official iriver imp-550 thread
Aug 8, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #211 of 223
I just saw that Amazon.com put the 550 on sale for $153. If I wouldn't have just ordered a HDD based mp3 player this morning, I'd have one on its way to me right now. Oh well, I'll just have to wait a little. I'd guess in another 6-8 months, the 550 will be around $100, just like the 350 is now.

-Keith

Aug 8, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #212 of 223
Hi LaurenEve, congra on ur player... damn... i "supposed" to get the silver one as well...
wink.gif
anyway, about the leather case... we both got the same one... it's my digicam's fault...
rolleyes.gif

Glad u like the 550... try to flash the firmware to 1.20 and u'll amaze how come that "superb small" toy has so many features... also try to play with Xtreme EQ to find a good curve to match with ur cans... then u'll never look back... (well... ok, few months)
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

Aug 8, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #213 of 223
Quote:

I'm worried about removing the sticker on the player, though. I've heard to use goo gone, but I'm not sure. I don't want to have a sticky residue on the beautiful finish.

I found it to be a smaller problem than reported, didn't use that long a time. I tried to tear it off slowly so most of the glue stayed with the sticker. But some got stuck, so I used something called JIF Universal (sold in Norway) and soaked the reminding glue with that. Then I polished it away. Repeated that JIF-polish cycle about three times. No markings at all is left. I have the black one.

Aug 8, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #214 of 223
Thanks for the suggestion about the sticker. I'm probably going to look for that stuff and then remove it in a few days or so.

And yeah! I am amazed at the player! I updated the firmware almost immediately and I'm really impressed. I had read some complaints on the iriver website about bugs on the 1.20 firmware, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I've been fooling around with the extreme eq and it's great! It's so much better than the eq adjustments that I was able to make with the 350. I love having a portable player that I can adjust the eq on, since most don't have this feature.

- Lauren-Eve

Aug 11, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #216 of 223
Quote:

Originally posted by LaurenEve
Thanks for the suggestion about the sticker. I'm probably going to look for that stuff and then remove it in a few days or so.

Has anyone even tried lighter fluid? That's the best for removing tacky gunk. We used it at the bookstore I worked at for removing stickers from books when returning them to publishers.

I don't know what the surface of the 550 is like, but I'd expect the fluid, which doesn't harm book covers, to do the trick without marring the magnesium finish.

Aug 18, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #218 of 223
At iRiver forums I got this reply when asked about comparing sound quality between analog and optical line-out:

"I have my iMP-550 connected to a Sony TA-E1000ESD Digital Preamp with an optical connection. There is a very noticable improvement in sound quality over using an analog connection..."

Anyone else here compared using optical line-out to analog line-out??????

Aug 20, 2003 at 9:47 AM Post #219 of 223
Yet another question about iMP550

The manual says that I can turn off the antiskip by turning and holding the +-10 switch to +10. When I do this the displays toggles between 3 symbols. The default one looks like a hamburger. Then it toggles to a circle with EP in it and finally to a simbol looking like a crossed CD. Anybody knows what exactly these three are? Couldn't find anything in the amnual.

Aug 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #222 of 223
what is the difference btwn the 350 EQ settings and the 550 EQ settings? are there improvements? i was lead to believe there is nothing new about the 550's EQ option???

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #223 of 223
There is an 'extreme EQ' option as well as a 3D sound option which are different from the 350.

As far as I can make out, Extreme EQ is just that, it provides huge leaps in db levels. The 3D option is crap-tacular to me but I can see it working quite well for undemanding people on certain recordings. It does actually work to provide a bigger sense of air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back