round is that I've realized how great my older phones sound. I have a set of Denon AH-C551Ks I hadn't really liked, but after all this A-B'ing, I've actually fallen in love with them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhfactor1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 worth since I did begin this thread. About the 300-350 Hr. mark of listening and burn-in the RX-700's seemed to change a little on SQ for the better in the midrange and high end. If you believe that they are a little bit to laid-back in these areas try to be a little patient and see if they come around like mine did before any modifications. The mid range and and high end started to open up a little bit more that even say the 200-250 burn-in mark.

They don't sound veiled to me, but I do wish mids and highs were a bit more upfront, like my Grados. But past experiments with quarter mods have made my phones too harsh, so I'm going to give them time and see what they do on their own before doing anything at all.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #80 of 95
I picked up a pair of RX700s. I really like them. After some burn in the bass seemed to clean up. I am very happy with them. I have to admit though that after a few days I did do the felt mod.

Daniel

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #82 of 95
Wow, I'd thought there'd be at least a few replies since last year.  Apparently I was wrong.

I just got my RX700 last week and they've had a bit over 55 hours of burn-in time through a range of music in my collection.  I have to say that it just seems mids are recessed a bit behind the treble.  I don't have the best EQ system on my Cowon S9, so every attempt so far has brought the mids too far forward or not enough.  I've since given up and have gotten "used to" it.  Bass has improved dramatically.  Most vocals seem pretty forward.  They sound much warmer now, there's actually good clarity in the uppers and upper mids.  Instruments can be pretty easily discerned (they feel like they are on various planes floating about my head).  It's odd to me, but at the same time brings this very unique and very enjoyable listening experience.  These phones has given me a new light in which to view my vocal jazz and big band music (as in I'm totally in love again).

I've typed up a pretty long Word document detailing my impressions through my own burn process that I'll post up probably tomorrow.  I'm now yearning to buy the RX900 as well as the RX300 and RX500.  :D

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #83 of 95
Bear with me guys, I'm a total beginner.  I've been listening to... wait for it... Skullcandy earbuds.  I finally got tired of the poor sound quality and low durability, so I bought a pair of HA-RX700's.  They come in this week.  As soon as I burn them in, I'll post my experience.  I'm hoping it will be eye-opening.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #84 of 95
Out of the box: Sibilance! Ouch! Turning down the volume (which is probably a good thing) Bass is decent, i can't tell if this is soundstage or the phones are just a little whacked out right now but the sound doesn't seem very in your face.

Solid for $30, if i ever get my HTF600 back from repairs i'd love to do a budget king playoff
darthsmile.gif
I was hoping they could be a portable beater can, but no way!! These leak sound quite a bit!! Semi-Open, no idea how but they are.

May 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #85 of 95
Quote:
Out of the box: Sibilance! Ouch! Turning down the volume (which is probably a good thing) Bass is decent, i can't tell if this is soundstage or the phones are just a little whacked out right now but the sound doesn't seem very in your face.

Solid for $30, if i ever get my HTF600 back from repairs i'd love to do a budget king playoff
darthsmile.gif
I was hoping they could be a portable beater can, but no way!! These leak sound quite a bit!! Semi-Open, no idea how but they are.

Whats your opinion on the RX700s now since you had them a while? Takes a little time but with burn-in, they will give you something special. I love the clarity and balance of them. The Htf600s are a very enjoyable can as well but with a different sound signature for sure. When I want more bass , I definitely pick up my 600s but when I want to hear crisp sounding vocals, I reach for my Rx700s. Its been a  tug o war with me on these two on which I like better. You can't go wrong with either. I paid $27 for the JVCs new and $33 new for the Htf600s. They both beat the highly praised Portapros I have. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #86 of 95
I'm returning my Pan. HTF600 due to lack of ear space, and was wondering about the RX700. Does the RX700 have more ear room(and depth) than the HTF600? How does the sound compare between these 2? Is the RX700 a good choice for movies? Thanks.

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #88 of 95
I just got mine a couple of days ago. I was tempted not to listen to them until I had burned them in, but I couldn't resist and listened straight away. Mind you, I mostly listen to punk rock in MP3 320kbps, but I tried them with FLAC too.
I was disappointed. I had expected much more.
But then I let them burn in for the last two days, listening to them every once in a while, and HELL, what an improvement! I'm really starting to love them. The bass just magically appeared behind a sibilance that is now non-existent, and I couldn't be happier. 
I am no technical expert, and I used to have a pair of cheap Sony zx100, but I must say that these are a must buy for the price. I've tried all of my friends' Beats and honestly they sound ****ty in comparison. And they don't even have 50 hours of burn in!

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #90 of 95
The headband system is really good at distributing weight. I doub't it would be an issue. Of course it depends on the severity of your neck issues and how long you will be using the headphones without a break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back